Bullnose Forums

Power steering pump

jdavidsmi

Ok I know there has been much discussion about the power steering pumps on our trucks, and for the last couple of days I have read most of them.

When I got the 84 8 years ago, I replaced the pump with a remanufactured one from Car Quest. Never had an issue, with noise until last month, when it started. So it having done a good job for 8 years I thought to replace it with the same.

Got myself a pulley removed tool, and a new remanufactured pump. I flushed all the old fluid out, mounted the pump filled it up with new fluid, hand turned the pulley to pump the fluid through. Installed the belt and fired it up. Got the most god awful noise. So I did it all again yesterday. And this one also squeal’s.

Am I doing something wrong or just having bad luck with the pumps.

yes, these are a tight fit!

are you having any trouble steering or were you just replacing a noisy pump? it almost sounds as if the pump may have an excessive load on it although from what I'm not sure. i do know of some using a small filter in the return line. aftermarket item that can be found at lmc. any type of clog will result in weird problems even though power steering clogs are rare.

are you having any trouble steering or were you just replacing a noisy pump? it almost sounds as if the pump may have an excessive load on it although from what I'm not sure. i do know of some using a small filter in the return line. aftermarket item that can be found at lmc. any type of clog will result in weird problems even though power steering clogs are rare.

I was just replacing a noisy pump. There does not seam to be any problem steering. All the steering components have been replaced within the last two years, except the steering box and the pump, until now. And it was aligned in Aug. The steering has always been positive with little play, tracks true, with very little drift.

Since I kept the old one and it’s less noisy than this one, thinking about putting it back on. And just get a new one instead of a remanufactured.

I was just replacing a noisy pump. There does not seam to be any problem steering. All the steering components have been replaced within the last two years, except the steering box and the pump, until now. And it was aligned in Aug. The steering has always been positive with little play, tracks true, with very little drift.

Since I kept the old one and it’s less noisy than this one, thinking about putting it back on. And just get a new one instead of a remanufactured.

Possibly the best option as reman seems to be getting more questionable