Bullnose Forums

Bed Bolts

Machspeed

On my 2002 and 2003 Rangers, the bed is held on using T55 torx bolts. The frame uses j-nuts to hold the bolts, so no need for two people.

SNIP

I've had a few J bolts break in my life, and it's misery when they do. I'm referring to the clip part, which is of spring steel. If a chinesium J bolt clip breaks, you have a nut stuck to threads down there that's spinning with no way to stop it spinning. Break out the torch or chisel.

That said, what if you broke out your welder and simply welded a good nut to the frame rail in the right spot? Then you'd wind up with a setup akin to Super Duty beds, which are generally much easier to pull.

The later Torx-headed bolts and sheet metal nuts might be a pretty good solution for you, John.

Yes, I was thinking that Gary. I need to find some dimensions on the later model Ford bolts and J-Nuts, as I don't want to buy the Chinese stuff found on ebay and such.

BTW, found this intriguing: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1595759-diy-demonstration-for-torx-head-bed-bolt-modification.html

Thanks for the input, gentlemen!

The later Torx-headed bolts and sheet metal nuts might be a pretty good solution for you, John.

Thinking about going with the Ford Style OEM bolts Salans posted up that are on his Ranger. This style is also applicable for other Ford trucks as well and in varying lengths. See picture below. However, I cannot seem to find the length of these. The stock bolts on my truck vary in length, the longest measuring from the bottom of the head to the end of the threads being 4.125". The shortest is 3.00". Would anyone know where to go to review dimensions on this Ford hardware?

Bed_Bolt.jpg.7e5b40d06d086ced2b26b4e0288fcec1.jpg

Thinking about going with the Ford Style OEM bolts Salans posted up that are on his Ranger. This style is also applicable for other Ford trucks as well and in varying lengths. See picture below. However, I cannot seem to find the length of these. The stock bolts on my truck vary in length, the longest measuring from the bottom of the head to the end of the threads being 4.125". The shortest is 3.00". Would anyone know where to go to review dimensions on this Ford hardware?

I just found this on my Ranger forum:

"2 Closest to the cab: 12mm x 1.75 x 120 mm

Other 4: 12mm x 1.75 x 100mm"

That Tasca Ford link you posted above.... wondering if those are the 120mm or the 100mm???

Thanks so much for looking too!

That Tasca Ford link you posted above.... wondering if those are the 120mm or the 100mm???

Thanks so much for looking too!

Cancel the above request, found exactly what I was looking for:

"Bed bolts for Ford Ranger use Torx T-55 heads. The 2 bolts nearest cab are metric 12cm x 1.75 (Ford part #N806252-S103). The other 4 bolts are a bit shorter at size metric 10cm x 1.75 (Ford part #N806251-S103)."

Cancel the above request, found exactly what I was looking for:

"Bed bolts for Ford Ranger use Torx T-55 heads. The 2 bolts nearest cab are metric 12cm x 1.75 (Ford part #N806252-S103). The other 4 bolts are a bit shorter at size metric 10cm x 1.75 (Ford part #N806251-S103)."

One of mine wallered out so we put a couple tack welds around the hole to make up the space. Worked out great.

I like the torx head bolt idea. Would make future removal a lot easier.

One of mine wallered out so we put a couple tack welds around the hole to make up the space. Worked out great.

I like the torx head bolt idea. Would make future removal a lot easier.

Yeah, if they work out I think I'll have the top half chrome plated. I'll keep the forum advised.