Bullnose Forums

Cheap AZ short bed F150

I wonder if the one you found, Gary, might be one of the early "gas mileage" models? If so, it might also have the tiny air dam on the front bumper, the upshift indicator and 2.47 rear gears as well as 205 or 215/75X15 tires.

DING DING DING! WE HAVE A WINNER! :nabble_anim_claps:

Application_-_Fuel_Economy_Leader.thumb.jpg.b1506c5b5101c76afcec642184e2e738.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if the one you found, Gary, might be one of the early "gas mileage" models? If so, it might also have the tiny air dam on the front bumper, the upshift indicator and 2.47 rear gears as well as 205 or 215/75X15 tires.

That's awesome!

Don't you just love it when a plan comes together! :nabble_smiley_good:

Did some searching for 1983 Ford truck "fuel economy leader". And, I found a TSB referencing both the "Pony" and the "Fuel Economy Leader". What do you know!?!?

So, does this TSB deserve to go in the TSB's? (Note that there are 6 TSB's in the list on that page, but 13 TSB's in the drop-down. Your webmaster has a problem. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

Fuel_Economy_Leader.thumb.jpg.c6f468e1563d6eacaa0836345c030622.jpg

Did some searching for 1983 Ford truck "fuel economy leader". And, I found a TSB referencing both the "Pony" and the "Fuel Economy Leader". What do you know!?!?

So, does this TSB deserve to go in the TSB's? (Note that there are 6 TSB's in the list on that page, but 13 TSB's in the drop-down. Your webmaster has a problem. :nabble_smiley_blush:)

My son's 1984 [came with front air dam, manual transmission, 2.47 rear gears] has the upshift indicator, but no wiring going to it.

My son's 1984 [came with front air dam, manual transmission, 2.47 rear gears] has the upshift indicator, but no wiring going to it.

Interesting.

The TSB says that the "Vehicles which are supposed to have a functioning light are determined by the calibration of the engine installed in the vehicle". And I would think that the '83 Fuel Economy Leader would be one of those. However, I don't find a switch that would have anything to do with the up-shift light in the calibration parts list, below. But the EEC/ECU probably turned that on.

Does anyone have an '83 or '84 EVTM? If so, could you look at the EEC wiring or the warning lights wiring? Is there a note as to "Only XYZ" for wiring to the up-shift indicator?

Calibration_Code_3-51P-R0.thumb.jpg.72bf020aa31e86f56971c36bb8b8656f.jpg

Does anyone have an '83 or '84 EVTM? If so, could you look at the EEC wiring or the warning lights wiring? Is there a note as to "Only XYZ" for wiring to the up-shift indicator?

There is nothing specific with part numbers or anything, but the shift light indicator output wire is only on the 4.9L EEC schematic. I don't see it on the 5.0, 5.8, or diesel.

The shift point was determined by engine RPM and engine load (via vacuum). There was an EEC output (RPM) and the output passed through a vacuum switch. There was also a NC switch for top gear that opened when in top gear, disabling the circuit. (Wouldn't want it telling you to upshift when you were in high gear).

That reminds me, I must go look at the wiring schematics for the transmissions and see which ones had a switch for top gear...

Gary, I can send you the 84 EVTM if you PM me your email.

There is nothing specific with part numbers or anything, but the shift light indicator output wire is only on the 4.9L EEC schematic. I don't see it on the 5.0, 5.8, or diesel.

The shift point was determined by engine RPM and engine load (via vacuum). There was an EEC output (RPM) and the output passed through a vacuum switch. There was also a NC switch for top gear that opened when in top gear, disabling the circuit. (Wouldn't want it telling you to upshift when you were in high gear).

That reminds me, I must go look at the wiring schematics for the transmissions and see which ones had a switch for top gear...

Gary, I can send you the 84 EVTM if you PM me your email.

Interesting. So you had the EEC with an output that went low above a given RPM, a vacuum switch that was closed above a given vacuum, and a transmission switch that was closed in all but top gear. That then presumably tied to the Shift indicator bulb, which was fed 12v when the key was on. Right?

Email address sent. Thanks!

Interesting. So you had the EEC with an output that went low above a given RPM, a vacuum switch that was closed above a given vacuum, and a transmission switch that was closed in all but top gear. That then presumably tied to the Shift indicator bulb, which was fed 12v when the key was on. Right?

Email address sent. Thanks!

That is my basic understanding of it. I just sent you the details.