Bullnose Forums

Question about seat belts

Well, I need to know the answer to this as I'm planning to bolt captain's chairs in Big Blue, which has a bench. :nabble_anim_confused:

Unfortunately I can't answer the question of length, but I can say the part numbers are different, and I'd bet the length is different. Here's what I'm seeing on our page at Documentation/Interior/Seat Belts. So something is different with bench vs captain's chairs vs buckets. And I'll bet it is length. :nabble_smiley_oh:

Gary, it probably also has to do with the mounting location. Bench seats have a total of 3 belt sets, left, right and center. The inboard portion of the outer belts are the buckle and they share the bolts with the center belt. On Captain's chairs, the inner may attach to the seat base as it does on some E-series vehicles.

Now for an interesting fact I discovered on Darth, if you have a crew cab, the rear of the cab (back wall and corners) are the same pieces as a standard cab. The corner trim is also the same. There is a blank filler inserted where the seat belt would come through and there is a threaded hole under the rear trim with a rubber plug in it. At the top corner, behind the trim is a mount for a seat belt retractor, it has the hole stamped in it, but it was never tapped. An extra set of front shoulder belts can be installed there by tapping the hole with a 7/16-20 tap. This brings the rear seat outboard belts up to modern standards for securing a child seat.

You have to use 1980-1986 belts, as the retractor was moved to near the bottom of the pillar/corner in 1987. The retractor has to be mounted in the correct orientation in order for it to function properly.

Gary, it probably also has to do with the mounting location. Bench seats have a total of 3 belt sets, left, right and center. The inboard portion of the outer belts are the buckle and they share the bolts with the center belt. On Captain's chairs, the inner may attach to the seat base as it does on some E-series vehicles.

Now for an interesting fact I discovered on Darth, if you have a crew cab, the rear of the cab (back wall and corners) are the same pieces as a standard cab. The corner trim is also the same. There is a blank filler inserted where the seat belt would come through and there is a threaded hole under the rear trim with a rubber plug in it. At the top corner, behind the trim is a mount for a seat belt retractor, it has the hole stamped in it, but it was never tapped. An extra set of front shoulder belts can be installed there by tapping the hole with a 7/16-20 tap. This brings the rear seat outboard belts up to modern standards for securing a child seat.

You have to use 1980-1986 belts, as the retractor was moved to near the bottom of the pillar/corner in 1987. The retractor has to be mounted in the correct orientation in order for it to function properly.

That is really interesting Bill. Wish the supercabs had the upper mount like that :nabble_smiley_sad:

For the captain belts the two center latch pieces go into holes near, but separate, from the seat mounting holes.

That is really interesting Bill. Wish the supercabs had the upper mount like that :nabble_smiley_sad:

For the captain belts the two center latch pieces go into holes near, but separate, from the seat mounting holes.

Bill - Yes, thanks. That may help others.

Scott - On the center belts on the captain's chairs, are the mounting points on the chair's base? Or in the floor pan?

I'll have to check the adapter pan that I have to see if it has mounting points for those belts if they aren't on the chair itself.

Will this work? :nabble_anim_confused:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124686157443?epid=1411187795&hash=item1d07dfc683:g:DdkAAOSwyo9ge6yR

https://www.ebay.com/itm/144301046723?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=144301046723&targetid=1263104805766&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9012676&poi=&campaignid=14859008593&mkgroupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1263104805766&abcId=9300678&merchantid=114176135&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_c-OBhDFARIsAIFg3ewAU1Tczg1dhI_kR0nz_YpMo__ckmfM34VVOG9Ga7HsstWwUbhVP00aAv1HEALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165178202280?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=165178202280&targetid=1262375642056&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9012676&poi=&campaignid=15275224983&mkgroupid=131097072938&rlsatarget=pla-1262375642056&abcId=9300697&merchantid=108565480&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_c-OBhDFARIsAIFg3eyRU9678ouV4DGd4rrjy7sjXtzuxmHZvZxicNU1fLq_cohbLg0Yvl4aAk7gEALw_wcB

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133688756999?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=133688756999&targetid=1262779894009&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9012676&poi=&campaignid=14859008593&mkgroupid=130497710760&rlsatarget=pla-1262779894009&abcId=9300678&merchantid=6296724&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_c-OBhDFARIsAIFg3exYT_iRVm9fejmGVqhx9U3rGqCwFhHNVbfpe5TGOGgCCz6vwUYKpMAaArJ4EALw_wcB

https://www.fordpartsgiant.com/parts/ford-extension_e3fz-61611c22-b.html

I would need the -A part as my belts are Bendix according to the label. Once the weather warms up some and my tattoo heals I'll duck out to the local pick and pull and pillage some E-Series belts to see if they'll work.

