Bullnose Forums

Temporarily converting HVAC fan speed from 3 spd to single spd. X-posted

Update my friends.

I ended up using a converter and a heat gun. Lol. It worked.

Thank you all for your help it is greatly appreciated

Converter = inverter? Meaning 12v dc to 120v ac? That should do it!

On the resistor pack, there is a thermal limiter in the line and when it blows it appears like the resistors are bad. The limiter looks a bit like a diode, so check your resistors ahead of it.

Converter = inverter? Meaning 12v dc to 120v ac? That should do it!

On the resistor pack, there is a thermal limiter in the line and when it blows it appears like the resistors are bad. The limiter looks a bit like a diode, so check your resistors ahead of it.

Hi Gary,

Yes inverter rather my apologies.

As that say a pictures are worth a thousand words.these pictures where taken after cleaning. I am getting tired and going to have to hit the hay. I will talk to you guys tomorrow.

Thanks for everything Gary.

20211127_132854.jpg.f1e0082801c5b09df2d3604cd38fa69d.jpg

20211127_132922_(1).jpg.f7e7f26c4d9dabc4700abed873cfafb1.jpg

Hi Gary,

Yes inverter rather my apologies.

As that say a pictures are worth a thousand words.these pictures where taken after cleaning. I am getting tired and going to have to hit the hay. I will talk to you guys tomorrow.

Thanks for everything Gary.

I have a tip related to that resistor. Puddles the 86 suffered a burnt one a few years back, due to leaves and tree detritus accumulated in there. Smelled like a campfire in the cab one morning.

I kept back burnering an idea I had to put a screen across the slots of the cowl. Never got to it, but I would tape off the cowl if parking under oak trees in fall.

Then we bought Farm Truck, our first Bricky. I spied its improved cowl. It fits a Bully, and keeps out leaves much better. But the secret is out, as many Bricknoses in junkyards have a missing cowl. We've switched to a buy-entire-parts-trucks approach, because we are fortunate to live rural and have acres. At this point we have enough cowls to equip all our Bully trucks with a Bricky cowl. No more burnt resistors.

FYI

I have a tip related to that resistor. Puddles the 86 suffered a burnt one a few years back, due to leaves and tree detritus accumulated in there. Smelled like a campfire in the cab one morning.

I kept back burnering an idea I had to put a screen across the slots of the cowl. Never got to it, but I would tape off the cowl if parking under oak trees in fall.

Then we bought Farm Truck, our first Bricky. I spied its improved cowl. It fits a Bully, and keeps out leaves much better. But the secret is out, as many Bricknoses in junkyards have a missing cowl. We've switched to a buy-entire-parts-trucks approach, because we are fortunate to live rural and have acres. At this point we have enough cowls to equip all our Bully trucks with a Bricky cowl. No more burnt resistors.

FYI

Big Blue is sporting one of the pin cushion cowls. Works great. :nabble_smiley_good:

Big Blue is sporting one of the pin cushion cowls. Works great. :nabble_smiley_good:

pay attention on the resistor. it has multiple resistors to create three different speeds, but it also has a thermo-fuse crimped in there too. you cannot see if is blown it must be checked for continuity on its own . either way it requires a replacement unless you are willing to replace it. fiddly and needs to be crimped and not soldered but still doable .

FYI

Hi Reno,

I was kind of surprised I only found one pine neddle in the blower fan compartment and nothing but a shot resistor asy in the other opening.

I will probably convert it to a single speed via a relay. I like to keep things as simple as possible when possible. This is one of those times.

I may have to look for a pin hole intake cover.

Thank you for you're post.

pay attention on the resistor. it has multiple resistors to create three different speeds, but it also has a thermo-fuse crimped in there too. you cannot see if is blown it must be checked for continuity on its own . either way it requires a replacement unless you are willing to replace it. fiddly and needs to be crimped and not soldered but still doable .

Hi mat in tn,

Oh yeah its shot, ohm and continuity zero it is toast. I cleaned and re smashed the crimps nothing worked. I am going to turn it in to a single speed fan tomorrow.

Thanks for you're post.