Bullnose Forums

1985 F350 single wheel 4x4 Lariat 460 w/GVOD

Rembrant

I like everything about it except for three things. TTB, not a crew cab, and the color.

I would love to have that GVOD though. The T19 in mine is gonna be rough on the highway.

Shaun, I thought all F350’s had a straight axle. And I assume by TTB that it’s not, as in a D50 axle?

I like everything about it except for three things. TTB, not a crew cab, and the color.

I would love to have that GVOD though. The T19 in mine is gonna be rough on the highway.

Shaun, I thought all F350’s had a straight axle. And I assume by TTB that it’s not, as in a D50 axle?

I think 1986 was the first year for a solid axle in a 4WD F-350 (well, after '79 anyway). They had the Dana 50 TTB from '80 - '85.

I think 1986 was the first year for a solid axle in a 4WD F-350 (well, after '79 anyway). They had the Dana 50 TTB from '80 - '85.

Yes, '86 appears to be "it" for the solid axle D60, aka "monobeam". Oddly enough, those axles are included in the Twin I-Beam listing, as shown below.

The red shows that the MPC says that prior to 10/85 the TTB's were used on F350's and after that date the monobeam was used. There's a rumor that some 85's got the monobeam, but I kind of doubt it as by October of '85 all that should have been going down the assembly line were 86's.

Perhaps the confusion is that axles 30.4V and W carry an E5TZ prefix, but all that means is that they were first produced in 1985, as they would have had to have been in order to be installed in October of that year.

Monobeam_Usage.thumb.jpg.293a8098d6a598ccec116c48399e4539.jpg

Yes, '86 appears to be "it" for the solid axle D60, aka "monobeam". Oddly enough, those axles are included in the Twin I-Beam listing, as shown below.

The red shows that the MPC says that prior to 10/85 the TTB's were used on F350's and after that date the monobeam was used. There's a rumor that some 85's got the monobeam, but I kind of doubt it as by October of '85 all that should have been going down the assembly line were 86's.

Perhaps the confusion is that axles 30.4V and W carry an E5TZ prefix, but all that means is that they were first produced in 1985, as they would have had to have been in order to be installed in October of that year.

Interesting! I did not know that. But there’s a cool website that has this info! :nabble_smiley_blush:

Interesting! I did not know that. But there’s a cool website that has this info! :nabble_smiley_blush:

It wasn't meant as a you-should-have-known-that. Just trying to answer the question definitively.

Personally, I wouldn't buy an F250 4x4 nor an F350 4x4 earlier than 1986. Having witnessed the huge difference in the ride when going from the leaf-sprung TTB to the leaf-sprung monobeam I don't want to ever go back.