Bullnose Forums

Installation Of A Pormido 998 Mirror/Camera System

Gary Lewis

Good plan. I am simply wondering about the fragility of the plastic box, if exposed in front or on top of the bumper (small rocks, mud, or when manipulating the winch or the hitch).

Yes, the plastic box is surely fragile. But I'm actually more worried about how easily scratched the plastic cover is going to be. It will get hit with bugs of all kinds and they'll have to come off - hopefully w/o scratching the cover.

However, as I think about it, if the box is only ~$7 then I could easily replace the cover as long as the camera is adhered to the box itself. Just pull the cover to clean or polish it, and replace it should the need arise.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, the plastic box is surely fragile. But I'm actually more worried about how easily scratched the plastic cover is going to be. It will get hit with bugs of all kinds and they'll have to come off - hopefully w/o scratching the cover.

However, as I think about it, if the box is only ~$7 then I could easily replace the cover as long as the camera is adhered to the box itself. Just pull the cover to clean or polish it, and replace it should the need arise.

Got the mirror's mounting plate made today, but didn't get it powder coated. However, there will be other parts to powder coat on this endeavor so that can wait.

However, shiny aluminum is hard to photograph, so you'll have a hard time seeing it in the pic below. Basically it is a rectangle with notches out of the corners to go inside the "ears". And that also prevents the thing from shifting right or left.

The plate is drilled and countersunk for a 5 x .80 mm screw, and the mount from the old Bullnose mirror has been drilled and tapped for the screw.

Mirror__Mounting_Plate.thumb.jpg.51ccc3b33592b0c9432e3815ceef9226.jpg

And here's a top view of the mirror strapped to the old mirror on the left, and to the new mounting plate on the right. Which one floats your boat? http://www.garysgaragemahal.com/uploads/6/5/8/7/65879365/thinking-26_orig.jpg

Pormido_Mirror_Strapped_On_-_Top_View.thumb.jpg.37a6cb2e85c858f255a6a96a18126728.jpgMirror__Mounting_Plate_-_Top_View.thumb.jpg.3d83977f1e339e1c9bfecd0f506169b4.jpg

Got the mirror's mounting plate made today, but didn't get it powder coated. However, there will be other parts to powder coat on this endeavor so that can wait.

However, shiny aluminum is hard to photograph, so you'll have a hard time seeing it in the pic below. Basically it is a rectangle with notches out of the corners to go inside the "ears". And that also prevents the thing from shifting right or left.

The plate is drilled and countersunk for a 5 x .80 mm screw, and the mount from the old Bullnose mirror has been drilled and tapped for the screw.

And here's a top view of the mirror strapped to the old mirror on the left, and to the new mounting plate on the right. Which one floats your boat? :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Definitely the custom option. :nabble_smiley_good:

It is the compatibility that I'm afraid of on the Ford oval with camera. My 2015 has that, but in later years they've made it well integrated. But I'm sure it is expensive!

Looked today and there's a ton of room behind the oval. :nabble_smiley_evil:

It is the compatibility that I'm afraid of on the Ford oval with camera. My 2015 has that, but in later years they've made it well integrated. But I'm sure it is expensive!

Looked today and there's a ton of room behind the oval. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Gary the camera I posted above said it will not replace the factory one. Made for camera with a yellow RCA input.