Bullnose Forums

Aftermarket steering columns?

FL86BRONCO

Hello again. I've been chipping away at getting this bronco in better shape than the butcher's had it in when I bought it. My next challenge is going to be the steering column/ignition switch. So right now the lock cylinder has been taken out and they wired a push button box that I'd like to get rid of, bring it back to stock. Since the lock cylinder has been taken out I don't get power to anything that is switched power. the steering column is a tilt column, the turn signal switch feels broken/doesn't work either. Should I try to find an aftermarket solution? Should I rebuild this whole thing? Or just find a decent one from a salvage yard? As always thanks for you guys help, it's very nice to be able to communicate with people who have been tinkering with these things that are willing to share the knowledge they've accrued.

Can you show us some pics of the column? What I'm trying to ascertain is if the column itself is broken. If not, I'd repair it.

As far as I'm aware there isn't anything available aftermarket. So you are really going to need to fix yours or find another. And either tilt or fixed will work. I like the fixed column as there's a part in the tilt columns that breaks if you use the steering wheel to hoist yourself into the truck, which I do all the time. And that may be why the PO butchered your column as when the part breaks you can't start the vehicle, or can't start it reliably.

The part itself is readily available, so repairing the column isn't that hard if the column's housing isn't broken.

Can you show us some pics of the column? What I'm trying to ascertain is if the column itself is broken. If not, I'd repair it.

As far as I'm aware there isn't anything available aftermarket. So you are really going to need to fix yours or find another. And either tilt or fixed will work. I like the fixed column as there's a part in the tilt columns that breaks if you use the steering wheel to hoist yourself into the truck, which I do all the time. And that may be why the PO butchered your column as when the part breaks you can't start the vehicle, or can't start it reliably.

The part itself is readily available, so repairing the column isn't that hard if the column's housing isn't broken.

There are aftermarket custom columns, hot rodders use them in custom builds. Problem is they are essentially a GM column, meaning nothing as far as keys, wiring etc. matches Ford parts.

I'm on the road the next two days but I'll get the pictures for you guys, it definitely was a lot of vertical movement in the column. How far apart does it need to be for you to know from the pictures.

Vertical movement in the column itself? Or in the steering wheel? Maybe take a short video to show us what is going on?

Maybe you can measure the play and someone else can tell us if that is normal. But from my memory Big Blue's only moved 1/4" or so there.

Hello . The tilt column is definitely rebuildable. I have done a few. Yes the tilt column has a couple weak links one being the ignition switch interconnect link. Its made from a cast alloy , probably zinc. If they break you can get a no start situation. The other is the roller bearings. Either way when you disassemble the column and reassemble it there is a sequence that i can do but not sure i could describe unless i was doing one. It may be best if one could be found at a salvage yard. I passed on two found last month.

Hello . The tilt column is definitely rebuildable. I have done a few. Yes the tilt column has a couple weak links one being the ignition switch interconnect link. Its made from a cast alloy , probably zinc. If they break you can get a no start situation. The other is the roller bearings. Either way when you disassemble the column and reassemble it there is a sequence that i can do but not sure i could describe unless i was doing one. It may be best if one could be found at a salvage yard. I passed on two found last month.

I seem to remember a project thread where someone drilled out the pivots in the tilt column and used different bolts to take that vertical slop out.

Was is Weberman?

I seem to remember a project thread where someone drilled out the pivots in the tilt column and used different bolts to take that vertical slop out.

Was is Weberman?

It was firefire and the fixing Eddie project!

I can’t copy the link on my iPad for some reason, but t isn’t on page 7 and the post is dated:

Jun 16, 2021; 2:06pm