Bullnose Forums

Mufflers - Flowmaster FlowFx vs. Magnaflow

Machspeed

I'm in somewhat of a quandary in selecting mufflers for my truck. Currently running some old Flowmaster, 40 series, I think. I like the sound at idle but that's just about it. Gary said he had a set and they sounded flatulent. That descriptive best describes how mine sound.

I had been looking at some Magnaflow's but the guy that is doing the exhaust work for me said Flowmaster makes their own version of the Magnaflow. These are both straight through mufflers and I wouldn't think they'd sound too much different. The big thing is, the Magnaflow's are $115 each and the Flowmasters are $47. And, I gotta say, upon inspection, I was very impressed with the Magnaflows. These too are stainless. Was wondering if anyone could confirm that these two, straight through mufflers, sound the same or close to?

Below is a video of a truck that is configured just like mine will be.... headers, true duals, X-Pipe, routed out the side. I really like the sound of this truck.

I wasn't aware of the new Flowmasters until you mentioned them today so obviously can't give you any input on your question. But with the money you have in your truck I think I'd go with what you know gives the sound you want - Magnaflows.

And, by the way, those Magnaflows on the truck in the video are probably shorter than the ones on Big Blue. I say that because the sound is different. Sharper. Not better or worse, just different. But both that truck and Big Blue sound good.

I wasn't aware of the new Flowmasters until you mentioned them today so obviously can't give you any input on your question. But with the money you have in your truck I think I'd go with what you know gives the sound you want - Magnaflows.

And, by the way, those Magnaflows on the truck in the video are probably shorter than the ones on Big Blue. I say that because the sound is different. Sharper. Not better or worse, just different. But both that truck and Big Blue sound good.

That "sharper" sound may be because of the X-pipe. An X-pipe will produce a more "exotic" sound. An H-pipe is a bit more old school and will produce more of a classic "rumble."

I went through all of this years ago when I was deciding on an exhaust system for Lucille.

Here is cool video that demonstrates both configurations with a Magnaflow muffler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ww2sHY8HB4watch?

That "sharper" sound may be because of the X-pipe. An X-pipe will produce a more "exotic" sound. An H-pipe is a bit more old school and will produce more of a classic "rumble."

I went through all of this years ago when I was deciding on an exhaust system for Lucille.

Here is cool video that demonstrates both configurations with a Magnaflow muffler:

Good point. And for the record, I have an H-pipe on Big Blue.

Good video, Rick. Thanks for the input.

Well, pulled the trigger on a couple of Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers. Found them on Amazon for $40 each. Got those and a couple of V-clamps. After much web surfing, read that the two mufflers sound nearly the same. Figure if I don't like them, I can cut them off and will only be out $80. Went with these open style mufflers because of the sound, less likely to drone over the chambered type mufflers, and less restrictive. That is what I've read, anyway.

When it all goes on, I'll post again. Maybe do a video somewhat like the above that I posted.

Thanks again for the input, gentlemen!

Good video, Rick. Thanks for the input.

Well, pulled the trigger on a couple of Flowmaster FlowFX mufflers. Found them on Amazon for $40 each. Got those and a couple of V-clamps. After much web surfing, read that the two mufflers sound nearly the same. Figure if I don't like them, I can cut them off and will only be out $80. Went with these open style mufflers because of the sound, less likely to drone over the chambered type mufflers, and less restrictive. That is what I've read, anyway.

When it all goes on, I'll post again. Maybe do a video somewhat like the above that I posted.

Thanks again for the input, gentlemen!

Cool! Can't wait to hear the new system. :nabble_smiley_good: