Bullnose Forums

4x4 front axle diameter vs hub caps

Hi people!

I am looking to finalize BigBrother's restoration with dog dish hub caps. I found some 12" diameter, since it is a 1 ton truck.

Problem comes with the center hole in the front hub caps: All the 12" used ones I found are 3 3/4" diameter, since BigBrother requires 4 1/4" approximately, in order to fit its exterior axle. Even LMC sells 3 3/4" ones.

I am preparing to modify the ones I already got, I suspect it will be a delicate job... Would prefer to buy the good ones.

Any suggestions? Is my front 4x4 axle so special? How to identify it?

Thanks!

Interesting. It looks like the F350 4x4's or DRW's didn't come with hub caps. :nabble_smiley_scared:

The snippet from the Master Parts Catalog, below, doesn't even give a part number. (1130 is the base part number for hub caps for any Ford vehicle anywhere in the world.)

And the 1984 Truck Facts Book, which Ford supplied to the dealers, says in the Standard Trim Features section: Hub Caps - Bright. Not available with F250 4x4 SuperCab, F350 4x4, F350 Dual Rear Wheel Models or F250 4x4 models with heavy-duty front suspension."

As for your measurement, Big Blue's D60 hubs measure about 4 1/4" in diameter. So you apparently have the "heavy duty front suspension".

1984_Hub_Caps.jpg.dd72944c889f6c073870f5878823f051.jpg

Interesting. It looks like the F350 4x4's or DRW's didn't come with hub caps. :nabble_smiley_scared:

The snippet from the Master Parts Catalog, below, doesn't even give a part number. (1130 is the base part number for hub caps for any Ford vehicle anywhere in the world.)

And the 1984 Truck Facts Book, which Ford supplied to the dealers, says in the Standard Trim Features section: Hub Caps - Bright. Not available with F250 4x4 SuperCab, F350 4x4, F350 Dual Rear Wheel Models or F250 4x4 models with heavy-duty front suspension."

As for your measurement, Big Blue's D60 hubs measure about 4 1/4" in diameter. So you apparently have the "heavy duty front suspension".

Thanks Gary,

Well, you're certainly right. Each time we see an original 350 with dog dish caps, it is not 4x4.

Good news for me, better with the "heavy duty" kit!

Anyway, I bought a Holesaw with correct diameter, and I will modify the front caps I found. I like the "dog dish" vintage look. We'll see the result.

IMG_5172.jpg.4d43007f85a47473905a59e1aa5567ad.jpg

IMG_0568.jpg.3975689ac03f9323c092ab6f4f0224d6.jpg

Thanks Gary,

Well, you're certainly right. Each time we see an original 350 with dog dish caps, it is not 4x4.

Anyway, I bought a Holesaw with correct diameter, and I will modify the front caps I found. I like the "dog dish" vintage look. We'll see the result.

Getting that hole saw lined up properly with the existing hole is going to be a challenge. Do you have a smaller hole saw that will just fit in the hole? That would line it up.

Thanks Gary,

I’m a steelie fan with or without dog dishes, I prefer without. But the do dishes are cool IMO.