Bullnose Forums

'86 Vent Window Latch Broke Off... Repairs Possible?

Recently I broke the left latch off of an F250 '86 truck's vent window we own, more specifically the metal pin rusted and broke (pic below). I found a replacement handle assembly online on LMC truck (https://www.lmctruck.com/1980-96-ford/fd-1980-91-vent-window-and-components), but I did not find any tutorial on replacing just the handle assembly, only tutorials on replacing the whole window. It must be possible since just the handle assembly is sold, so does anyone here know how? There was a lone post on another forum that spoke of using PB Blaster on the pin, letting it sit for a day, then using a propane torch to warm up the latch and get the pin out. Would that work?

photo_2021-11-22_09-17-07.thumb.jpg.88dc1a0188f19d5142be1501bc0e5ab3.jpg

If getting the pin out is the goal then I think PB Blaster and heat might work. But there's not much to get hold of on that pin, so it doesn't look easy.

I looked the factory service manual section on door glass (Documentation/Body/Front Door Window Glass & Mechanisms) over and don't see a discussion of that. :nabble_smiley_sad:

If getting the pin out is the goal then I think PB Blaster and heat might work. But there's not much to get hold of on that pin, so it doesn't look easy.

I looked the factory service manual section on door glass (Documentation/Body/Front Door Window Glass & Mechanisms) over and don't see a discussion of that. :nabble_smiley_sad:

Hmmm?

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1980-1997-Ford-Bronco-and-F-Series-Truck-Vent-Window-Handle-Right/productinfo/34304R/?gclid=CjwKCAiAnO2MBhApEiwA8q0HYcv8sQ2TR7xYSQxtjRzgZshAUZXWXLvS4Qyfwlygajv03TAexxVEBxoC6GYQAvD_BwE

ventwinhandrh.thumb.jpg.78f5dc38b46106dad37b0423dc9047ed.jpg

The following YouTube link is interesting:

A very small pin punch works, it is a royal PITA to line up and get started.

I'll check mine when I get home... but I do see what looks to be a cross pin pressed in the handle that can be punched out. That should free up the guts. Edit- yep, that'd be the roll pin the pictured kit. That pin rides on a groove in the center pin (what snapped) and holds the resistance spring mechanism together.