Bullnose Forums

Bad water pump?

nilknarf007

Nilknarf,

Sorry about your trouble with the engine. Perhaps a video with audio might trigger a memory in someones head where they have seen this before? Is this right after reinstalling the engine/transmission? Are you sure its not in the rear? Sorry to ask that. I had a box of oversized sockets in my back seat in my truck, two were ringing off eachother like a bell. I thought it was a front wheel.. it can be deceiving. Good luck!

Will post a video tomorrow. I did a transmission rebuild about a month ago, but it has been running fine. I had someone crank the engine so I could see and hear what was going on. Definitely in the front of the engine. Transmission in neutral. I won't attempt to drive it with that noise. Definitely afraid to run it long enough to get it up to temperature.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Will post a video tomorrow. I did a transmission rebuild about a month ago, but it has been running fine. I had someone crank the engine so I could see and hear what was going on. Definitely in the front of the engine. Transmission in neutral. I won't attempt to drive it with that noise. Definitely afraid to run it long enough to get it up to temperature.

Here is a link to a video I shot that will give you an idea about the noise.

Wow.

So, an oil change is pretty cheap.. if you catch the oil in a clean pan it might show something. I have been known to dangle an old cpu magnet on a piece of fishing line in oil to look for ferrous materials.

Would you say it changes with rpm?

Do you know what your timing gear material is? Perhaps something has happened to the timing gears? Or the cam retainer plate? Im not positive, but you might be able to check all of that with the block in the truck by removing the timing cover.

Oil pressure? Do you have a mechanical gage? My buddy had been pestering me to install one for a long time and I kept putting it off, but about $50 at oriellys and you could have a full mechanical gage plumbed in for peace of mind

Wow.

So, an oil change is pretty cheap.. if you catch the oil in a clean pan it might show something. I have been known to dangle an old cpu magnet on a piece of fishing line in oil to look for ferrous materials.

Would you say it changes with rpm?

Do you know what your timing gear material is? Perhaps something has happened to the timing gears? Or the cam retainer plate? Im not positive, but you might be able to check all of that with the block in the truck by removing the timing cover.

Oil pressure? Do you have a mechanical gage? My buddy had been pestering me to install one for a long time and I kept putting it off, but about $50 at oriellys and you could have a full mechanical gage plumbed in for peace of mind

Have you tried rolling the engine over by hand with a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt head? Maybe you would feel something odd. Im not sure what sound (if any) it might make if the starter gear didnt pull back in.

Have you tried rolling the engine over by hand with a socket on the harmonic balancer bolt head? Maybe you would feel something odd. Im not sure what sound (if any) it might make if the starter gear didnt pull back in.

Haven't drained the oil. That will be the next thing I check. I just have a stock oil pressure gage, and it is showing good oil pressure. I don't really have any reason to think it wrong. I assume my timing gear is the fiber-composite gear and not the metal one because it's not an industrial engine. I guess it could have something to do with that.

Rolling the motor over by hand - I do feel something odd. It's not resistance really, but it is an odd feeling. And, I hear what could become a scream at 1000 rpm. It's not a squeak, but it definitely something out of the ordinary.

I haven't had any piston slap, but possibly mild rod knock? It always went away when it got close to operating temperature, so I probably have to adjust the rocker arms.

But this problem doesn't appear to have anything to do with that.

That may be caused by a vacuum leak. I've seen/heard that before on some engine.

Check your carb/manifold bolts, and check the manifold/engine bolts. Or, spray carb or brake cleaner around those spots with the engine running. When you find the leak the engine will speed up.

Another approach is the smoke test. That might actually be the best approach as it doesn't require the engine to be running, and if I'm wrong running the engine might damage something. Still, I think it is a vacuum leak.

That may be caused by a vacuum leak. I've seen/heard that before on some engine.

Check your carb/manifold bolts, and check the manifold/engine bolts. Or, spray carb or brake cleaner around those spots with the engine running. When you find the leak the engine will speed up.

Another approach is the smoke test. That might actually be the best approach as it doesn't require the engine to be running, and if I'm wrong running the engine might damage something. Still, I think it is a vacuum leak.

With the vacuum leak idea i would go ahead and set up a vac gauge so you can read vacuum as soon as you start it again. I know it may seem weird but you might spray silicone lube onto the front seal. Although as bad as that squeals i would think the seal is shot by now if that were it

With the vacuum leak idea i would go ahead and set up a vac gauge so you can read vacuum as soon as you start it again. I know it may seem weird but you might spray silicone lube onto the front seal. Although as bad as that squeals i would think the seal is shot by now if that were it

I listened again. Its a vacuum leak!!!! Check carb mounts. Then check the intake areas

I listened again. Its a vacuum leak!!!! Check carb mounts. Then check the intake areas

I had a leak on my 351w intake manifold and that was shrill.

I poured water over the intake gasket areas and the sound went away, as the water temporarily filled the leaky bits.

Here is how it sounded.

Pulled the intake, cleaned up, new felpro gaskets and all was well.

I had a leak on my 351w intake manifold and that was shrill.

I poured water over the intake gasket areas and the sound went away, as the water temporarily filled the leaky bits.

Here is how it sounded.

Pulled the intake, cleaned up, new felpro gaskets and all was well.

Sorry, to be clear, I am supporting the idea that you have some kind of vacuum leak. Be it on a line, intake or carb Mount. Air is being sucked in somewhere that it shouldn’t be.