Bullnose Forum

Darth Vader

85lebaront2

Dane, same with Darth, I had no idea that the "super cooling" was on him, maybe Gary can dig into his treasure trove of information and see exactly what parts were different. I do know that when I was pulling the 5th wheel in hot weather and traffic on US 301/MD 4 SE of Washington DC, the fan would sound like one of NASA Langley's wind tunnels until I got up to around 35-40 mph and would then taper off.

Interesting on the fan noise, I thought the 94 F250 with a 460 I owned had a bad fan clutch because I was told how noisy they were.

It worked but was quieter than the 86 I used to own. One guy described them as a B17 propeller.

First time it was real warm I heard that fan! And like you said, up to 35-40 MPH and it would quiet down.

I assumed the super cooling had a bigger radiator.

• 1 year later...
On 3/27/2023 at 4:32 PM, grumpin said:

Interesting on the fan noise, I thought the 94 F250 with a 460 I owned had a bad fan clutch because I was told how noisy they were.

It worked but was quieter than the 86 I used to own. One guy described them as a B17 propeller.

First time it was real warm I heard that fan! And like you said, up to 35-40 MPH and it would quiet down.

I assumed the super cooling had a bigger radiator.

So did I, when you look at any of the 1983-97 trucks with the 460, to quote Gary when he saw some pictures of Darth's 460 "How high did Ford have to drop that from to get it to fit?" when Ford redesigned the F-series for the 1980 model year, they made the  (poor) decision to drop the 460 engine option. Had they sunk some money and effort into the 400 they might have suceeded, at least partially. Chevy and GMC retained the 7.4L (454) through those years and they were killing Ford in the towing market.

The 460 is longer, taller and wider than the 351M and 400 engines and when Ford designed the 1980 body and frame the package was based on allowing the longest engine, the 300 ci six to fit somewaht snugly on length and the widest and tallest engines, the 351M/400 to be servicable underhood. When they saw what GM was doing on sales in the heavy (3/4 and 1 ton models) market Ford execs realized they needed to do something to retain the market leading sales of the F-series that they started in 1977, ergo, shove the 460 into the trucks that weren't designed for it. The only good thing, the clutch housings, and automatic transmissions for the 351M/400 also fit the 460 block.

Dodge wasn't much better, maybe worse than Ford in gas engines, 1980 the 360 V8 was the biggest available in the D200 and D300, same for 1981, 1982 and 1983.

4 hours ago, 85lebaront2 said:

shove the 460 into the trucks that weren't designed for it.

Bill, after installing a 460 into a dentside Ford, I can tell the Bullnose trucks have more room on the front, sides and behind dealing with a 460 (All sides except the bottom).... For example, I cannot see the top bellhousing bolts, nor can I see the fan clutch well without removing the fan shroud.

I do agree that 460 being an after-thought on a Bullnose does reflect in the fact that an oil pan removal isn't possible without removing the 460 (at least on the 4x4 models from what I hear). That is simply not OK. 

12 hours ago, viven44 said:

I do agree that 460 being an after-thought on a Bullnose does reflect in the fact that an oil pan removal isn't possible without removing the 460 (at least on the 4x4 models from what I hear).

That's the same for my "little" 351W, which have a really thin oil leak. I find it crazy to lift up the engine for a pan seal replacement, just for this annoying small drop...

👿