Bullnose Forums

Bad water pump?

nilknarf007

I have a loud screaming noise coming from the front of the engine. No warning, just cranked it today and there it was. And it is loud. I took off the alternator belt - screaming still there. Took off the power steering pump belt - still there. The fan spins while the engine is off, so I don't think that's the problem.

Could it be the water pump? There is a drag on the engine, so it won't idle. Oil is clear, so is the coolant. I'm stumped.

I have the 300 i6, stock engine, with some upgrades to intake and ignition. Also, smog stuff has been deleted. Any help would be appreciated.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you still have a belt on the water pump when it squeals? If so, I'd take that off and see if the squeal goes away. It won't hurt to run the engine just long enough to test w/o a belt on the water pump.

If the squeal is there with the belt on and goes away with it off then it is the water pump.

Well it sounds like you are already starting to do this but remove all belts . Start the engine to check.

You can add one belt at a time til the issue comes back. That may not be needed if you find a stuck item before hand

Removed all the belts. Still Screaming. Guess it's worse than a water pump.

Yikes! It squeals with no belts? That doesn't bode well. Do you show oil pressure?

Check oil!!!

I had an odd thing once that was making me pull the belt off of a 5.0. I had plugged the pcv intake to test crank case pressure with an aftermkt intake manifold. The engine pulled 23” water column at idle but blew oil out the dipstick under load. I tracked the squeal down to the front crank seal so while squealing i opened the oil fill cap on a hunch. Squeal went away.

The point is that when we “improve “ things we sometimes defeat the manufaturers solutions to problems by doing so. Then mystery solving begins.

Yikes! It squeals with no belts? That doesn't bode well. Do you show oil pressure?

Good oil pressure. I'm just confused how something could go south that quick with no symptoms. Drove it all day yesterday, and as usual, never got the motor above 2500. It's not like I hot rod the thing.

Check oil!!!

I had an odd thing once that was making me pull the belt off of a 5.0. I had plugged the pcv intake to test crank case pressure with an aftermkt intake manifold. The engine pulled 23” water column at idle but blew oil out the dipstick under load. I tracked the squeal down to the front crank seal so while squealing i opened the oil fill cap on a hunch. Squeal went away.

The point is that when we “improve “ things we sometimes defeat the manufaturers solutions to problems by doing so. Then mystery solving begins.

The only thing I've done recently is replace the intake/exhaust gasket. Didn't touch anything else, and checked to see if I messed up anything with the PCV - nope, everything is just as it was before.

The only thing I've done recently is replace the intake/exhaust gasket. Didn't touch anything else, and checked to see if I messed up anything with the PCV - nope, everything is just as it was before.

Squeal, won't idle, replaced intake exhaust gasket.

Possible vacuum leak on intake side????? are the bolts tight? Could of loosened up during several heat cycles? Can of carb cleaner spray around intake while running. See if smoothes out idle.

Nilknarf,

Sorry about your trouble with the engine. Perhaps a video with audio might trigger a memory in someones head where they have seen this before? Is this right after reinstalling the engine/transmission? Are you sure its not in the rear? Sorry to ask that. I had a box of oversized sockets in my back seat in my truck, two were ringing off eachother like a bell. I thought it was a front wheel.. it can be deceiving. Good luck!