Bullnose Forums

Fuel Vapor Separator?

Cbarnes

Has anyone ever checked fuel pressure at the carb? Factory service manual says 4.3. Mine is only at 2.2 so I've just begun diagnoses, but I'm leaning toward fuel pumps,, partially because the sender portion of both senders has always been off so I'm thinking they are simply worn out.

Mike

I've not checked the pressure there, but bear in mind that there are three different orifice sizes, so it isn't likely that one PSI rating would cover all three.

I've not checked the pressure there, but bear in mind that there are three different orifice sizes, so it isn't likely that one PSI rating would cover all three.

Understood, but my issue is like some others here I think, and like you I put an adjustable regulator with a return in it's place. I still only can get 2.1 psi, so I checked pressure before the regulator, and still only 2.1 psi. So now I'm working back towards the switching valve to check pressure on both sides to see what the pumps are actually producing.

And just to check my sanity,, the 460 setup does not have a 3rd pump on the frame,, right? I ask this because there is a "splice" of rubber hose in the hard plastic factory fuel supply hose from the switch valve leading up to the motor and I cannot figure out why it's there, unless there was some damage to the line of some kind in the past and this was a quick fix.

Mike

Understood, but my issue is like some others here I think, and like you I put an adjustable regulator with a return in it's place. I still only can get 2.1 psi, so I checked pressure before the regulator, and still only 2.1 psi. So now I'm working back towards the switching valve to check pressure on both sides to see what the pumps are actually producing.

And just to check my sanity,, the 460 setup does not have a 3rd pump on the frame,, right? I ask this because there is a "splice" of rubber hose in the hard plastic factory fuel supply hose from the switch valve leading up to the motor and I cannot figure out why it's there, unless there was some damage to the line of some kind in the past and this was a quick fix.

Mike

I've not seen a 3rd pump on a 460. Perhaps Bill has? I'll tag him.

I've not seen a 3rd pump on a 460. Perhaps Bill has? I'll tag him.

Thanks,, After doing more digging here, I found TSB showing how and where to check fuel pressure before the separator/regulator. It says the psi before the regulator should be at least 5.5 psi, and if not then replace the pump/sender. That's where I'm headed now... but I'm gonna check it right outta the pump, even before the switch valve.

Thanks,, After doing more digging here, I found TSB showing how and where to check fuel pressure before the separator/regulator. It says the psi before the regulator should be at least 5.5 psi, and if not then replace the pump/sender. That's where I'm headed now... but I'm gonna check it right outta the pump, even before the switch valve.

Glad you found that. Good luck!

• 1 year later...

I think I have the vapor separator I took off Big Blue. I replaced it with a return-style pressure regulator, and that worked quite well, so should be an option for you.

But if you'd like to have the spare vapor separator it is yours for the shipping - assuming I still have it.

Hello Gary, my bull-headed octogenarian dad has an '87 F250 with the 460 that won't run, ostensibly because the vapor separator is clogged. I can't find E3TZ-9N176-A (.06 red dot), or B (.04 blue dot) anywhere. You had offered yours from Big Blue to another gentleman for the price of shipping. He was able to fix his leak so my hope is you still have it. Dad's "Portable Raised Bed Garden" doesn't really roll off the tongue, but it IS descriptive. Can Big Blue help her realize the "Portable" part again?

Hello Gary, my bull-headed octogenarian dad has an '87 F250 with the 460 that won't run, ostensibly because the vapor separator is clogged. I can't find E3TZ-9N176-A (.06 red dot), or B (.04 blue dot) anywhere. You had offered yours from Big Blue to another gentleman for the price of shipping. He was able to fix his leak so my hope is you still have it. Dad's "Portable Raised Bed Garden" doesn't really roll off the tongue, but it IS descriptive. Can Big Blue help her realize the "Portable" part again?

E0TZ-9N176-B

One Found at NOS Only Parts in San Jose Ca. (408) 227-2353

----------------------------------------------

E3TZ-9N176-A

No one has any used or New Old Stock.

--------------------------------------------

E3TZ-9N176-B

"High Buck" Bob Allen Ford in Overland Park, Kansas Has One: (913) 381-2999

I will have to see if I still have it. But before we get to that we need to discuss the guidelines. The email you were sent asked you to go to the New Members Start Here folder and post an introduction thread there. And in doing so you would have had a chance to see the guidelines, which are posted there. Since we hold everyone to the guidelines we want to ensure you've had a chance to see them.

Don't worry that you missed the email as many people do. But please confirm that you've read the guidelines.

And tomorrow I'll look for the separator.