Bullnose Forums

Anti theft tailgate lock

The Pop&Lock one looks more promising since it's a wraparound... supposedly universal. Some reports of them not actually locking though... could be user error?

Larry, I confirmed that P&L doesn’t fit on our trucks… bought one, it’s a fail.

I studied the question from all sides and concluded that there is only one viable solution.

It’s a success, Big Brother’s tailgate is now secured.

Will post here the solution.

Stay tuned!

:nabble_smiley_evil:

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[…] you can remove the pass side drop slot pivot and replace if ( in situ) with a driver side full pivot. It is a bear to do but its a bear to steal also.

Matt, you’re right in.

You’re proposal appears to be the only working one for our trucks.

Considering that I almost never pull off my tailgate, I decided to go this way.

Here are some picts, for those who would try it on their side.

The goal is to replace the passenger “slut” pivot by a driver “round” one.

IMG_8126.jpeg.3b3887be58343c16681e3d3fa22f2716.jpeg

IMG_8139.jpeg.47aff5ad3379f092295ef0365f36eb4e.jpeg

IMG_8132.jpeg.53721fca9f354063e9d566d0a886a1c5.jpeg

Pay attention to get the right model. I first bought a wrong one at my local salvage yard.

Different dimensions and diameter.

I found the right one at LMC.

IMG_8136.jpeg.b6bc189c9040a5823014ff6aab2cbed7.jpeg

IMG_8134.jpeg.2b99858d781449179201ffd9c9d92760.jpeg

Pulling off the “slut” pivot was easy (with the right Torx bit).

You have to pull out the tail light assembly first, in order to access the hidden screw plate (which will drop).

IMG_8127.jpeg.b44bf559f699d812d93600a04189a0a8.jpeg

There are couple of holes in the body, and I found that the new “round” pivot (blue arrow) will not use the same than the “slut”one (red arrow).

The upper hole remains the same (green circle).

IMG_8128.jpeg.ed758b0c2efcea77a4cd10c3d24012ee.jpeg

Also, the new “round” pivot looked a bit loose in the tailgate (for my taste).

So I decided to make it a little tighter by applying a foam tape (one side sticky, leaving the exposed side with its plastic layer).

The good thing is that it is also maintaining the pivot in place while manipulating the tailgate.

IMG_8129.jpeg.eb53acaf32e57dbbf3a7f298011c0f0d.jpeg

IMG_8133.jpeg.a2c7dc4bc4e2b75f948fb6f9560f52cb.jpeg

Putting back the tailgate at its place is really tight, I had to make some paint touch up, although nothing serious.

Here is the final result.

IMG_8151.jpeg.1c239f3980597542f8f598d70df7886e.jpeg

IMG_8154.jpeg.f56935a6a6455fc396b120e85e787b2e.jpeg

IMG_8153.jpeg.48d38d12e86113b4e931eca2b650704e.jpeg

I was really proud about this anti-theft system, showing this “success” to my wife.

Who simply replied:

«So if I understand correctly, they can steal everything in the bed but, fortunately, your tailgate will be safe?

Nice…»

:nabble_smiley_whistling:

[…] you can remove the pass side drop slot pivot and replace if ( in situ) with a driver side full pivot. It is a bear to do but its a bear to steal also.

Matt, you’re right in.

Pay attention to get the right model. I first bought a wrong one at my local salvage yard.

You have to pull out the tail light assembly first, in order to access the hidden screw plate (which will drop).

There are couple of holes in the body, and I found that the new “round” pivot (blue arrow) will not use the same than the “slut”one (red arrow).

So I decided to make it a little tighter by applying a foam tape (one side sticky, leaving the exposed side with its plastic layer).

The good thing is that it is also maintaining the pivot in place while manipulating the tailgate.

Putting back the tailgate at its place is really tight, I had to make some paint touch up, although nothing serious.

I was really proud about this anti-theft system, showing this “success” to my wife.

Who simply replied:

«So if I understand correctly, they can steal everything in the bed but, fortunately, your tailgate will be safe?

Nice…»

Well done, Jeff. I was pretty sure that’s what you were going to do.

As for the stuff in the bed, that’s why I have the bed cover and alarm system. They can open the tailgate but the whole country will know.

Matt, you’re right in.

Who simply replied:

Nice…»

Nice! I like it!

"I was really proud about this anti-theft system, showing this “success” to my wife.

Who simply replied:

Nice…»"

Hahahaha! Yes, success, they didn't get my tailgate!

Nice! I like it!

"I was really proud about this anti-theft system, showing this “success” to my wife.

Who simply replied:

Nice…»"

Hahahaha! Yes, success, they didn't get my tailgate!

Thanks for the pics! I will certainly do the same on my truck as I don't want to lose my tailgate to a thief.