Bullnose Forums

low rpm shake diagnosis

mat in tn

one more thing. we did run the engine for quite some time on an engine run stand. up to temp a few times tuning and timing etc. no indication of any vibration etc . and solid mounts. should have been even more noticeable that way. run without torque converter on run stand.

To me that points to the converter as it was not bolted to the flex plate and spinning when the motor was running on the stand.

I think it was said to move the trans & converter back some and run and see if it dose it with motor bolted in the truck.

Bill said to move them back, rotate the converter 1/4 or 1/2 turn and bolt it back up but I dont think you can do that if it has a drain plug as the flex plate had a hole for it to pass through.

I dont get the strobe thing & movement but maybe if I seen it I would :nabble_anim_confused:

I forget when did this start, new motor or trans?

Then again it ran smooth on the stand and no converter ...........

Dave ----

On my OE flex plate there is only the ability to flip the converter 180* (1/2 turn) not 90* (1/4 turn) but my SFI replacement flexplate I bought how ever has drain openings on every corner that will allow for a 90* (1/4 turn). I thought that was nice for the aftermarket replacement flexplate to have that cause the OE one made it a pain as you had to get it exactly right where this one I have now doesnt matter just line the studs up and you are good as there is an access hole for the drain plug in every position.

yes they use a specific plug. but haven't we all seen where somebody changed something. if the thread is 1/8' npt then you might have a hollow base brass hex head plug which weighs one amount but then someone could easily thread in an 1/8" solid steel one weighing more without considering the balance.

yes they use a specific plug. but haven't we all seen where somebody changed something. if the thread is 1/8' npt then you might have a hollow base brass hex head plug which weighs one amount but then someone could easily thread in an 1/8" solid steel one weighing more without considering the balance.

This is exactly why the heavy spot needs to be found.

This is exactly why the heavy spot needs to be found.

today i had a chance to tune the truck a little and review a bit more before determining whether it's a dynamic shake from set up or an external balance issue. the owner wanted to cover the bases before going too deep. so, we removed the upper intake and went through the valve lash setup to double check his work. this turned out to be a perfect example of "don't change too much at one time". too many adverse effects. the rockers are comp cams magnum roller tip on 3/8 studs. it seemed to me that the adjustments were way to troublesome. same basic thing as the sbc and early sbf rockers. not sure how these are so finicky. either way it was easy to see how he had them so far off. i found a few very tight yet they are noisy as hell. anyway, now it runs better but the shake has not changed. he feels better knowing we have double checked all of that and we will see what he chooses to do from here. indexing the torque converter may be the next step. possibly three times.