Bullnose Forums

1986 f-150 4.9L inline 6 with YAF 1 bbl. Can't figure part located under carb.

If you are pointing to the rusted out piece, it looks like the Thermactor system check valve. On the YFA carburetors, first thing to check is the float bowl to throttle body joint (it is the one between the aluminum bottom portion and the gold part above it) if you can get any movement there, then that is the problem.

If you are pointing to the rusted out piece, it looks like the Thermactor system check valve. On the YFA carburetors, first thing to check is the float bowl to throttle body joint (it is the one between the aluminum bottom portion and the gold part above it) if you can get any movement there, then that is the problem.

i hope that check valve is sealing, or it could get loud

i hope that check valve is sealing, or it could get loud

Thanks for the tip. It has gotten loud. Having a hard time finding the part. The auto part stores that have a replacement are telling me my truck takes a shorter version of this part. As you can see my part is 3-4 inches long. Theirs looks like 2 inches long in the photo. (No one carries it in stock) Another problem I am having is getting the old one off! Too funny. Been spraying it for 2 days with penetrating oil. Scared to torch it being so close to fuel. About ready to get some metal tape and jerry rig it.

Thanks for the tip. It has gotten loud. Having a hard time finding the part. The auto part stores that have a replacement are telling me my truck takes a shorter version of this part. As you can see my part is 3-4 inches long. Theirs looks like 2 inches long in the photo. (No one carries it in stock) Another problem I am having is getting the old one off! Too funny. Been spraying it for 2 days with penetrating oil. Scared to torch it being so close to fuel. About ready to get some metal tape and jerry rig it.

well it threads into the plate between the carb and the intake itself. not a real difficult task to remove it and place in a vise in order to get a real wrench on it. that plate is aluminum btw, the steel part threaded into it is a taper thread 3/4npt i believe, i have "seen" them with a pipe plug before. heck you may not even have to get new carb mount gaskets.