Bullnose Forums

How Comfortable Are The Low-Back Bucket Seats?

Gary Lewis

Big Blue' seat doesn't seem to have the bolster on the sides. But it is fairly comfortable.

Oddly enough, John/Machspeed went to see a guy about having his new bed bolts chrome plated and the guy has an '86 and might join. In addition, he has a blue seat from it that he says is in "excellent condition" that he wants to unload. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Which then begs the question of what seats he put in it?

The bolstering is what makes the difference if you're looking to stay planted in the seat. A flat bucket seat is no better than a bench seat. You're still gonna slide around because there's nothing to stop you from sliding. The original low back buckets in the Broncos do not look to have the best bolstering, so I can imagine you will slide pretty easily. That's one of the reasons I went with a cloth seat in my F350, because the cloth will help keep you planted.

Any experienced upholstery shop should be able to add the bolstering pretty easily.

The bolstering is what makes the difference if you're looking to stay planted in the seat. A flat bucket seat is no better than a bench seat. You're still gonna slide around because there's nothing to stop you from sliding. The original low back buckets in the Broncos do not look to have the best bolstering, so I can imagine you will slide pretty easily. That's one of the reasons I went with a cloth seat in my F350, because the cloth will help keep you planted.

Any experienced upholstery shop should be able to add the bolstering pretty easily.

I agree, Shaun. Which is why I'm going to call the outfit that did Dad's captain's chairs and see what it would cost to have them build a pair of buckets with plenty of bolstering. And maybe use some really good foam. I think that would be far better then having me do the recovering, not knowing what I'm doing.

And I agree that cloth is better. The factory used velour, and that might be a good choice.

I agree, Shaun. Which is why I'm going to call the outfit that did Dad's captain's chairs and see what it would cost to have them build a pair of buckets with plenty of bolstering. And maybe use some really good foam. I think that would be far better then having me do the recovering, not knowing what I'm doing.

And I agree that cloth is better. The factory used velour, and that might be a good choice.

Sounds like a plan! :nabble_smiley_good:

Let us know how that goes Gary. Is that shop local to you?

Let us know how that goes Gary. Is that shop local to you?

Yes, the shop is local-ish. It is in Tulsa so might be 25 miles away. But as it is now Christmas eve and lots of places are closed through the end of the year it'll be at least next week, if not next year, before I can talk to them. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Yes, the shop is local-ish. It is in Tulsa so might be 25 miles away. But as it is now Christmas eve and lots of places are closed through the end of the year it'll be at least next week, if not next year, before I can talk to them. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Gary, I'll keep you advised on the gentleman's seat I spoke to you about. It is a bench seat just like mine. I have no comfort issues with my seat but of course what works for me does not work for others. I'll tell you this, I sat in Scott's truck at our truck show this past Summer and the seats in his truck were some of the most comfortable I've ever sat in. As I recall, they were OEM high back buckets but knowing Scott, they were likely MODIFIED internally.....:nabble_smiley_grin:

Gary, I'll keep you advised on the gentleman's seat I spoke to you about. It is a bench seat just like mine. I have no comfort issues with my seat but of course what works for me does not work for others. I'll tell you this, I sat in Scott's truck at our truck show this past Summer and the seats in his truck were some of the most comfortable I've ever sat in. As I recall, they were OEM high back buckets but knowing Scott, they were likely MODIFIED internally.....:nabble_smiley_grin:

Just got this in from Scott:

Merry Christmas sir! Haha the original factory captain's chairs :) They are ridiculously comfortable. The guy I bought if from said he'd rather take it on a road trip than his new Dodge and I believe him.

So I guess I’d better try the ones I have for Dad’s truck in BB. With the later base I have they’ll bolt in.

Just got this in from Scott:

Merry Christmas sir! Haha the original factory captain's chairs :) They are ridiculously comfortable. The guy I bought if from said he'd rather take it on a road trip than his new Dodge and I believe him.

So I guess I’d better try the ones I have for Dad’s truck in BB. With the later base I have they’ll bolt in.

Well there you go!

• 2 weeks later...

Well there you go!

Ok, let's use this thread to continue the discussion on seats. I've found a pair of 2011 Navigator bucket seats for $295. They are in black leather and are said to have been taken out of the Navigator when new so are in perfect shape.

I'd like your thoughts of what these seats would look like in Big Blue. http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/waving_orig.gif

It cost $1000 to have the captain's chairs rebuilt and recovered for Dad's truck, and that was several years ago. So these seats would be a lot less expensive than having to rework used seats. However, I don't know how easy it would be to mount them. I have the base from the mid-90's Ford truck that bolts into our trucks, but it remains to be seen whether these will be easily adapted to that base.

Does anyone know anything about 2011 Navigator seats?

Here are the pics I got of them, and yes they are folded. The guy said they can't be unfolded until installed, so I've found some pics online of the same seats. However, most of those pics show seats with arm rests and these don't have them.

2011_Navigator_Buckets_-_3.jpeg.c7fcd8431a3b9291473d59c40615993f.jpeg

2011_Navigator_Buckets_-_2.jpeg.a6b309a606ec38650952b11652845451.jpeg

2011_Navigator_Buckets_-_1.jpeg.8433bae864ecbe7805bbdfc72b051bef.jpeg

And here's a pic from the internet. Again, these buckets have arm rests and those for sale do not.

2011_Navigator_Buckets_-_Internet.thumb.jpeg.b22167f00598c519b35de5a42739b4c2.jpeg

Ok, let's use this thread to continue the discussion on seats. I've found a pair of 2011 Navigator bucket seats for $295. They are in black leather and are said to have been taken out of the Navigator when new so are in perfect shape.

I'd like your thoughts of what these seats would look like in Big Blue. :nabble_waving_orig:

It cost $1000 to have the captain's chairs rebuilt and recovered for Dad's truck, and that was several years ago. So these seats would be a lot less expensive than having to rework used seats. However, I don't know how easy it would be to mount them. I have the base from the mid-90's Ford truck that bolts into our trucks, but it remains to be seen whether these will be easily adapted to that base.

Does anyone know anything about 2011 Navigator seats?

Here are the pics I got of them, and yes they are folded. The guy said they can't be unfolded until installed, so I've found some pics online of the same seats. However, most of those pics show seats with arm rests and these don't have them.

And here's a pic from the internet. Again, these buckets have arm rests and those for sale do not.

I believe they will look good and I have confidence in the fact that you will be able to find a way to install them in such a manner that FORD would approve.