Bullnose Forums

Show Planning - Classes & Trophies

Chris doesn't have "a" short cut. He's figured out several of them - apparently because he doesn't believe his GPS.

One was to take the business route into Ponca City, wherein he got lost. He called me from a Conoco gas station I used to drive by on my way to work every day, so I told him how to come on to Skiatook.

So, maybe flying IS better for him? :nabble_smiley_evil:

At least on a plane, he will not have to go off the beaten path seeking 100% premium gasoline. :nabble_smiley_grin:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least on a plane, he will not have to go off the beaten path seeking 100% premium gasoline. :nabble_smiley_grin:

LOL!!!!!!

Yeah, I've taken some unexpected detours over the years, that Conoco station is a tiny shack on a street corner but with some very friendly people! None of whom could tell me how to get to Skiatook, a foreign place to them. Seriously.

And some detours in Kansas, yes, on the hunt for non-ethanol, high-octane gasoline, the SHO loves that stuff. But I probably won't take one this year, I don't trust either of them for a trip like that at this point. My mom's boring Altima will have to do.

The truck gets 10 MPG, the gasoline cost would be twice what it normally is - about the price of a plane ticket & back. ;)

I guess I could put a bra on it, combined with some headlight covers & whatnot in an attempt to help aerodynamics. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

LOL!!!!!!

Yeah, I've taken some unexpected detours over the years, that Conoco station is a tiny shack on a street corner but with some very friendly people! None of whom could tell me how to get to Skiatook, a foreign place to them. Seriously.

And some detours in Kansas, yes, on the hunt for non-ethanol, high-octane gasoline, the SHO loves that stuff. But I probably won't take one this year, I don't trust either of them for a trip like that at this point. My mom's boring Altima will have to do.

The truck gets 10 MPG, the gasoline cost would be twice what it normally is - about the price of a plane ticket & back. ;)

I guess I could put a bra on it, combined with some headlight covers & whatnot in an attempt to help aerodynamics. :nabble_smiley_whistling:

I don’t think aerodynamics has much to do with it. I’m getting 11-12 MPG w/a 460 at 65 MPH, and the engine is spinning 2500 RPM. That’s the same RPM the 2.4.L Subaru is turning at that speed. 🤪

But your 400 should do better than 10. Bring it down - we might get you to 12. 😉

I don’t think aerodynamics has much to do with it. I’m getting 11-12 MPG w/a 460 at 65 MPH, and the engine is spinning 2500 RPM. That’s the same RPM the 2.4.L Subaru is turning at that speed. 🤪

But your 400 should do better than 10. Bring it down - we might get you to 12. 😉

Man, I gotta come to the GTG next year, I'd love to get 11-12! I'm lucky if I get 10. Need a real good test though with the new Holley on there.

LOL!!!!!!

Chris, I can guide you in from Wichita, I have a GPS on my motorbike, lol.... Rt 15 - 18 - 20

Gary, I take a 3X..........

LOL!!!!!!

You do have experience with bras, don't you, Chris? :nabble_anim_blbl:

Grumpin - A big difference is that I have a T19 and you have the C6. The unlocked torque converter plus the other, pretty serious, inefficiencies in the C6 can account for up to 2 MPG of loss. Not saying don't come as I'd love to meet you, but 10 - 11 MPG may be all yours is good for. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Vinny - You've stumbled onto a good route, assuming you don't want to be on the turnpike/interstate. I'm originally from Arkansas City, KS and have driven those roads many, many times. The route you outlined is through some of the better countryside in that part of Kansas. But if you want to make time, I35 to US60 to either 18 & then 20 or 99 to 20 is the faster way. And, the shirt size, and implied offer to help, is noted. Thanks!

David - Good one!

Grumpin - A big difference is that I have a T19 and you have the C6. The unlocked torque converter plus the other, pretty serious, inefficiencies in the C6 can account for up to 2 MPG of loss. Not saying don't come as I'd love to meet you, but 10 - 11 MPG may be all yours is good for. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Vinny - You've stumbled onto a good route, assuming you don't want to be on the turnpike/interstate. I'm originally from Arkansas City, KS and have driven those roads many, many times. The route you outlined is through some of the better countryside in that part of Kansas. But if you want to make time, I35 to US60 to either 18 & then 20 or 99 to 20 is the faster way. And, the shirt size, and implied offer to help, is noted. Thanks!

David - Good one!

Yes Gary, put me to work if you need me, scheduled be in town on the 12th, but can be there earlier if you need me.

I've been sticking to the back roads for my summer motorbike trip, logged 7k miles so far, only a few times have I been pushed on to the hyways

Yes Gary, put me to work if you need me, scheduled be in town on the 12th, but can be there earlier if you need me.

I've been sticking to the back roads for my summer motorbike trip, logged 7k miles so far, only a few times have I been pushed on to the hyways

Let me know when you get to town. The 12th is Wednesday and we have church that evening. But others may be coming in on Thursday and we could get together here at the house & shop then as well as during the day on Friday. Then Friday evening we plan to have a dinner at our house for all those who've come from afar, so please plan on that as well.

As for working, my intent is to have some highly-visible shirts made so that those coming into the show can find one of us that knows what is going on. (Which tells me that I need to think through what is going on and cover that with y'all on Friday evening. :nabble_anim_confused:) Then, when you wear the shirt "back home" people will ask questions.