Bullnose Forum

Thoughts On How To Use The Projects Section

Agreed. However, isn't a "how-to" a specifically crafted post or post w/o other people's to and fro? Would that help people understand what we are looking for?

Yes, and if we have "How-To's" that have good information and are well done, I personally would really like to see all the nonessential jargon removed.

My concern is how to decide if something is a reasonable how-to. My current Pormido thread certainly isn't a candidate in my books due to all of the discussion about other things. But it has good info in it and could be useful to someone. So if we don't say there can be no discussion in a thread that is a candidate for being a "how-to" then how will we decide what is too much discussion?

I think we say how-to's are specifically written to show the audience how to do something, and are locked and can have no replies. But, I'm not saying this as the guy that makes the decisions. I'm saying this as one of the team. So I'm happy to have a discussion about it. Is there a better way?

My concern is how to decide if something is a reasonable how-to. My current Pormido thread certainly isn't a candidate in my books due to all of the discussion about other things. But it has good info in it and could be useful to someone. So if we don't say there can be no discussion in a thread that is a candidate for being a "how-to" then how will we decide what is too much discussion?

I think we say how-to's are specifically written to show the audience how to do something, and are locked and can have no replies. But, I'm not saying this as the guy that makes the decisions. I'm saying this as one of the team. So I'm happy to have a discussion about it. Is there a better way?

I am looking at it that a How-To is a completed action documented start to finish within the scope of the action. If it's not that then it should be requested for the OP to continue working on it outside of the Resources folder.

I feel safe to say we are all in agreement that the actual How-To shouldn't have discussion mixed in it. :nabble_smiley_good:

But let's say, using your camera thread as an example, 5 years go by and Pormido sells out to Pormidon't and the model numbers you used are no longer available. To me I don't see a problem with having the thread unlocked so that someone in the future can chime in (after the How-To post) and say "here are the new model numbers X, Y, Z".

Or if they want clarification on step 4 they can ask for it there.

Having read only has benefits also. So ultimately my vote would be letting the threads be locked by the OP. This could also be one of those things that we just flip a coin, choose one and then deal with changing it as it plays out.

I am looking at it that a How-To is a completed action documented start to finish within the scope of the action. If it's not that then it should be requested for the OP to continue working on it outside of the Resources folder.

I feel safe to say we are all in agreement that the actual How-To shouldn't have discussion mixed in it. :nabble_smiley_good:

But let's say, using your camera thread as an example, 5 years go by and Pormido sells out to Pormidon't and the model numbers you used are no longer available. To me I don't see a problem with having the thread unlocked so that someone in the future can chime in (after the How-To post) and say "here are the new model numbers X, Y, Z".

Or if they want clarification on step 4 they can ask for it there.

Having read only has benefits also. So ultimately my vote would be letting the threads be locked by the OP. This could also be one of those things that we just flip a coin, choose one and then deal with changing it as it plays out.

Yes, a how-to is completed and has no discussion. I think we all agree.

But, if it ain't locked it will have discussion. John proved that when someone wanted to reply on his burgeoning thread on his "John's 86 F-150 4x4 Resto" thread - in spite of the first post saying it was locked. So do we then take it out of How-To's?

And years later, when it becomes Pormidon't (cute) someone can try to reply, get the pop-up, and ask to post. That generates an email to at least the admins, but I'm not sure if it does to the original poster. I need to check that out - after I get ready for Bible class...

Yes, a how-to is completed and has no discussion. I think we all agree.

But, if it ain't locked it will have discussion. John proved that when someone wanted to reply on his burgeoning thread on his "John's 86 F-150 4x4 Resto" thread - in spite of the first post saying it was locked. So do we then take it out of How-To's?

And years later, when it becomes Pormidon't (cute) someone can try to reply, get the pop-up, and ask to post. That generates an email to at least the admins, but I'm not sure if it does to the original poster. I need to check that out - after I get ready for Bible class...

Ready for class, so I tested and my GaryKennethLewis email account did not get notification. But my main admin account did. So this doesn't work very well. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Ready for class, so I tested and my GaryKennethLewis email account did not get notification. But my main admin account did. So this doesn't work very well. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Respectfully disagree! If something changes, you get the notification for which you can then contact the OP to make changes. If you can't get ahold of the OP, you make the changes. Keep in mind, not everyone that generates a "How-To" is going to stay as an active member. People lose interest, sell their trucks, and we never see them again. That said, what's important is that you can make whatever changes.

Another thing! I'm thinking before a "How-To" is submitted, it be reviewed by the moderators. One, to ask questions that could clear up confusion in the written word and the other so that we know it's in there. I personally don't read everything that comes up here. Some things just don't interest me or I feel I might not be able to contribute. But, something like a "How-To", I need to know it's in there such that I can give direction. Frankly, I could better myself by spending more time navigating through the website and knowing what's in it. I frequently find little gold nuggets every now and then that I did not know about.

