Bullnose Forums

Choke, cold running misfire question

rcarlisle

That is the EGR valve/plate. I don’t remember what you need to do to eliminate that on that engine/carb setup. But if you do the ignition timing should be changed as it will be advanced a long ways at part throttle.

There is a metal pipe coming off of the cat housing that is flattened and rolled up. I'm guessing that was the EGR pipe? I'm assuming the cat housing is gutted as well. It has been welded on one end. I have NO inspections of any sort in NC. Not even safety.

But the truck runs dang good even with the carb leaking. SO I'm thinking that's something that can be left in place. It has a block off plate on the rear of that housing. The extra 3/4 rise it provides can't really hurt that I see. And it provides a little extra room under the choke area to "tickle" the fast idle screw.

Coil clearance also. I think I'll just leave it.

Thanks for the help.

Take a close look at base of carb - there is an extra piece in there. It has some sort of thing on rear of extra piece. What is this plate? Do I need to keep it if I replace carb? I'm going in search of docs on this.

Also below the vac pulloff in this photo.

Under carb here.

Feel free to comment if you see something that needs to be addressed. I didn't install this old reman carb on the new reman engine. I haven't touched anything except dist cap and rotor because cap was cracked at tower 3.

That is not the correct carburetor for your truck. That specific carburetor was calibrated for a 5.0 with an AOD (Automatic Overdrive) transmission. You can tell from the extra linkage on the throttle lever. So, someone either switched the carburetor out with the wrong one or swapped transmissions.

That carburetor was also calibrated for an EGR valve, and yours is missing. The plate is still there under the carburetor, but the valve itself is MIA.

And your hot air choke isn't even hooked up. Your choke will never work correctly without it.

That is not the correct carburetor for your truck. That specific carburetor was calibrated for a 5.0 with an AOD (Automatic Overdrive) transmission. You can tell from the extra linkage on the throttle lever. So, someone either switched the carburetor out with the wrong one or swapped transmissions.

That carburetor was also calibrated for an EGR valve, and yours is missing. The plate is still there under the carburetor, but the valve itself is MIA.

And your hot air choke isn't even hooked up. Your choke will never work correctly without it.

Everything works. That said, it's hard to find a manual trans carb so far. Rock Auto only has carbs for autos and AODs. I have no idea the original trans in truck other than it was an auto. This is a reman UREMCO carb. from 2015 I think. What are the differences?

My trans was changed to a M5-od-R2 by someone else. EGR has a plate, yes. If I had same reman carb, it should run at least like it does now without the gas leaking at throttle linkage.

In the past, I used YOUR idea for the choke tubes out of the Dorman housing and documented that elsewhere. I still have the photo saved with these. So it currently does have the choke hooked up and working at least as well as I can tinker it to work. These are old photos, trying to figure out what the EGR plate was for.

And gosh only knows what the engine was spec'd as. Some sort of 302 (?) from AutoZone. It will bark 2nd and runs pretty dang good for what it is, a 40 year old semi restored truck.

I like my truck, just trying to make it a little better.

Everything works. That said, it's hard to find a manual trans carb so far. Rock Auto only has carbs for autos and AODs. I have no idea the original trans in truck other than it was an auto. This is a reman UREMCO carb. from 2015 I think. What are the differences?

My trans was changed to a M5-od-R2 by someone else. EGR has a plate, yes. If I had same reman carb, it should run at least like it does now without the gas leaking at throttle linkage.

In the past, I used YOUR idea for the choke tubes out of the Dorman housing and documented that elsewhere. I still have the photo saved with these. So it currently does have the choke hooked up and working at least as well as I can tinker it to work. These are old photos, trying to figure out what the EGR plate was for.

And gosh only knows what the engine was spec'd as. Some sort of 302 (?) from AutoZone. It will bark 2nd and runs pretty dang good for what it is, a 40 year old semi restored truck.

