Bullnose Forums

Thoughts On How To Use The Projects Section

I'm amenable to whatever, and can create the new folder and allow the author to lock the thread wherever we want it. But, it isn't intuitively obvious to me why it should go in resources. Again, I'm ok with that. Maybe we need a poll?

As for archiving completed project threads into another folder, I'm planning to do that on my Pormido mirror camera system. That's because it was quite a learning exercise and I stumbled around a lot. And we chased a number of rabbits, which is great as it is part of our community, but the outsiders are just looking for the facts, Jack.

So I plan to write up a new thread explaining how it was finally done. An "as-built" if you will. For instance, I'll explain that I'm using two 2 meter extensions for the front camera, and that I'd tried a 10 meter extension but it didn't work. Plus, I'll give them a link to the discussion about the error messages I got when I tried that, but won't go back over the long and gory details.

And it'll be a link to that thread that I'll include in my review on Amazon of the system.

I think we are using terms differently in some cases :nabble_smiley_beam:

I am using "project threads" to mean threads inside the Projects folder that generally deal with a singular truck, boat, car, etc but not individual tasks - like installing a camera, stereo, etc

I don't see a demand for archiving Projects folder project threads. I just can't think of a reason to do so. Doesn't mean there isn't one though.

As for your Pormido install, you are wanting to create a version that just contains the facts on how to install it without discussion mixed in - to me that's the definition of a How-To :nabble_smiley_tongue:

I am a huge fan of How-To's and getting more of those is always great. Just think of how many have benefited from the Door Hinge Repair how-to on FTE you contributed photos to!

We already have some great ones on our site like Jonathan's Salvaging Rosewood, which lives under Resources > Interior.

I know a lot of the things under Resources are links but it was just based on threads like Jonathan's already existing that led me to suggest the camera install go under Resources.

Creating an intuitive structure is key though so I think this is a good discussion.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using "project threads" to mean threads inside the Projects folder that generally deal with a singular truck, boat, car, etc but not individual tasks - like installing a camera, stereo, etc

I don't see a demand for archiving Projects folder project threads. I just can't think of a reason to do so. Doesn't mean there isn't one though.

As for your Pormido install, you are wanting to create a version that just contains the facts on how to install it without discussion mixed in - to me that's the definition of a How-To :nabble_smiley_tongue:

I am a huge fan of How-To's and getting more of those is always great. Just think of how many have benefited from the Door Hinge Repair how-to on FTE you contributed photos to!

We already have some great ones on our site like Jonathan's Salvaging Rosewood, which lives under Resources > Interior.

I know a lot of the things under Resources are links but it was just based on threads like Jonathan's already existing that led me to suggest the camera install go under Resources.

Creating an intuitive structure is key though so I think this is a good discussion.

Agree with Scott, Gary. You should do what you're doing and put it in a "How-To". I too, love How To's....say that five times!

Bill - Yes, I remember that.

Scott & John, you'se guys caused me to look at the Resources tab. It needs a lot of work. :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

On the current subject, are you saying we need a How To folder within the Resources folder? Or do we have a How To folder in each of the pinned topics?

I think we need to completely re-think the Resources folder before we start making changes. A lot of that stuff is way out of date, or shouldn't have been there in the first place - with my limited understanding of what the folder is for.

Could I get one of you to take that on? Right now it says "Below are threads, or topics, that list resource links for various part of the Bullnose trucks. Click on the thread to access the links for that topic." But that doesn't seem to be what you are talking about doing with it.

Resources_Snag.thumb.jpg.27b81b5360f0ca3e1cd854be432c8cd1.jpg

Bill - Yes, I remember that.

Scott & John, you'se guys caused me to look at the Resources tab. It needs a lot of work. :nabble_face-with-open-mouth-vomiting-23x23_orig:

On the current subject, are you saying we need a How To folder within the Resources folder? Or do we have a How To folder in each of the pinned topics?

I think we need to completely re-think the Resources folder before we start making changes. A lot of that stuff is way out of date, or shouldn't have been there in the first place - with my limited understanding of what the folder is for.

Could I get one of you to take that on? Right now it says "Below are threads, or topics, that list resource links for various part of the Bullnose trucks. Click on the thread to access the links for that topic." But that doesn't seem to be what you are talking about doing with it.

Happy to take that on once we identify the plan for it.

Definitely up for discussion but my proposal would be:

1. Rename the folder to "Resources and How-To's"

2. Move any existing threads that don't fit into one of these into the correct place on the forum

3. Create folders for the various sections: Drivetrain, Interior, Electrical, Engine, etc

4. Move any existing threads into the appropriate folder

Thoughts?

Happy to take that on once we identify the plan for it.

Definitely up for discussion but my proposal would be:

1. Rename the folder to "Resources and How-To's"

2. Move any existing threads that don't fit into one of these into the correct place on the forum

3. Create folders for the various sections: Drivetrain, Interior, Electrical, Engine, etc

4. Move any existing threads into the appropriate folder

Thoughts?

I like that plan. But I think we are going to have to have some discussions on what belongs and what doesn't. For instance, I don't think that pleas for help belong, even if people have supplied good info.

Which then leads to needing to think through what to do with those threads.

In fact, it might need a discussion re who can post there.

Thoughts?

I like that plan. But I think we are going to have to have some discussions on what belongs and what doesn't. For instance, I don't think that pleas for help belong, even if people have supplied good info.

Which then leads to needing to think through what to do with those threads.

In fact, it might need a discussion re who can post there.

Thoughts?

Agreed on all accounts.

I think pleas for help should just go in the main forum.

People listing specialty things they can help with belong there but another user asking them for this help should go in the main forum (tagging them) or via outside communication if they don't want a public discussion on it (like paying for a service).

I would be up for anyone posting there so as to promote people putting together how-tos without a lot of red tape. Would just be a case where threads may get moved by admins more aggressively than other folders in order to keep things clean and relevant.

?

Agreed on all accounts.

I think pleas for help should just go in the main forum.

People listing specialty things they can help with belong there but another user asking them for this help should go in the main forum (tagging them) or via outside communication if they don't want a public discussion on it (like paying for a service).

I would be up for anyone posting there so as to promote people putting together how-tos without a lot of red tape. Would just be a case where threads may get moved by admins more aggressively than other folders in order to keep things clean and relevant.

?

Agreed. However, isn't a "how-to" a specifically crafted post or post w/o other people's to and fro? Would that help people understand what we are looking for?

Agreed. However, isn't a "how-to" a specifically crafted post or post w/o other people's to and fro? Would that help people understand what we are looking for?

Yes or at least up to the user that posts it I guess. Whether they want to lock it or not :nabble_smiley_happy:

I am not really set either way on if discussions should be prevented or not. I can see pros and cons of both so maybe leaving it to the OP would work? That said, I think it would be better if people have questions on a how-to to start a thread in the main forum and just reference the how-to. Would get more visibility there.

Yes, and if we have "How-To's" that have good information and are well done, I personally would really like to see all the nonessential jargon removed.

Yes, and if we have "How-To's" that have good information and are well done, I personally would really like to see all the nonessential jargon removed.

Agreed - the How-To itself has to be uninterrupted. Either a single post or multiple posts if long but still uninterrupted by any discussion.

I think the question is whether there should be discussion allowed after the initial post in the How-To. I kind of feel like this is up to the OP but no strong feelings either way.

I know some of the resources (like the Rosewood Restoration) are actual pages on the site, that won't really be maintainable so going forward I think we can assume all How-Tos will be in a forum post format.