Bullnose Forums

Top half of speedo cable?

I am replacing my speedo with a GPS driven unit but am keeping my cruise control. I have the two part speedo cable with connection to the cruise at the joint. Can I take out the top portion of the cable entirely? It seems like I could but I don’t know if that would screw something up.

That will work just fine. I doesn't need the top half.

Or, you could get a 1986 or later VSS and plug it into the t-case. You'll have to extend the wires from under the brake booster, but it'll work just fine.

In '86, for most of the trucks, they dropped the two-piece speedo cable with the VSS in the middle for the later VSS that has the driven gear on it. Then a one-piece speedo cable connects to it. But you don't need the cable, so...

That will work just fine. I doesn't need the top half.

Or, you could get a 1986 or later VSS and plug it into the t-case. You'll have to extend the wires from under the brake booster, but it'll work just fine.

In '86, for most of the trucks, they dropped the two-piece speedo cable with the VSS in the middle for the later VSS that has the driven gear on it. Then a one-piece speedo cable connects to it. But you don't need the cable, so...

Gary, I would bet that like other changes it varied by assembly plant. I think Matt's "Stolen" 86 F150 had it on the transfer case, Darth's was in the cable at the floor to firewall seam. Stolen was built in Norfolk VA, Darth in Oakville ONT.

Gary, I would bet that like other changes it varied by assembly plant. I think Matt's "Stolen" 86 F150 had it on the transfer case, Darth's was in the cable at the floor to firewall seam. Stolen was built in Norfolk VA, Darth in Oakville ONT.

I agree, Bill. There’s no way Ford could time everything so they’d run out of the old parts at every plant on the same day. But they needed to train people to install parts “in this way”, so I’ll bet they consolidated the old parts to specific plants and used them until they were gone.