Bullnose Forums

Engine will not shut down

JohnC

I have made no changes to the truck recently. I cleaned and lubed the starter a year ago.

My issue is that sometimes now, I turn the key off and the engine still runs (not dieseling). I try the key several times and then I pop the clutch to kill it.

Switch, starter, or something else?

Thanks.

You are sure it isn't dieseling? If so, then I'd try pulling the wires off the coil and see if it stops. (I'm assuming you have the horse shoe connector that will let you slide the connections off.)

And if that kills it you probably have an ignition switch problem. My guess is that your switch isn't aligned quite right and that the cold has set the grease up so the switch doesn't come all of the way back to Off.

The alignment process is outlined on the Ignition Switch tab at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition. But you'll want to clean and lube the switch as you do it.

You are sure it isn't dieseling? If so, then I'd try pulling the wires off the coil and see if it stops. (I'm assuming you have the horse shoe connector that will let you slide the connections off.)

And if that kills it you probably have an ignition switch problem. My guess is that your switch isn't aligned quite right and that the cold has set the grease up so the switch doesn't come all of the way back to Off.

The alignment process is outlined on the Ignition Switch tab at Documentation/Electrical/Ignition. But you'll want to clean and lube the switch as you do it.

The engine has been running well so I do not expect the dieseling. I will read you documentation. The only issue with the starter I found is that it spun the bushing at the brush end of the starter.

X2 ^

• 4 weeks later...

I cleaned the starter components and replaced the bushing.

I removed and cleaned the ignition switch. I aligned it.

I replaced the solenoid (after tapping on it).

All is good. The engine starts when I want and stops as it should.