Bullnose Forums

Recommendations On Tire Steps?

We had a short conversation about tire steps back in August in WHYDTYTT where SCBill recommended this tire step from AutoZone. But Christmas is approaching and I'm thinking of placing one of them on my Santa's list and thought I'd ask what ones y'all have and how you like them?

A simple search on Amazon turned up dozens of them from $45 to $242, so it is apparently not as easy of a question to answer as I thought and your input is requested. :nabble_waving_orig:

(NB: I'll move this to the Garage/Shop & Tools section when we get several answers, but wanted it here to get some quick attention.)

That's not a bad idea for a gift. I know I have to go get the little step stool out of kitchen almost everytime I work in the engine bay. I didn't see a weight rating on it. I need something that won't fold under 300 lbs.

I don't see a weight rating on that one either. But most of them are rated for 300 lbs.

As for the stool, as mentioned in the WHYDTYTT discussion I have one of the aluminum steps that does a good job getting me to the right height. However, if I lean too far it'll scoot out from under me and I do a belly flop on the fender. I've resorted to using a ratchet strap to hold the stool to the tire when I'm reaching way out, but thought the tire step would be better.

I don't see a weight rating on that one either. But most of them are rated for 300 lbs.

As for the stool, as mentioned in the WHYDTYTT discussion I have one of the aluminum steps that does a good job getting me to the right height. However, if I lean too far it'll scoot out from under me and I do a belly flop on the fender. I've resorted to using a ratchet strap to hold the stool to the tire when I'm reaching way out, but thought the tire step would be better.

I saw something years ago someone had built, not as portable or fast as a tire step. He had built a platform in three sections that went front and both sides at about the height of the tire step. The sections hooked together so you had to drive the truck in partially, hook them together and drive the rest of the way in.

Advantage, a walk around work platform.

Disadvantages, need to assemble, disassemble and store between uses.

I saw something years ago someone had built, not as portable or fast as a tire step. He had built a platform in three sections that went front and both sides at about the height of the tire step. The sections hooked together so you had to drive the truck in partially, hook them together and drive the rest of the way in.

Advantage, a walk around work platform.

Disadvantages, need to assemble, disassemble and store between uses.

Thanks, Bill. But I'm going to hope for one of these steps. Several reasons, including that I can take it with me on trips. I was able to work on the carb by standing on the bumper, but one of the steps would have been very helpful.

Thanks, Bill. But I'm going to hope for one of these steps. Several reasons, including that I can take it with me on trips. I was able to work on the carb by standing on the bumper, but one of the steps would have been very helpful.

That was my thought also, it can be carried with you. However, if you would finish the injection system.....

I like these steps.

How will it fit with the 4WD front axle? Looks to me like it would hit the hub.

Bill - The EFI installation is one of the reasons I want the step. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dane - That's an excellent question. This KAYCENTOP Tire Step from Amazon isn't big enough. The 17" measurement between the uprights, which is also the dimension at the step, would allow the step to hit the hub.

So I need to find one that measures at least 20" there, and preferably more. The 20" measurement would allow it to just clear the hub. So more searching is needed... :nabble_anim_working:

61CkygzrIvL.thumb.jpg.041e84af03d0c1dcbd6849f036c804d6.jpg

Bill - The EFI installation is one of the reasons I want the step. :nabble_smiley_wink:

Dane - That's an excellent question. This KAYCENTOP Tire Step from Amazon isn't big enough. The 17" measurement between the uprights, which is also the dimension at the step, would allow the step to hit the hub.

So I need to find one that measures at least 20" there, and preferably more. The 20" measurement would allow it to just clear the hub. So more searching is needed... :nabble_anim_working:

Here are some. E trailer in Missouri.

https://www.etrailer.com/Nerf-Bars---Running-Boards/Powerbuilt/ALL647596.html

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Truck+Tire+Step

Thanks, Bruce. :nabble_smiley_good:

Didn't realize that Etrailer is in MO. Cool. And I think either one of those would work. They aren't quite 20" wide, but close enough given the set back/out of the step from the vertical arm. I think they'd clear the hub.