Respectfully disagree! If something changes, you get the notification for which you can then contact the OP to make changes. If you can't get ahold of the OP, you make the changes. Keep in mind, not everyone that generates a "How-To" is going to stay as an active member. People lose interest, sell their trucks, and we never see them again. That said, what's important is that you can make whatever changes.

Another thing! I'm thinking before a "How-To" is submitted, it be reviewed by the moderators. One, to ask questions that could clear up confusion in the written word and the other so that we know it's in there. I personally don't read everything that comes up here. Some things just don't interest me or I feel I might not be able to contribute. But, something like a "How-To", I need to know it's in there such that I can give direction. Frankly, I could better myself by spending more time navigating through the website and knowing what's in it. I frequently find little gold nuggets every now and then that I did not know about.

Fair enough Gary - let's go with the locked thread approach.

My next question would be who is responsible for the locking and can that be automated (I assume not). But that will probably be answered based on the following discussion-

John - Does that mean the admin would post it or temporarily unlock the section for the user to post?

I was thinking just let anyone post and if it needs a little more work we let the user know so they can fine tune it. My concern is that getting too formal with it might create some entry barriers.

Admins could subscribe to the folder so they get notified of any changes.

Another thing! I'm thinking before a "How-To" is submitted, it be reviewed by the moderators. One, to ask questions that could clear up confusion in the written word and the other so that we know it's in there.

John - I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. That it doesn't work well since the OP doesn't get notified?

And who is "you"? I'm ok if we have a designated "you", and since Scott volunteered I'd expect that he would follow up with whomever asks for access. Just don't want all of us to be in a circle pointing left - he'll do it.

And I'd assume he'd be the "moderator" to review it. Right?

My next question would be who is responsible for the locking and can that be automated (I assume not). But that will probably be answered based on the following discussion-

John - Does that mean the admin would post it or temporarily unlock the section for the user to post?

I was thinking just let anyone post and if it needs a little more work we let the user know so they can fine tune it. My concern is that getting too formal with it might create some entry barriers.

We can't automate it. But we can set it up so only the author and moderators can lock it. Or just moderators.

And to answer for John, it has to be unlocked before anyone can post. So having the OP edit it but the moderators unlock is a pain.

As for letting anyone post, that will work if we have someone responsible for the section, someone that watches it closely. Frankly I'd not seen some of those posts, several of which do not belong, in spite of being subscribed to everything on the forum. (Yep. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

• 2 weeks later...

Another thing! I'm thinking before a "How-To" is submitted, it be reviewed by the moderators. One, to ask questions that could clear up confusion in the written word and the other so that we know it's in there.

John - I'm not sure what you are disagreeing with. That it doesn't work well since the OP doesn't get notified?

And who is "you"? I'm ok if we have a designated "you", and since Scott volunteered I'd expect that he would follow up with whomever asks for access. Just don't want all of us to be in a circle pointing left - he'll do it.

And I'd assume he'd be the "moderator" to review it. Right?

We can't automate it. But we can set it up so only the author and moderators can lock it. Or just moderators.

And to answer for John, it has to be unlocked before anyone can post. So having the OP edit it but the moderators unlock is a pain.

As for letting anyone post, that will work if we have someone responsible for the section, someone that watches it closely. Frankly I'd not seen some of those posts, several of which do not belong, in spite of being subscribed to everything on the forum. (Yep. :nabble_smiley_oh:)

Ok guys, I'm starting to do my Pormido mirror how-to so I renamed "Resources" to "Resources & How-To's" and within that created a "How-To's" folder. And then I turned on the ability to lock a topic.

However, don't miss the description of the How-To folder:

This folder is intended to have soup-to-nuts how-to's which document a way to do something. They should be "locked" so there is no discussion in order to make them concise and to the point.

The author should create the initial entry and once it is posted lock the thread by clicking Options/Lock Topic in the upper right. Then when s/he wants to either edit that post or add more posts unlock the thread and create the post.

However, it is possible that someone slips in while the editing is happening, and in those cases just alert a moderator and we'll remove the post.

Is that what we want? Or, do we want to have some admin in charge and run all how-to's through him?

Ok guys, I'm starting to do my Pormido mirror how-to so I renamed "Resources" to "Resources & How-To's" and within that created a "How-To's" folder. And then I turned on the ability to lock a topic.

However, don't miss the description of the How-To folder:

This folder is intended to have soup-to-nuts how-to's which document a way to do something. They should be "locked" so there is no discussion in order to make them concise and to the point.

The author should create the initial entry and once it is posted lock the thread by clicking Options/Lock Topic in the upper right. Then when s/he wants to either edit that post or add more posts unlock the thread and create the post.

However, it is possible that someone slips in while the editing is happening, and in those cases just alert a moderator and we'll remove the post.

Is that what we want? Or, do we want to have some admin in charge and run all how-to's through him?

I think they should be reviewed upon submission to clear up any obscurities. The written word does not always translate well.