Bullnose Forums

Installation Of A Pormido 998 Mirror/Camera System

Gary Lewis

Hmm that is a wrinkle.

Back on the encapsulation idea, what's the exact size of this front camera? Is it time to re-explore various options for protecting it while making it unobtrusive?

I'll get the exact size after while as I need it to pick a box. I'd like to get that on order before the grandtwins get here today 'cause after that I want to enjoy them.

And yes, it is time to explore making it less obtrusive than a wart. But Melissa told me today that they will come out with a waterproof front camera for my unit, the PR998, but cannot give me a time. So I think I'm ok with "less obtrusive" than "hidden".

Perhaps on the bumper between the fog lights would be the best place. Or just above the fairlead with the box attached with double-sticky tape?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll get the exact size after while as I need it to pick a box. I'd like to get that on order before the grandtwins get here today 'cause after that I want to enjoy them.

And yes, it is time to explore making it less obtrusive than a wart. But Melissa told me today that they will come out with a waterproof front camera for my unit, the PR998, but cannot give me a time. So I think I'm ok with "less obtrusive" than "hidden".

Perhaps on the bumper between the fog lights would be the best place. Or just above the fairlead with the box attached with double-sticky tape?

Looking back, I said in this post:

As for the front camera, it looks to me like I need a box with at least these inside dimensions: 3" wide; 2" top/bottom; 1 1/2" front/rear. That would give me enough extra room to install a waterproof grommet and wrap the wire around the end of the camera and plug it in. And I'll have to slip the cable through that grommet before splicing the wire to the end with the connector.

But I want to think that over just a bit more. The issue is that the portion of the body that has the lens rotates 360 degrees with reference to the "foot" that has the red double-stick tape on it. But I'm now thinking that attaching the camera to the back wall of the box when in the cover-forward position would allow pulling the cover and tweaking the camera's angle to get it "just right".

Anyway, more measurements in a bit.

Front_Camera_Dimensions_-_Inc_Inches.jpg.cea4cba8d7bac95e154ee182281f2359.jpg

Looking back, I said in this post:

As for the front camera, it looks to me like I need a box with at least these inside dimensions: 3" wide; 2" top/bottom; 1 1/2" front/rear. That would give me enough extra room to install a waterproof grommet and wrap the wire around the end of the camera and plug it in. And I'll have to slip the cable through that grommet before splicing the wire to the end with the connector.

But I want to think that over just a bit more. The issue is that the portion of the body that has the lens rotates 360 degrees with reference to the "foot" that has the red double-stick tape on it. But I'm now thinking that attaching the camera to the back wall of the box when in the cover-forward position would allow pulling the cover and tweaking the camera's angle to get it "just right".

Anyway, more measurements in a bit.

Ok, here are actual measurements. And the "with plug" length is critical.

But we need to think a bit about where to attach the camera. Here are three options with thoughts & dimensions:

• Cover: If it is stuck to the cover then the inside depth of the box can be as little as 34.62 mm/1.363". And while adhering it to the cover would make getting to the camera easy, it wouldn't make accurately adjusting the camera for up/down alignment easy. Nor would it make replacing the cover easy.

• Back: Attaching the camera to the back wall (actually the bottom of the box) would require the box to be at least 37.46 mm/1.475" deep. But that would put the lens against the cover and preclude turning the lens up or down. So the box needs to be a bit deeper than that as I'm sure it'll need to be rotated down.

• Top or Bottom: Attaching the camera to the top or bottom of the box, and the bottom is probably best, would require the box to have 32mm/1.26" of depth. That measurement would allow the camera to be rotated down to at least 25 degrees, which should be enough.

I like the idea of attaching the camera to the bottom of the box. And that would mean the inside dimensions of the box need to be at least 72mm/2.83" long, 28mm/1.10" wide, and 32mm/1.26" deep.

Front_Camera_Actual_Dimensions.jpg.b2b424cfe3ad1ff93433424673786b61.jpg

Ok, here are actual measurements. And the "with plug" length is critical.

But we need to think a bit about where to attach the camera. Here are three options with thoughts & dimensions:

• Cover: If it is stuck to the cover then the inside depth of the box can be as little as 34.62 mm/1.363". And while adhering it to the cover would make getting to the camera easy, it wouldn't make accurately adjusting the camera for up/down alignment easy. Nor would it make replacing the cover easy.

• Back: Attaching the camera to the back wall (actually the bottom of the box) would require the box to be at least 37.46 mm/1.475" deep. But that would put the lens against the cover and preclude turning the lens up or down. So the box needs to be a bit deeper than that as I'm sure it'll need to be rotated down.

• Top or Bottom: Attaching the camera to the top or bottom of the box, and the bottom is probably best, would require the box to have 32mm/1.26" of depth. That measurement would allow the camera to be rotated down to at least 25 degrees, which should be enough.

I like the idea of attaching the camera to the bottom of the box. And that would mean the inside dimensions of the box need to be at least 72mm/2.83" long, 28mm/1.10" wide, and 32mm/1.26" deep.

To bring this thread/project up to date before I go quiet over Christmas and the next few days, I got one of the two rear cameras I ordered in today and tested the mirror - all is well.

That is a huge relief as the mirror doesn't really work quite right if the rear camera is missing. On boot-up it complains about the camera not being there, and when you go into settings some things don't work quite right after you change the setting. Reboot the mirror and it'll work - until you change something else. But with the rear camera it all works correctly.

Also, I've been searching for just "the right" case to put the camera in. And I'm here to tell you there isn't one. :nabble_anim_working:

I found two that were close:

In the end I ordered the Awclub plastic one and it'll be here Tuesday. So maybe later in the week I can check it out as the twins have to go home on Wednesday. :nabble_smiley_cry:

Thanks and Merry Christmas, Jeff!

Got the box in today, and I'm not too pleased with the optical properties of the cover. And I'm not surprised as the reviews pointed out exactly what I found - distortion.

So I'm thinking I can cut out a window of the plastic and then glue in a piece of something that is optically clear. Maybe Lexan or even shatterproof glass. Anyone have an idea of what to use?

Clear_Cover_Distorts.thumb.jpg.9b35931e792002dc681fb8b5e25890f1.jpg

And I stuck the box on the front of the truck to see what it would look like. A wart, really. The box is too large, but it is the smallest I could find that would work.

Anyway, which do y'all dislike the least?

Camera_Box_On_Front_Of_Bumper.thumb.jpg.ab794e96f9e6079c1e130cb713037171.jpgCamera_Box_On_Top_Of_Bumper.thumb.jpg.71a7cd5c009b8fdb0cd197570c0636f3.jpg

Got the box in today, and I'm not too pleased with the optical properties of the cover. And I'm not surprised as the reviews pointed out exactly what I found - distortion.

So I'm thinking I can cut out a window of the plastic and then glue in a piece of something that is optically clear. Maybe Lexan or even shatterproof glass. Anyone have an idea of what to use?

And I stuck the box on the front of the truck to see what it would look like. A wart, really. The box is too large, but it is the smallest I could find that would work.

Anyway, which do y'all dislike the least?

Mounted right above the fairlead looks better to me than between the lights.