Bullnose Forums

Poncho Loco Thread Takeover

Thanks to everyone for the replies. The replacement regulator didn't work either, but we did spot an overlooked vacuum leak (thanks for that info Gary) and adjusted the float. And just like that, the idle went from 3 thousand to 15 hundred rpm, and fuel stopped spurting out of the float vent. Pressure was last measured at 5 psi, which seems to be just fine.

The epilogue to our fuel pressure regulator story is that the 2nd one also did nothing. 100% Inoperative.

Crank the screw either way, as far as you want, monitoring the fuel pressure in real time...no change at all. And if you look closely down in the inlet, you see a small orifice. Wouldn't some type of spring-adjustable gate be what you'd expect to see?

Because some of you have used this successfully in the past, I suspect that Holley switched chinese factories to add chrome bling and lower costs, but forgot about having it actually work at its basic function. Growing up on good Holley and Edelbrock hot rod parts since my first 289 build as a teen, this is a big change.

The epilogue to our fuel pressure regulator story is that the 2nd one also did nothing. 100% Inoperative.

Crank the screw either way, as far as you want, monitoring the fuel pressure in real time...no change at all. And if you look closely down in the inlet, you see a small orifice. Wouldn't some type of spring-adjustable gate be what you'd expect to see?

Because some of you have used this successfully in the past, I suspect that Holley switched chinese factories to add chrome bling and lower costs, but forgot about having it actually work at its basic function. Growing up on good Holley and Edelbrock hot rod parts since my first 289 build as a teen, this is a big change.

That is a shame! I'm using the same regulator and it is working fine. Sorry you are having those problems.

That is a shame! I'm using the same regulator and it is working fine. Sorry you are having those problems.

I'll wax eloquent and go OT a little (back when I waxed my cars, before kids and all the dirt roads here in TX, I wanted to name one car Eloquent just so I could say that).

This sad story seems to be increasingly common and accelerating with the Cooties. Formerly reliable brands go in the tank, production moved to the lowest bidder somewhere in the 3rd world, customer support offshored to India etc. Look closely and you find that your favorite old brand is now part of Global Widget Corp. I won't list the examples. We all know a few.

The answer, imho, is to seek referrals from folks who have positive experiences. That's where a forum like this one really shines. For example, we all learned that the Holley FPR used to work, but now it's problematic.

Amazon reviews tipped me off to this before I bought, but I tried it anyway. Those reviews are only helpful to a certain extent, because highly-informed customers there are rare. You do find more in auto parts, scientific supplies, specialty tools, and firearms-related products. BTW, I prefer not to buy more than inexpensive stuff on Amazon. I try to find the actual vendor and buy direct. Bezos has enough power. It's gone way beyond money with him and his ilk.

So please guys, when something works well, let us all know. I posted four reliable vendors last week, and I hope that helped some of you. I also posted the poly bushing vendor I found yesterday when 4WP let me down. Maybe Gary could post a sticky "good vendor story" or perhaps there already is one. There's a boatload of info on this forum!

Rant off. As you were!

I'll wax eloquent and go OT a little (back when I waxed my cars, before kids and all the dirt roads here in TX, I wanted to name one car Eloquent just so I could say that).

This sad story seems to be increasingly common and accelerating with the Cooties. Formerly reliable brands go in the tank, production moved to the lowest bidder somewhere in the 3rd world, customer support offshored to India etc. Look closely and you find that your favorite old brand is now part of Global Widget Corp. I won't list the examples. We all know a few.

The answer, imho, is to seek referrals from folks who have positive experiences. That's where a forum like this one really shines. For example, we all learned that the Holley FPR used to work, but now it's problematic.

Amazon reviews tipped me off to this before I bought, but I tried it anyway. Those reviews are only helpful to a certain extent, because highly-informed customers there are rare. You do find more in auto parts, scientific supplies, specialty tools, and firearms-related products. BTW, I prefer not to buy more than inexpensive stuff on Amazon. I try to find the actual vendor and buy direct. Bezos has enough power. It's gone way beyond money with him and his ilk.

So please guys, when something works well, let us all know. I posted four reliable vendors last week, and I hope that helped some of you. I also posted the poly bushing vendor I found yesterday when 4WP let me down. Maybe Gary could post a sticky "good vendor story" or perhaps there already is one. There's a boatload of info on this forum!

Rant off. As you were!

We have a vendor rating section: Bullnose Forum/Marketplace/Vendor Reviews & Ratings. And I just added Holley to the list. Feel free to give them a rating and explain why.

We have a vendor rating section: Bullnose Forum/Marketplace/Vendor Reviews & Ratings. And I just added Holley to the list. Feel free to give them a rating and explain why.

I gave Holley a good rating but have only dealt with their carbs.

I talked to the shop I use and he said they get 4-5 bad parts a week out of the box.

Outsourcing, going cheap and no pride in workmanship just irritates me.