Bullnose Forums

Bad water pump?

nilknarf007

Sorry, to be clear, I am supporting the idea that you have some kind of vacuum leak. Be it on a line, intake or carb Mount. Air is being sucked in somewhere that it shouldn’t be.

I have to admit, I thought all you guys were nuts. There was no way a vacuum leak could cause that kind of noise. But, I did the smoke test, and I had a small leak into the intake manifold from the brake booster, and major leaks from the intake.

I tightened everything up, or I should say I'm in the process of tightening everything up, and the noise has almost completely gone away. That aftermarket Clifford intake is a beast to get in the right place. Plus, the tabs are off just enough that in a few places, I've had to fashion bigger washers so that the bolts will grab the intake and exhaust. But the bottom line is:

You guys were right. Vacuum leak.

I feel so blessed to have such a great resource as this forum. You guys are the best.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to admit, I thought all you guys were nuts. There was no way a vacuum leak could cause that kind of noise. But, I did the smoke test, and I had a small leak into the intake manifold from the brake booster, and major leaks from the intake.

I tightened everything up, or I should say I'm in the process of tightening everything up, and the noise has almost completely gone away. That aftermarket Clifford intake is a beast to get in the right place. Plus, the tabs are off just enough that in a few places, I've had to fashion bigger washers so that the bolts will grab the intake and exhaust. But the bottom line is:

You guys were right. Vacuum leak.

I feel so blessed to have such a great resource as this forum. You guys are the best.

I'm glad you found it. Or maybe I should say "them", as you seem to have several leaks.

That smoke test is amazing. It finds even tiny leaks in really hard-to-get-to locations. Glad it worked for you.

:nabble_anim_claps:

Good to hear! Good work! :nabble_anim_claps:

Happy that you found the noise source. Is it completely gone? I ask because, listening at your video, behind the main loud "screaming", I think I also hear kind of weaker continuous "tee-tee-tee-tee". Do you have manual transmission?

I have this kind of "bird" in BigBrother, this comes from the clutch bearing. When clutch pedal is pressed, bird is gone, comes back when pedal released.

Happy that you found the noise source. Is it completely gone? I ask because, listening at your video, behind the main loud "screaming", I think I also hear kind of weaker continuous "tee-tee-tee-tee". Do you have manual transmission?

I have this kind of "bird" in BigBrother, this comes from the clutch bearing. When clutch pedal is pressed, bird is gone, comes back when pedal released.

Great news! This place is like the “Brain Trust”!

That would probably be a lifter. It goes away when it warms up. I just rebuilt the transmission about a month and a half ago, so all that clutch stuff is brand new.