Bullnose Forums

351W "street" intakes

Lima Delta

Looking for some experience with Edelbrock manifold/carb setups, specifically wondering about assembly height with the stock HO air cleaner.

I'll be using a 1406 on top of a Performer intake and am wondering about a 1" phenolic spacer, and whether this will cause any hood clearance issues?

I know the OEM intake uses an EGR spacer, and I think the Performer is a tad taller than the OEM HO intake... but I can't seem to find any specifics about the OEM intake to compare to.

Thanks!

Looking for some experience with Edelbrock manifold/carb setups, specifically wondering about assembly height with the stock HO air cleaner.

I'll be using a 1406 on top of a Performer intake and am wondering about a 1" phenolic spacer, and whether this will cause any hood clearance issues?

I know the OEM intake uses an EGR spacer, and I think the Performer is a tad taller than the OEM HO intake... but I can't seem to find any specifics about the OEM intake to compare to.

Thanks!

I have a Performer351, 1/4" spacer, Edlebrock 1406 carb, and an aftermarket aircleaner on my truck. I'm pretty sure the OEM unit sits lower than my aftermarket aircleaner. While I still have the OEM aircleaner, I can't get to it. My set up is pictured below. Is there any measurements I can get for you? Fuel_Line.jpg.a99336b774c8b45c2cbb5e0d2324e7b6.jpg

AC3.thumb.jpg.ec18464a5f069af78111ae8a60b18e7a.jpg

I have a Performer351, 1/4" spacer, Edlebrock 1406 carb, and an aftermarket aircleaner on my truck. I'm pretty sure the OEM unit sits lower than my aftermarket aircleaner. While I still have the OEM aircleaner, I can't get to it. My set up is pictured below. Is there any measurements I can get for you?

Hi John,

I suppose if the air cleaner you're using is at least 1" (for safety) taller than the OEM cleaner (measuring from the cleaner's seating surface) that would prove there should be clearance.

Could you measure from the bottom seat of you cleaner to the top of the hold-down nut?

Thanks!

Hi John,

I suppose if the air cleaner you're using is at least 1" (for safety) taller than the OEM cleaner (measuring from the cleaner's seating surface) that would prove there should be clearance.

Could you measure from the bottom seat of you cleaner to the top of the hold-down nut?

Thanks!

Lucas, my air cleaner measures 2 5/8" over the top of my carb. In other words, that's how much space it takes up above the carb. The air cleaner has a 5/8" drop and this was figured into the calculation.

As I said, I think the OEM unit fits lower than this, but I could be wrong.

Lucas, my air cleaner measures 2 5/8" over the top of my carb. In other words, that's how much space it takes up above the carb. The air cleaner has a 5/8" drop and this was figured into the calculation.

As I said, I think the OEM unit fits lower than this, but I could be wrong.

Ok, great, thanks again John.

I'm going to take a closer look at things under my hood later today.

Just to be clear, does that measurement include the hold down nut on top?

Cheers!

Ok, great, thanks again John.

I'm going to take a closer look at things under my hood later today.

Just to be clear, does that measurement include the hold down nut on top?

Cheers!

Well, looks like I should have about 3/4" to spare under the hood...

But it's cold and windy out and I wasn't measuring as accurately as I might otherwise lol

John, the 1/4" spacer you're using - is that something akin to the "heat insulating gasket" Edelbrock sells?

Anyone out there running the same setup with a 1" spacer?

Well, looks like I should have about 3/4" to spare under the hood...

But it's cold and windy out and I wasn't measuring as accurately as I might otherwise lol

John, the 1/4" spacer you're using - is that something akin to the "heat insulating gasket" Edelbrock sells?

Anyone out there running the same setup with a 1" spacer?

Yes, that is exactly what it is. I'm very pleased with it too. Was wondering why you wanted to go with a 1" spacer. Honestly, think you'll be just fine with what I have.

Forgot to add the air cleaner nut at about 7/16".

I only have the little 302 to compare to, but I thought that there was loads of room under there no?

I had an Edelbrock Performer intake, Holley 4bbl, with a 1" spacer under the carb, and a 1" spacer on top of the carb. The air cleaner had a 1.125" drop, but I was running a 4" tall filter, so it basically adds up to 4" above the carb. Mind you, the "top" of the 302 is approximately 1" lower than a 351W. Even with all that, I thought there were still several inches clearance above the air cleaner lid. Could be wrong though.

I had to run the 1" spacer so that the 14" air cleaner would clear the coil and distributor, and also keep the throttle cable level in the factory position. The factory intake had that giant EGR spacer under there.

IMG_6275.jpg.78443f40027b61afabd548271e38fc89.jpg

IMG_4681.jpg.76404efa8cfe66e05de89746847bf22d.jpg

Of course the factory air cleaners have the massive "cut-out" in the front to clear the distributor and the coil (if mounted on the intake like mine was).

hoodoff.jpeg.0e2a85b095afe0b7383bfec509efc48e.jpeg

Yes, that is exactly what it is. I'm very pleased with it too. Was wondering why you wanted to go with a 1" spacer. Honestly, think you'll be just fine with what I have.

Forgot to add the air cleaner nut at about 7/16".

Ok, thanks. I've been looking at that gasket too, but they make a four-hole spacer I thought I might try (8711). I sometimes have hard starting issues in the summer using the 1406 on the stock manifold and spacer and thought a 1" phenolic piece might be a better insulator. I also thought it might be good for the bottom of the power band...

I may just go with the gasket though, not sure yet...

I only have the little 302 to compare to, but I thought that there was loads of room under there no?

You know it's funny because it does LOOK like there should be lots of room but every time I take some measurements and add things up, the numbers come out kinda skinny. But, jeez, even accounting for the "shorter" block, your assembly was quite a bit taller that what I'm proposing. Maybe I need to be more patient when taking my measurements and stop eyeballing the tape from a distance lol

Thanks both Cory and John for the engine bay pics btw. My engine project is starting to come together now and I've been thinking about things like coil placement, wire routing etc. Nice to see some examples!

Here's from last week, mocking up the water pump and timing cover (trying to find all the right bolts and their holes haha):

Water_pump_and_TC_mock-up_(1).jpg.f8bed30ab26c9e5876be16284ed423bd.jpg

Water_pump_and_TC_mock-up_(3).jpg.fecad2701adf4c3b2f88ead76c24c2b1.jpg

Water_pump_and_TC_mock-up_(4).jpg.875d69fc3eda92816eb9556cc9160b25.jpg