Bullnose Forums

Nothing Special home ('wheeling) movies

.... And that might about be it for this thread. I think I have separate trip reports for the trips I've taken since this one, so I think I'll go back to those threads to add video rather than posting the video here....

I guess I spoke too soon. I thought I had a thread on my trip to SMORR in 2020, but turns out I just had included in in my Bronco thread. You can look that up here if you want, and I will edit the videos in there. But I'll post them here as well.

To refresh memories, on this trip I was invited to go to the Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch to meet up with a group of guys I know from another board. This board is dedicated to old flat-fender Jeeps from the '40s, so out of the 12 vehicles in the group, only 2 were newer than my 49 year old Bronco!

I drove the Bronco 600 miles down to Missouri (with just my dog, Kenzie), 'wheeled 2 days and then drove home. Definitely a memorable trip!

Here's some video of my Bronco on the trails.

And if you've been thinking that I can drive my Bronco just about anywhere, these next two videos are places I wouldn't even try! Here's some video from a ride we were given in one of the Jeeps:

And here's three of the Jeeps on a hil climb (the third Jeep in this video is the one we rode in above):

Thanks for reading and watching!

.... And that might about be it for this thread. I think I have separate trip reports for the trips I've taken since this one, so I think I'll go back to those threads to add video rather than posting the video here....

I guess I spoke too soon. I thought I had a thread on my trip to SMORR in 2020, but turns out I just had included in in my Bronco thread. You can look that up here if you want, and I will edit the videos in there. But I'll post them here as well.

To refresh memories, on this trip I was invited to go to the Southern Missouri Off Road Ranch to meet up with a group of guys I know from another board. This board is dedicated to old flat-fender Jeeps from the '40s, so out of the 12 vehicles in the group, only 2 were newer than my 49 year old Bronco!

I drove the Bronco 600 miles down to Missouri (with just my dog, Kenzie), 'wheeled 2 days and then drove home. Definitely a memorable trip!

Here's some video of my Bronco on the trails.

And if you've been thinking that I can drive my Bronco just about anywhere, these next two videos are places I wouldn't even try! Here's some video from a ride we were given in one of the Jeeps:

And here's three of the Jeeps on a hil climb (the third Jeep in this video is the one we rode in above):

Thanks for reading and watching!

On the first video, things got a bit tippy a couple of times! I hadn't expected that in MO, but as I think about it we have plenty of really steep stuff in OK at Disney. So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

At 10:40 where you said "I think we'll call it at that", did you winch out? That seemed like a pretty tough climb and you were starting to go sideways.

Part 2 is insane! I can't believe they can make it up those places. I'm not sure the RZR's we took to Disney would have done that. How's that for going for it?!?! Ouch! He hit hard. I'm glad he has that arrow showing which side is supposed to be up 'cause I don't think he knows! :nabble_smiley_oh:

Part 3, why did he say to unlock the rear? To be able to turn tighter? I laughed at "How's it look? Not good." Man, that was scary. But it is hard to believe what they can do with them.

I thought I might want to go to that park, but I sure don't want any part of those trails. :nabble_smiley_oh:

On the first video, things got a bit tippy a couple of times! I hadn't expected that in MO, but as I think about it we have plenty of really steep stuff in OK at Disney. So I guess I shouldn't have been surprised.

At 10:40 where you said "I think we'll call it at that", did you winch out? That seemed like a pretty tough climb and you were starting to go sideways.

Blueberry, the blue Jeep that goes up the hill first in part 3, had just gone up ahead of me. We hooked a strap between the vehicles and I made it up easily with a bit of a tug.

The Jeep that was behind me (not shown in any of these videos) was about the same capabilities as my Bronco. He made it up this on his own, but it took a pretty good "bump". I'm pretty sure I could've done the same but I didn't want to risk the sheetmetal damage that rock wall on the left could cause, or breaking something that might mean I couldn't drive it home 600 miles that afternoon. So taking the strap was an easy, safe call.

Part 2 is insane! I can't believe they can make it up those places. I'm not sure the RZR's we took to Disney would have done that. How's that for going for it?!?! Ouch! He hit hard. I'm glad he has that arrow showing which side is supposed to be up 'cause I don't think he knows! :nabble_smiley_oh:

Jeff, the driver of the Jeep in part 2, has one hobby: building and 'wheeling Bam Bam. He's been doing it for quite a while, he's really good at it (both the 'wheeling and the building), and he doesn't mind rebuilding things if it turns out he took a little too much risk. I'm envious of his skills, and I would never "throw shade" on his technique. But given who I am and what I want to do, I don't think I'm going to try to copy him.

I've been following Jeff on YouTube for quite a while, and have been in a number of conversations with him on a bulletin board (he was one of the guys who helped me plan my first trip to Moab). It was great to meet him and to ride in Bam Bam (but I think I enjoyed the ride a lot more than Kenzie did!).

Part 3, why did he say to unlock the rear? To be able to turn tighter? I laughed at "How's it look? Not good." Man, that was scary. But it is hard to believe what they can do with them.

I'm not sure where someone said to unlock the rear, but I'm guessing it was Brian (the driver of Blueberry, the first Jeep in this video) talking to Dale who was driving Olive Oyl, the second Jeep. Both Blueberry and Olive Oyl have selectable lockers in both axles (Bam Bam was running an automatic locker in the rear, selectable in the front). And yes, a locked rear selectable will significantly hurt turning ability.

And Brian, who was spotting for both Dale and Jeff, is simply a phenomenal spotter. You can see that a number of times here as he suggests something and a previously stuck vehicle goes up easily. Jeff has said a number of times that Brian is better at driving Bam Bam than he (Jeff) is, and Brian's never even been in Bam Bam! I know Brian helped me a number of times on this trip.

But yes, I also laughed when I heard Brian ask Jeff how it felt, Jeff asked how it looked and Brian said "not good!"

I thought I might want to go to that park, but I sure don't want any part of those trails. :nabble_smiley_oh:

I said this when I posted about this trip in my Bronco thread, but this park has trails with ratings from 1 to 6. We were mostly on 3 and 4 rated trails, but the "big dogs" would occasionally take on a 5. Pretty much all of the video is from the stuff that looked the best, so the 4s (if it included my Bronco) and 5s (parts 2 and 3 here were all 5s). If you were to go there and focus on the 1s, 2s and 3s I'm sure you could find stuff you could handle. And the 4s and 5s will be there when you're ready!

.... Part 4 starts with what looks really hard, both steep and rocky, and gets harder!.... At 8:30ish "You did it again." But what? Anyway, over it you went on the next try. Well done! :nabble_smiley_good:....

I found it. That clip starts at 10:00 in the 2015 Iron Range 2015 video. I'm not sure why Lesley said "you did it again" right then, because I don't know when I had done it before. I mean, I know I've done it a lot before, but I don't know which time was significant.

Anyway, what "it" was was hit a rock with the front diff. You can see the back end of the Bronco swing around right as it came to a stop. I'm learning (through "spotting" on YouTube videos) that when forward motion suddenly stops and one end swings around it's often that they hit the diff at the opposite end.

To keep the searching to a minimum,

. Just after 10:00 you can see what happens. And as you look at it, try to see what point the Bronco is pivoting on. It looks like it's the front diff.

Another example of it is just after 13:30 in

. It's even more obvious here (if you know what to look for). As the Bronco stops the front end moves to the left, the right rear tire moves forward and the left rear moves backward. The Bronco is pivoting around the rear diff which had just hit a rock.

When this last one happened, and the first time I watched the video, I was amazed at how quickly Brian knew what had happened and what I needed to do to fix it. You hear him immediately say "rear diff, ... scoot this way about a foot and a half." I said above that Brian is a fabulous spotter. But watching this more I can see why it was obvious to him. That's the kind of thing I'm trying to learn as I watch my own, but especially others videos.

.... Part 4 starts with what looks really hard, both steep and rocky, and gets harder!.... At 8:30ish "You did it again." But what? Anyway, over it you went on the next try. Well done! :nabble_smiley_good:....

I found it. That clip starts at 10:00 in the 2015 Iron Range 2015 video. I'm not sure why Lesley said "you did it again" right then, because I don't know when I had done it before. I mean, I know I've done it a lot before, but I don't know which time was significant.

Anyway, what "it" was was hit a rock with the front diff. You can see the back end of the Bronco swing around right as it came to a stop. I'm learning (through "spotting" on YouTube videos) that when forward motion suddenly stops and one end swings around it's often that they hit the diff at the opposite end.

To keep the searching to a minimum,

. Just after 10:00 you can see what happens. And as you look at it, try to see what point the Bronco is pivoting on. It looks like it's the front diff.

Another example of it is just after 13:30 in

. It's even more obvious here (if you know what to look for). As the Bronco stops the front end moves to the left, the right rear tire moves forward and the left rear moves backward. The Bronco is pivoting around the rear diff which had just hit a rock.

When this last one happened, and the first time I watched the video, I was amazed at how quickly Brian knew what had happened and what I needed to do to fix it. You hear him immediately say "rear diff, ... scoot this way about a foot and a half." I said above that Brian is a fabulous spotter. But watching this more I can see why it was obvious to him. That's the kind of thing I'm trying to learn as I watch my own, but especially others videos.

I thought I'd provide some closure to this thread. I don't intend to post to it anymore, as I add videos they'll probably be from trips that I'll have trip reports on, so I'll post the videos there. But for anyone coming upon this thread in the future, here's a link to my YouTube channel if you want to see if there are any more videos.

I thought I'd provide some closure to this thread. I don't intend to post to it anymore, as I add videos they'll probably be from trips that I'll have trip reports on, so I'll post the videos there. But for anyone coming upon this thread in the future, here's a link to my YouTube channel if you want to see if there are any more videos.

Good thread. I appreciate it as it has helped me learn. Maybe it isn't "Bullnose", but it sure has helped me use my Bullnose.