I like my truck, just trying to make it a little better.

the truck was originally an auto as it still has the auto shifter column. how specific to get with everything being factory correct is absolutely "drivers' choice". Very minor differences between auto vs manual when it comes to carburetion other than fitting to linkages etc. if anything the auto tuning may have a slower vacuum response for a more sustained lower vacuum under load. the air injection pipe at the cat converter would have originally gone to the thermactor system to supply air to the exhaust. many defeated ones are rolled and welded. many replacements come with a pipe that often gets done that way too. the engine "is" getting more air and fuel as a result of the egr being removed and plated over and the cyl will run a little hotter and pinging can happen more so you may want to pull a degree or two back from your dist. advance. pinging and valve rattle can do damage. that's not to say that millions haven't run well and long without egr.

egr was designed to lower combustion temperature and the damage it can cause. egr systems do not operate all of the time and there are means which were built in to operate it when needed and not when unneeded

the truck was originally an auto as it still has the auto shifter column. how specific to get with everything being factory correct is absolutely "drivers' choice". Very minor differences between auto vs manual when it comes to carburetion other than fitting to linkages etc. if anything the auto tuning may have a slower vacuum response for a more sustained lower vacuum under load. the air injection pipe at the cat converter would have originally gone to the thermactor system to supply air to the exhaust. many defeated ones are rolled and welded. many replacements come with a pipe that often gets done that way too. the engine "is" getting more air and fuel as a result of the egr being removed and plated over and the cyl will run a little hotter and pinging can happen more so you may want to pull a degree or two back from your dist. advance. pinging and valve rattle can do damage. that's not to say that millions haven't run well and long without egr.

egr was designed to lower combustion temperature and the damage it can cause. egr systems do not operate all of the time and there are means which were built in to operate it when needed and not when unneeded

Thanks Mat. Good information. I haven't noticed any pinging. Guys that did the engine swap are pretty good so they may have worked on all that.

Those are refinements I'll be addressing next.

I did order a new carb today. Hopefully that will work out smoothly

Thanks Mat. Good information. I haven't noticed any pinging. Guys that did the engine swap are pretty good so they may have worked on all that.

Those are refinements I'll be addressing next.

I did order a new carb today. Hopefully that will work out smoothly

engine swap? what was it before?

engine swap? what was it before?

VIN indicates 302 originally. But I have a receipt from PO that shows engine change and talking to garage that did the change said it was an Auto Zone reman 302 engine.

Beyond that, I don't know what's in the reman engine - nothing special I'm sure. Probably embarrassingly low hp. But the truck runs fine and does what a truck is supposed to. Some vac lines gone and some plugged. Emissions at least partially removed. NC has NO inspections for this old a vehicle.

VIN indicates 302 originally. But I have a receipt from PO that shows engine change and talking to garage that did the change said it was an Auto Zone reman 302 engine.

Beyond that, I don't know what's in the reman engine - nothing special I'm sure. Probably embarrassingly low hp. But the truck runs fine and does what a truck is supposed to. Some vac lines gone and some plugged. Emissions at least partially removed. NC has NO inspections for this old a vehicle.

most likely an autozone "long block". it's, time for an Edelbrock performer and avs 2 600 cfm carb. hey if you are going to delete half of the emissions, do it right ! haha

most likely an autozone "long block". it's, time for an Edelbrock performer and avs 2 600 cfm carb. hey if you are going to delete half of the emissions, do it right ! haha

Send that to me and I'll install it! No money for that and I like stock right now. That might be for V 3.0. We just up to V2.0 of me owning it. But that is a great idea. Along with some 5 slot mags, of Keystones or Cragars. May as well dream big eh?

I have deleted nothing myself. I'm driving it as I bought it other than fixing the choke. Just now getting into making it better.

Send that to me and I'll install it! No money for that and I like stock right now. That might be for V 3.0. We just up to V2.0 of me owning it. But that is a great idea. Along with some 5 slot mags, of Keystones or Cragars. May as well dream big eh?

I have deleted nothing myself. I'm driving it as I bought it other than fixing the choke. Just now getting into making it better.

you gotta start somewhere. how far are you from Salisbury by the way? i go there regularly and probably headed there in the next two weeks. I'm building an 83 f100 there. i just picked it up last month and im building the 5.0 for it to take out there and install along with a c6 for starters