Bullnose Forums

cheech and chong strike again

mat in tn

one day i was headed for my local used parts location. as i parked the truck i noticed some of the locals burning leaves. its early fall and i love all of it. falling leaves, smoke from early start ups from fireplaces and stoves, chill in the morning and the reminder that deer season is upon us. then it happened! the truck lit!!!

all of those burning leaves were really in my heater being ignited by the resistor. smoke pouring from all vents quickly turning bubba into a scene from "up in smoke". i shut it off and bailed. grabbed my 5/16 nut driver and had the motor out in a minute and one bottle of water later it was over. happily i just happened to be at the right place to find another resistor.

I'm reminded of this year-old story because it happened again today with a customer's 89. my neighbor smokes. a lot. and not always Marlboro. frankly its annoying. so as i was headed out on a test drive from a brake job i kept smelling her stuff. then it happened! pouring through the dash vents. shut it down. bail out. grab 5/16' nut driver. minute later its out. only this time it was a field mouse nest. occupied! this one required gloves. im guessing this old guy let his truck set a bit too long. the last reg. was 07.

anyway. yall enjoy my mishap. and remember, " if you smell smoke but don't see smoke it just might be you" hahahahah

Can't say I've had any fires... but I have had resistors overheat and fail or rust out due to such. This is one reason why cabin air filters became a thing, actually. That and to keep junk from blocking the AC drains and molding up the evaporator. :nabble_smiley_scared:

I smelled smoke and thought someone was burning leaves. Nope, nothing even close to us and the smoke continued. I turned the heater off and headed home. Pulled the resistor and there were charred leaves.

Pulled the motor and cleaned several hands full of leaves out. Now I’m running a pincushion cowl. No more leaves.

I smelled smoke and thought someone was burning leaves. Nope, nothing even close to us and the smoke continued. I turned the heater off and headed home. Pulled the resistor and there were charred leaves.

Pulled the motor and cleaned several hands full of leaves out. Now I’m running a pincushion cowl. No more leaves.

yes leaves. this one was some form of cardboard. and it made it through the pin cushion!

Nice that you had a handy nutdriver handy!

I was thinking the exact same thing! It was almost as if he had it holstered like Wild Bill Hickok!

I have to admit though, I carried around a couple 1/2" wrenches for quite a while after having the starter solenoid stick on a few times. They were laying on the seat beside me and I was ready for action.

I carried a Leatherman on my belt for years, but I haven't been for a while now because my job mainly has me driving a desk these days. Surprising how often I used it.

Nice that you had a handy nutdriver handy!

I was thinking the exact same thing! It was almost as if he had it holstered like Wild Bill Hickok!

I have to admit though, I carried around a couple 1/2" wrenches for quite a while after having the starter solenoid stick on a few times. They were laying on the seat beside me and I was ready for action.

I carried a Leatherman on my belt for years, but I haven't been for a while now because my job mainly has me driving a desk these days. Surprising how often I used it.

it is true, I do have tools handy, especially while working, and at the shop. I used to run an air conditioning business and get in the habit of always having a well-regulated militia at the ready. the 5/16 is one of the most used in air cond. I just happen to know it fits the air Cond on the trucks also.

however, it's not the first time someone has remarked about how curious it is that i knew what to do so quickly. haha

it is true, I do have tools handy, especially while working, and at the shop. I used to run an air conditioning business and get in the habit of always having a well-regulated militia at the ready. the 5/16 is one of the most used in air cond. I just happen to know it fits the air Cond on the trucks also.

however, it's not the first time someone has remarked about how curious it is that i knew what to do so quickly. haha

Thanks for the reminder. I've had the truck for a few months but it's time to do some housekeeping! No telling what's in there.

my neighbor smokes. a lot. and not always Marlboro. [...] so as i was headed out on a test drive from a brake job i kept smelling her stuff. then it happened! [...] " if you smell smoke but don't see smoke it just might be you" hahahahah

http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/laughing-25-x-25_orig.gifhttp://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/head-rotfl-57x22_orig.gif

Cheech_Chong_up_in_smoke.jpg.51640e49b35115c545447aa255f3d5d4.jpg

Smoky_Bullnose.jpg.f39608b0f80972d37690f661bec51ae9.jpg