This is good to know. I'm going to check out my local pick and pull for bullnose/E-Series to see if I can pillage their belts.

I know I need the receiver ends as I need the plastic moldings to hold the receivers up so that when you move the seat you don't have to fish the end off the floor. I built a subwoofer enclosure for my center console and there's not much room to fish the belt up.

This is good to know. I'm going to check out my local pick and pull for bullnose/E-Series to see if I can pillage their belts.

I know I need the receiver ends as I need the plastic moldings to hold the receivers up so that when you move the seat you don't have to fish the end off the floor. I built a subwoofer enclosure for my center console and there's not much room to fish the belt up.

Gary - They are in the floor pan and one of the photos at the link below has a good photo of them.

Center console: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Camano-Experience-tp35327p68284.html

Chris - I think you can get new black plastics that hold the seatbelt upright but finding used tan ones that aren't cracked at the base have proven impossible for me. I haven't ever gotten to it yet but my plan, and it might work for you since it sounds like you have a similar console, is to remove the plastic entirely and mount guides on the side of the console to keep the belts where they are handy to reach.

Not sure a name for what I am picturing but think of a square drawer pull mounted at an angle on the sides of the console that allows the belt to move but not the latch part to fall through.

amerock-bp36571fb-2813990.png.c45bb551b5aa92c50f91c190df711fa4.png

Gary - They are in the floor pan and one of the photos at the link below has a good photo of them.

Center console: https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/The-Camano-Experience-tp35327p68284.html

Chris - I think you can get new black plastics that hold the seatbelt upright but finding used tan ones that aren't cracked at the base have proven impossible for me. I haven't ever gotten to it yet but my plan, and it might work for you since it sounds like you have a similar console, is to remove the plastic entirely and mount guides on the side of the console to keep the belts where they are handy to reach.

Not sure a name for what I am picturing but think of a square drawer pull mounted at an angle on the sides of the console that allows the belt to move but not the latch part to fall through.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n110931/amerock-bp36571fb-2813990.png

I based my console design off of yours but I used what I had laying around in terms of amp and sub so it's taller than what you have and just barely squeezes between the arm rests. What I didn't notice on yours was the mounting to the seat belt bolts. I might modify mine to do that. Currently it's held in with 2 self tapping screws through the floor, lol.

I'll be starting a project thread in the next couple days, I have to gather all my pictures since currently it's all documented on Instagram/FaceBook.

I'm not picky on color as I have red carpet, tan seats and overlook hotel carpet pattern for headliner, door panels and console covering.

That's a good idea with the handles, I'll have to see if I can come up with something similar since it's quite a tight fit at the moment, especially with the passenger side.

https://forum.garysgaragemahal.com/file/n110931/amerock-bp36571fb-2813990.png

I based my console design off of yours but I used what I had laying around in terms of amp and sub so it's taller than what you have and just barely squeezes between the arm rests. What I didn't notice on yours was the mounting to the seat belt bolts. I might modify mine to do that. Currently it's held in with 2 self tapping screws through the floor, lol.

I'll be starting a project thread in the next couple days, I have to gather all my pictures since currently it's all documented on Instagram/FaceBook.

I'm not picky on color as I have red carpet, tan seats and overlook hotel carpet pattern for headliner, door panels and console covering.

That's a good idea with the handles, I'll have to see if I can come up with something similar since it's quite a tight fit at the moment, especially with the passenger side.

Looking forward to the project thread and just realized I never replied to your last email though I did start to :nabble_smiley_blush:

I know there was more that I was going to add before I got pulled away all those weeks ago but I went ahead and sent the draft as is.

We can go over it all in more detail as you come to it in your thread :nabble_smiley_good: