Bullnose Forums

C6 2wd conversion

Ok I read somewhere that it’s just a matter of changing the tailshaft. But I figured it couldn’t be that simple

I tried searching for you in the map feature but when I get to "Bullnosef" in the search field it stops and says No Results. But I can find myself in there, no problem. I blame Goolag.

Anyway, if you live anywhere near Central Texas, I just sold a 2wd C6 to a guy who planned to install it in a 4wd truck. He and I both believed that it's a relatively simple tail housing swap.

If he's encountered difficulties, perhaps you could swap trannies with him.

I tried searching for you in the map feature but when I get to "Bullnosef" in the search field it stops and says No Results. But I can find myself in there, no problem. I blame Goolag.

Anyway, if you live anywhere near Central Texas, I just sold a 2wd C6 to a guy who planned to install it in a 4wd truck. He and I both believed that it's a relatively simple tail housing swap.

If he's encountered difficulties, perhaps you could swap trannies with him.

My understanding is that it is "just" replacing the tail shaft and tailshaft housing. The problem is that you take the tailshaft out from inside the trans, so it's a complete teardown / rebuild, where all you are doing is replacing the tailshaft and housing.

The other way that most people seem to think is the best way to convert a 4WD trans to 2WD (or vice versa) is to sell the one you have and buy the one you need. I've never done it either way so I can't tell you what I think is best :nabble_smiley_beam:

My understanding is that it is "just" replacing the tail shaft and tailshaft housing. The problem is that you take the tailshaft out from inside the trans, so it's a complete teardown / rebuild, where all you are doing is replacing the tailshaft and housing.

The other way that most people seem to think is the best way to convert a 4WD trans to 2WD (or vice versa) is to sell the one you have and buy the one you need. I've never done it either way so I can't tell you what I think is best :nabble_smiley_beam:

think of loading a moving truck. first in, last out! and so on.

I have an opportunity to get a c-6 transmission for a good price. It’s a 4wd trans but is it possible to change the tail shaft to 2wd from my old trans until I have the stuff to do the 4wd swap?

Where are you at? I just pulled a working 2wd C6 from my truck to do a 4x4 conversion. It's yours for the asking. I'm in the DFW TX area.