Bullnose Forums

Low mileage 81 Bronco in western Canada

I'm cynical about that being a 351 Cleveland engine.

I was giving a vet a ride home one day in my Bronco, and he asked which engine I had. I said a 351. And he says Cleveland? I chuckled and said no Windsor.

Edit: The ad says everything original. I thought only Australia had production of 351 Clevelands past 1974.

I was giving a vet a ride home one day in my Bronco, and he asked which engine I had. I said a 351. And he says Cleveland? I chuckled and said no Windsor.

Edit: The ad says everything original. I thought only Australia had production of 351 Clevelands past 1974.

I agree - shouldn't be a Cleveland. And, should not be 330 HP if original. I don't see the HP ratings in my on-line version of the '81 dealers fact book, but the 1982 version gives the 5.8L Windsor 139 HP in the Bronco. That's a far cry from 330 HP.

Maybe he thinks it's a Cleveland, and he Googled the specs;)

Didn't some of the early Bullnose Bronco's have the 351M? Or was that only in the trucks?

I really know nothing about the non-SBF engines. They're all greek to me.

Maybe he thinks it's a Cleveland, and he Googled the specs;)

Didn't some of the early Bullnose Bronco's have the 351M? Or was that only in the trucks?

I really know nothing about the non-SBF engines. They're all greek to me.

I think, (heavy on the think part!), they did put the 351M in the early Bullnose Broncos. Good point, that could cause the confusion.

I shouldn't be cynical, "Cleveland" is one of those buzz words people like to use.

Same as most of the Ford "Highboys" magically have 390 engines in them. It's my understanding Ford never put anything bigger than the 360 (externally identical to the 390) in the "Highboys".

Alas, I'm no expert at all, and should not let these things bug me!

I shouldn't be cynical, "Cleveland" is one of those buzz words people like to use.

Soon after I bought my truck, a coworker of mine asked me if it had the Cleveland engine...lol. He was clearly just taking a wild stab in the dark, as I had already told him it was a 302, but anyway...some people just do that.

There were a couple brothers in my highschool that drove and old grey LTD....I'm thinking it was probably a 76 or 77, there abouts...and they always used to say that it had a "351 Wide Block" whatever that meant...lol.

Soon after I bought my truck, a coworker of mine asked me if it had the Cleveland engine...lol. He was clearly just taking a wild stab in the dark, as I had already told him it was a 302, but anyway...some people just do that.

There were a couple brothers in my highschool that drove and old grey LTD....I'm thinking it was probably a 76 or 77, there abouts...and they always used to say that it had a "351 Wide Block" whatever that meant...lol.

The 1981 Light Trucks Facts Organizer says that 351's were available in the Broncos. And, in 1981 the Windsors were not available in the F-Series or U-Series trucks, so it would have been the 351M.

George Reid's book on Cleveland Engines says the M-Block was a Cleveland. I disagree. They were all 335 Series engines, not Clevelands.

The theory is that Ford designated the engine we know as the "351C" a Cleveland because the vast majority of them were built at the Cleveland plant. But the M-Block engines were cast at one of three foundries: Dearborn Iron Foundry; Michigan Casting Centery; or Cleveland Foundry.

The 1981 Light Trucks Facts Organizer says that 351's were available in the Broncos. And, in 1981 the Windsors were not available in the F-Series or U-Series trucks, so it would have been the 351M.

George Reid's book on Cleveland Engines says the M-Block was a Cleveland. I disagree. They were all 335 Series engines, not Clevelands.

The theory is that Ford designated the engine we know as the "351C" a Cleveland because the vast majority of them were built at the Cleveland plant. But the M-Block engines were cast at one of three foundries: Dearborn Iron Foundry; Michigan Casting Centery; or Cleveland Foundry.

The Cleveland version of the 335 engine was only produced till 1974 and I have always been on the understanding that it was never installed in a truck. I'm sure someone will argue that, but it will take a lot of good solid evidence to change my mind.

There was an "M" code Cleveland, but it was a 4bbl closed chamber head engine with next to nothing in common with the 351M installed by the millions into Ford sedans in the 70's and truck up till '82.

All Clevelands used the Windsor bellhousing bolt pattern. The block was unique in that it had a cast in timing chain recess where the Windsor engines used an aluminum timing cover. The Cleveland was available with 4 bolt mains where the Windsor used 2 bolt mains. There were differences in the oiling circuits and the general consensus is that the Wiundsor block would be preferable.

The M engine is quite a different matter. It shared a block with the 400 and uses the 335/385 series bellhousing bolt pattern.

The interchangeability of heads between the Windsor and Cleveland/335 engines produced some interesting variants such as the Boss 302 and a hybrid which came to be known as a "Clevor". Typically 2BBL open chamber heads on a Windsor block with a special manifold.

The Cleveland version of the 335 engine was only produced till 1974 and I have always been on the understanding that it was never installed in a truck. I'm sure someone will argue that, but it will take a lot of good solid evidence to change my mind.

There was an "M" code Cleveland, but it was a 4bbl closed chamber head engine with next to nothing in common with the 351M installed by the millions into Ford sedans in the 70's and truck up till '82.

All Clevelands used the Windsor bellhousing bolt pattern. The block was unique in that it had a cast in timing chain recess where the Windsor engines used an aluminum timing cover. The Cleveland was available with 4 bolt mains where the Windsor used 2 bolt mains. There were differences in the oiling circuits and the general consensus is that the Wiundsor block would be preferable.

The M engine is quite a different matter. It shared a block with the 400 and uses the 335/385 series bellhousing bolt pattern.

The interchangeability of heads between the Windsor and Cleveland/335 engines produced some interesting variants such as the Boss 302 and a hybrid which came to be known as a "Clevor". Typically 2BBL open chamber heads on a Windsor block with a special manifold.

NO, a true Cleveland 351, has NEVER been installed in a truck by Ford :)