Bullnose Forums

Anti theft tailgate lock

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On a serious note. I have thought of getting one of these and painting it and store my original.

Looked at flow through tailgates and don’t like that idea when I’m not towing all the time.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/shi-575-71?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhITshNue9AIVnB-tBh3h2wbhEAQYAiABEgJsIPD_BwE

Edit: I just checked $124 to ship it! Ouch!

On a serious note. I have thought of getting one of these and painting it and store my original.

Looked at flow through tailgates and don’t like that idea when I’m not towing all the time.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/shi-575-71?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIhITshNue9AIVnB-tBh3h2wbhEAQYAiABEgJsIPD_BwE

Edit: I just checked $124 to ship it! Ouch!

OMG, Dane!!!

I just precise that here, shooting from any type of vehicle (even ATV) is completely ILLEGAL! So imagine my little person when I look at these guys, who are calmly talking about "hunting" with machine guns mounted on an "easy to operate" automatic tripod... it seems completely surreal! It sounds to me as a humoristic Hollywood Rambo parody :nabble_anim_crazy:

That said, I also tought about a "James Bond" similar approach, when his car simply explodes during an attempted theft. :nabble_smiley_evil:

Goodbye the thief, but unfortunately the car too...

Well, I would prefer a solution that enables to not keep the truck locked in my garage when going to the grocery with a "fake truck", so if I am stolen, it won't be the authentic one. :nabble_smiley_wink:

If a nice lock solution does not exist, there's money to make to create one... I'll think about that!

:nabble_thinking-26_orig:

OMG, Dane!!!I just precise that here, shooting from any type of vehicle (even ATV) is completely ILLEGAL! So imagine my little person when I look at these guys, who are calmly talking about "hunting" with machine guns mounted on an "easy to operate" automatic tripod... it seems completely surreal! It sounds to me as a humoristic Hollywood Rambo parody :nabble_anim_crazy:That said, I also tought about a "James Bond" similar approach, when his car simply explodes during an attempted theft. :nabble_smiley_evil:Goodbye the thief, but unfortunately the car too...Well, I would prefer a solution that enables to not keep the truck locked in my garage when going to the grocery with a "fake truck", so if I am stolen, it won't be the authentic one. :nabble_smiley_wink:If a nice lock solution does not exist, there's money to make to create one... I'll think about that!:nabble_thinking-26_orig:
There are two accepted ways of "securing" the tailgate:

• A hose around the right pivot/hinge will at least slow the thief down.

• A lock, like this McGard or this Pop & Lock. But Amazon says the McGard doesn't fit our trucks and doesn't say about the P&L, so you'd need to do some research.

This video discusses the two:

But Amazon says the McGard doesn't fit our trucks and doesn't say about the P&L, so you'd need to do some research.

Funny... I was about to say "I bet the McGard does fit" but looking closer, sure enough, my 1995 Ranger isn't listed on the package either (which uses the same tailgate hinge size). Looking at how it's designed, I think it's a more than a size issue... probably geometry; since it's a hook the lock probably can be spun to a position that allows removal that on other makes isn't an issue?

The Pop&Lock one looks more promising since it's a wraparound... supposedly universal. Some reports of them not actually locking though... could be user error?

There are two accepted ways of "securing" the tailgate:

• A hose around the right pivot/hinge will at least slow the thief down.

• A lock, like this McGard or this Pop & Lock. But Amazon says the McGard doesn't fit our trucks and doesn't say about the P&L, so you'd need to do some research.

This video discusses the two:

I like the hose clamp idea. Better than what I have now!Edit: Went and looked today. The lock and hose clamp won’t work on ours. Guess a handle lock would keep anyone from opening it.

I like the hose clamp idea. Better than what I have now!

Edit: Went and looked today. The lock and hose clamp won’t work on ours. Guess a handle lock would keep anyone from opening it.

Well i will say gentlemen that if you are confident in trying it. It is a bit fiddly. And i normally am working with fresh paint , but you can remove the pass side drop slot pivot and replace if ( in situ) with a driver side full pivot. It is a bear to do but its a bear to steal also

Well i will say gentlemen that if you are confident in trying it. It is a bit fiddly. And i normally am working with fresh paint , but you can remove the pass side drop slot pivot and replace if ( in situ) with a driver side full pivot. It is a bear to do but its a bear to steal also

Interesting! Hadn’t thought of that. May try it. Thanks.

That’s cool! Hadn’t thought of that.