Bullnose Forums

'85 4.9 WITH ALL emissions equip vac routing RESOLVED (mostly)

Welp either the way it was set up before I took my vacuum lines apart for manifold gasket was wrong (I took pics, labeled as best as possible, etc), or I am terrible at diagrams. Or both. While the General runs and drives, has power, etc, there is major bucking, tossing, etc at idle (neutral). Definitely seems like I got something wrong. :nabble_smiley_cry:(Everything on manifolds, carb base, nice and tight)

I do have the factory sticker diagram but the colors are faded and it seemed to be a strange reflection of what I actually have under my hood. Most of it seemed the same but.... I am so confused now. Truck, you are breakin my heart!

I have looked and looked online, in my Chiltons, and through both forums and while there is a lot of info for people who REMOVED their emissions equipment OR have a slightly earlier (or later) 4.9, the best I can find for my truck (1985 4.9 2wd manual, all smog equipment intact and most of it already replaced in my efforts to pass smog, which I did--and professionally rebuilt Carter carb) is, ....the exact same diagram as on my truck, but with the colors not faded.

Did I overlook an important post somewhere? Does anyone have this exact setup (California) that could snap a couple quick pics?

I am going to have to take it in to a shop otherwise, and based on my experience with shops so far, I have little confidence in finding someone who won't BS me, mess it up worse, or just plain waste my time and money. I swear I would drive 500 miles to get to someone who REALLY actually knew this truck, instead of knowing ....a few things here and there. I am doing my best and it's just not really good enough.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you have a calibration code sticker on your valve cover or somewhere? It would be like the one shown below.

If you do have, or if we can figure it out, I have the vacuum routing info. But since there are 7 different calibration codes for a 4.9L in 1985 we need to figure out which one you have.

how-to-use-calibration-codes-3_orig.thumb.jpg.b4fbfb1ea25dc0862f654af822fb14e1.jpg

For instance, here's the info for 9-77J-R12, only I have it in paper form so can get it much sharper if needed:

Calibration_No.thumb.jpg.8624cabbfcec032e48ed6cc58af77843.jpg

And then here's the parts list for that calibration:

Calibration_Parts_List_41.thumb.jpg.82124622e13d6829b951b5a78c05f251.jpg

My sticker does not have a calibration number above it. Not sure where else to look...it's not inside the door frame by the GWR sticker either...

E5AE-9C485-CLH is the part number for a blank sticker. :nabble_smiley_wink:

But that sticker is not the calibration sticker. As said, if you have one it'll be on the valve cover.

If you don't have one then tomorrow I'll scan all 7 of the pages like the one above and you can compare the vacuum routing diagrams to yours. When you find a match we are basically home as then we'll know all the details.

Or, if your distributor is original and has a tag on I can find that number. Or if the carb is original and has the tag.

I see. Yeah the valve cover sticker was long gone when I got the truck.

Distributor is new, carb is original but I am unsure if it still has a tag. I'll go check.

So, what does the metal painted tag above the engine refer to, then? Useless gibberish to my untrained eye haha!

I see. Yeah the valve cover sticker was long gone when I got the truck.

Distributor is new, carb is original but I am unsure if it still has a tag. I'll go check.

So, what does the metal painted tag above the engine refer to, then? Useless gibberish to my untrained eye haha!

That is a "buck" tag and was used on several pieces to bring them together on the assembly line. Beds, cabs, and some radiator supports had them. And I don't know how to decode them.

Tomorrow I'll scan in the other 6 of the pages and post them so you can compare the vacuum diagrams to yours. You should find a match.