Bullnose Forums

New member intro

Sparky

Hey all, I just recently bought a "project truck" after looking for several weeks and missing out on some good ones because I was not the first to contact them. I discovered that old trucks are very popular right now and they go fast if they are priced right. I didn't really know what I wanted but I knew what body styles looked good to me and I realized it needed to be 1980s at the latest. I saw a 1986 F-150 2wd for sale nearby with a rust-free body and recently rebuilt 302 with auto and AC so I jumped on it. I later learned that it is an XLT Lariat "bullnose" with an AOD and a 3.55 rear and there is a whole community dedicated to fixing and preserving them. Pretty cool. It has a solid foundation but it needs lots of work. When I got it the main issues were that it ran rough and idled high, it shifted hard, spongy brakes (brake light on dash is on), the tank selector switch didn't seem to work and I didn't know which tank it was drawing from, the fuel gauge didn't work, the turn signals didn't work, and the interior is decent but needs a good cleaning (not to mention a new headliner). So far I have solved the dual tank issue and non-working fuel gauge (bad selector switch) and the hard shifting (adjusted the throttle valve cable). I am currently working on the rough running/high idle. I will post a question about that when I am authorized to do so.

I just wanted to say thanks to Gary and other members for an awesome resource for these bullnose trucks. I have been lurking for a while and have already learned a lot. I'm a do-it-yourselfer and a "fixer" but I have limited experience working on vehicles. I'm sure I will learn a lot more in the future from this forum. Pics of my new buddy below.

20211022_1710201.jpg.bc8d2d4bee0f87d794e360960c74d5b6.jpg

20211022_1711021.jpg.6532a2288b14346330264443e65db0cc.jpg

20211022_1712001.jpg.de5df84b1396e5ede30aa23fcc3b82ed.jpg

20211022_1708461.jpg.a6b8f4ad5c838058d7ff83de09ede21a.jpg

Welcome! Glad you joined. :nabble_anim_handshake:

Nice looking truck. And a 302/AOD combo should be a great driver, getting reasonable MPG for these trucks.

And it seems like your DIY skills are very good, as adjusting the AOD isn't the most obvious thing to do. :nabble_anim_claps:

So, where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you if we knew your city and state or zip.

As for "Sparky", have you done a few "vacation" films? Or, more likely, served as a radioman in the navy?

Nice looking truck. And a 302/AOD combo should be a great driver, getting reasonable MPG for these trucks.

And it seems like your DIY skills are very good, as adjusting the AOD isn't the most obvious thing to do. :nabble_anim_claps:

So, where's home? I ask because we have a map (Bullnose Forum/Member's Map in the menu) and we can add you if we knew your city and state or zip.

As for "Sparky", have you done a few "vacation" films? Or, more likely, served as a radioman in the navy?

I swear i had that exact truck ten years ago. Not sure where you are but mid ten would sure be a funny coincedence

I'm not sure how to reply on this forum to a specific person so we'll see how this goes. Can I use the @ sign to tag someone?

@Gary , I saw a couple of different methods of adjusting the TV cable. I used the simple one of just making sure there was no tension or slack on the cable. It made a big improvement.

Home is Clarksburg, Maryland 20871.

Nope, no movies. My looks are better suited to radio. :nabble_smiley_happy: Actually, I've been an electrician going on 28 years now. I used to own my own electrical contracting business (mostly commercial work) but after 19 years of it I was ready to get out. It can be a nasty and stressful business at times. I work for a county government now. Less money but much better. That said, vehicle wiring is a totally different animal and I am working to get up to speed on it. I didn't know what username to use so I figured Sparky would work.

I swear i had that exact truck ten years ago. Not sure where you are but mid ten would sure be a funny coincedence

I believe I'm the third owner and as far as I know it's always been a Maryland truck. 2nd owner bought it from his neighbor who was the first owner.

I'm not sure how to reply on this forum to a specific person so we'll see how this goes. Can I use the @ sign to tag someone?

@Gary , I saw a couple of different methods of adjusting the TV cable. I used the simple one of just making sure there was no tension or slack on the cable. It made a big improvement.

Home is Clarksburg, Maryland 20871.

Nope, no movies. My looks are better suited to radio. :nabble_smiley_happy: Actually, I've been an electrician going on 28 years now. I used to own my own electrical contracting business (mostly commercial work) but after 19 years of it I was ready to get out. It can be a nasty and stressful business at times. I work for a county government now. Less money but much better. That said, vehicle wiring is a totally different animal and I am working to get up to speed on it. I didn't know what username to use so I figured Sparky would work.

Just reply, we'll see it.

And you are now on the map.

Electrician, hmmm. I know several of those. In fact, Steve/Foxford33 is one of those as well. Good friend of mine.

Anyway, Sparky works. :nabble_smiley_good: