Bullnose Forums

Exhaust bolt sealant

Megiddo

3/8" deeper is significant, that is easily the casting thickness behind the bolt. that sounds like they drilled too far for certain. in this specific bolt position, is it possible to use a stud with a nut to tighten instead of a bolt? I know header bolts with reduced heads are the norm but some positions are tighter than others. in fact, fords factory mustang headers are clearance'd so full-size bolts can be used. I know they don't flow as much but they fit so much better

I don't think I could get a stud and nut in there. I'm using the bolts with reduced 3/8 inch heads and can just get a wrench on them.

bingo!

I used some of the locktite sealant Gary recommended. I haven't driven far, but have had the motor up to normal temp. So far so good. I'll just plan on changing anti freeze every time I take the headers off. Hopefully I'll have to change the antifreeze more often than I have to remove the headers.

I think you'll like that sealant. And especially if you put a stainless nut on a stainless bolt. I had a new, dry stainless nut seize on a new, dry stainless bolt before I started using that stuff. I never put stainless on stainless w/o the stuff now.

Good to know. My bolts are just plain the black oxide coated ones. I would try a stainless stud as was recommended, but I couldn't get a nut on it unless I did something weird with a spacer sleeve or something like that.