Bullnose Forums

Installation Of A Pormido 998 Mirror/Camera System

Gary Lewis

Yes, it was a good day. I feel good about it and I know Steve does.

As for the fuses, I don't dare pull any harder. They surely are connecting to the test point, and they'd have to be in there tightly so the test point would make a good connection, but they are in so tightly that I'm not sure they are intended to come out.

I've complained to Pormido about the instructions, which don't provide any guidance whatsoever on those fuses, and they've just come back saying:

About the hardwire instruction, we don't know how to make better one because the fuse box in various model are different, it would be appreciated if you have any suggestion to improve it, just leave it if it's too bothering:)

I fully agree the fuse boxes in various vehicles are surely quite different, and these would work as taps. But my complaint is they they don't tell whether or not the fuses come out to be replaced. And, they are the small fuses that not all vehicles use. So I'll provide some feedback, but after I tap into their wiring to shorten things so I don't have oodles of wire in that radio cavity.

As for power from the fuse box, I tapped into the power that was intended for the digital clock. I'm using that for various things in the Mission Control switches, so I just ran a wire to the right, up the right A-pillar, across the windshield header under the Highliner, and then into that radio cavity. There was already always-on power there, so I'm set.

At least they are straightforward about why they did what they did.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At least they are straightforward about why they did what they did.

Pormido has been great to work with. I have way over 100 messages to/from Melissa, and she is quite helpful. If she doesn't know she'll tell me and then go talk to an engineer. For instance, she recently said they've not tested to see how long the cable can be to the front camera since they expected it to be installed inside the vehicle. I think my 30' of cable was well over the limit.

Pormido has been great to work with. I have way over 100 messages to/from Melissa, and she is quite helpful. If she doesn't know she'll tell me and then go talk to an engineer. For instance, she recently said they've not tested to see how long the cable can be to the front camera since they expected it to be installed inside the vehicle. I think my 30' of cable was well over the limit.

Got a bit done today. First, I drilled a hole in the right back corner of the cab and installed a gland nut in the hole with the rear camera cable running through it. Then I got the front & rear camera cables as well as the switched-power wire routed under the edge of the Highliner, down the A & B-pillars, and across the top of the windshield to the mirror. And then I got the trim and dash pad back on. :nabble_anim_jump:

You can see how it worked out in the pic below, but I think it turned out nicely. The right-angle connectors from Pormido prevent going straight up with the wires, so that's about the best I could do. And the square thing above the mirror on the windshield is the GPS antenna.

Mirror_Mounted__Connected.thumb.jpg.6381fede6b1856f7285e039d4b60fbbf.jpg

Got a bit done today. First, I drilled a hole in the right back corner of the cab and installed a gland nut in the hole with the rear camera cable running through it. Then I got the front & rear camera cables as well as the switched-power wire routed under the edge of the Highliner, down the A & B-pillars, and across the top of the windshield to the mirror. And then I got the trim and dash pad back on. :nabble_anim_jump:

You can see how it worked out in the pic below, but I think it turned out nicely. The right-angle connectors from Pormido prevent going straight up with the wires, so that's about the best I could do. And the square thing above the mirror on the windshield is the GPS antenna.

Looks good! I like that the Pormido is more rectangular than others, it's definitely more "in the style" of the bullnose era. Is that stalk just top right in your photo the microphone?

Looks good! I like that the Pormido is more rectangular than others, it's definitely more "in the style" of the bullnose era. Is that stalk just top right in your photo the microphone?

Thanks. Yes, I like the rectangular style.

And yes, that's the mike for the hands-free part of the Sony radio. Works well.

Thanks. Yes, I like the rectangular style.

And yes, that's the mike for the hands-free part of the Sony radio. Works well.

caught me snooping. guilty! i noticed the parts on the shelf in the background like throttle bodies and air cleaners. your secrets safe with me

caught me snooping. guilty! i noticed the parts on the shelf in the background like throttle bodies and air cleaners. your secrets safe with me

LOL! Yes, there is a BBK throttle body for Big Blue awa the upper plenum, powder coated of course. And the fuel distribution manifold is there, and powder coated as well. Plus twin-snorkel air cleaners. :nabble_smiley_wink:

LOL! Yes, there is a BBK throttle body for Big Blue awa the upper plenum, powder coated of course. And the fuel distribution manifold is there, and powder coated as well. Plus twin-snorkel air cleaners. :nabble_smiley_wink:

i love this stuff! each has their spin. each has their favorite color, format or whatever. I myself am blessed with a wife who likes me better because I'm happy with a purpose rather than miserable with a "job". So, I like old trucks. what about it?

i love this stuff! each has their spin. each has their favorite color, format or whatever. I myself am blessed with a wife who likes me better because I'm happy with a purpose rather than miserable with a "job". So, I like old trucks. what about it?

I'm blessed with a wife that enables me to do this stuff. In fact, as I type she's looking for a hotel room on our next jaunt in Big Blue - the Ouachita Trail. And I hope to have the mirror and cameras fully operational then.

I'm blessed with a wife that enables me to do this stuff. In fact, as I type she's looking for a hotel room on our next jaunt in Big Blue - the Ouachita Trail. And I hope to have the mirror and cameras fully operational then.

i must admit after watching the recent four wheeling videos, I'm struggling with the desire to pull my custom built bronco2 off the sales floor since it has not sold and get back out there.