Bullnose Forums

1997 Ford F350 Pickup XLT Pickup 54000 Original Miles

This could have MAF. I believe 1995 and up could have either MAP or MAF. I’ve found no rhyme or reason to which.

I can only speak to the 5.0L, but it is my understanding that the 5.0 pickups with automatics got MAF in 1995, and the manuals did not. In 1996 both manuals and autos got MAF. The 1995 F150 5.0 I bought to junk for the chassis was a 5spd truck and was not MAF.

I was just curious what the MAF scoop was on the 5.8L. Since they kept using the 5.8L a full year after the 5.0L was discontinued in the pickups, I was curious if it ever got the "upgrade". My friend Chris has a 1997 F350 same as the one here, and it has a build date of 11/97 so they must have built them right up until the end of the calendar year.

Well that’s interesting! I would not have thought that the transmission would make a determining factor.

As it turns out I have the 1996 EVTM, and the difference between MAF and speed density on a 5.8L is the GVW rating. Trucks with a GVW of under 8500 got MAF, and trucks over that got speed density - regardless of what transmission they have.

Similarly the trucks with 7.5L engines got speed density, with the exception of those with California specifications, which got MAF.

I'm guessing that speed density was less expensive for Ford, so they used it except where the law forced them to a system that happened to use MAF. For instance the EEC-IV system used in the trucks didn't have an OBD-II interface, but EEC-V did and it had MAF.

Looking at this site, California required OBD-II on all cars and light trucks in 1996. But the Feds apparently didn't require trucks over 8500 GVW to have OBD-II until later, and I've not found that date.

As it turns out I have the 1996 EVTM, and the difference between MAF and speed density on a 5.8L is the GVW rating. Trucks with a GVW of under 8500 got MAF, and trucks over that got speed density - regardless of what transmission they have.

Similarly the trucks with 7.5L engines got speed density, with the exception of those with California specifications, which got MAF.

I'm guessing that speed density was less expensive for Ford, so they used it except where the law forced them to a system that happened to use MAF. For instance the EEC-IV system used in the trucks didn't have an OBD-II interface, but EEC-V did and it had MAF.

Looking at this site, California required OBD-II on all cars and light trucks in 1996. But the Feds apparently didn't require trucks over 8500 GVW to have OBD-II until later, and I've not found that date.

Thanks Gary, good to know.