Bullnose Forums

The gender of the machine

When I visited my relatives in Sweden back in the '80s I learned the most "basic" Swedish for the trip: Forlat, jag talar inte Svenska (I apologize, I speak no Swedish).

They told me that wasn't a problem. Swedish was a completely useless language. Traveling anywhere in Europe required knowing two languages: English because everyone spoke that, and French, because they wouldn't admit that they spoke English!

There's a lot of truth in that. We've traveled all over Europe and were able to communicate well enough to get by with our English, although since I was in Germany quite a bit I learned a teeny bit of that. And the only person that wouldn't try to communicate with us in English was a young lady in Paris. All of the other Parisians and everyone in the south and in Normandy gladly used English. But the young lady in Paris would NOT and was emphatic she would not. Made me think she knew English but wanted us to know French.

here in tn there is plenty of butchering of the english language as well. i myself skip the cap on my typing but i find typing a distraction bad enough. i think 9 times faster than i type. however.... gender... my truck is bubba. although its not my doing. my first wife loved the truck when we found it. two days later she adopted my ''sports car''. saying that she was not going to drive that bubba truck. so as a smart a.. response its now ( 30 years and counting) called bubba. not all cars get names though. their personality must appear first. my kids sometimes name the cars. if i can deal with it, it sticks.if i figure out how to post pics i will

My truck was named Darth Vader by my son and a group of his friends as the original grille guard, Lund visor and predominately black paint resembled Darth Vader (they were 16-17 at the time). He has remained Darth ever since.

This topic was brought up some time ago and I find it interesting. Kind'a crazy, I know, but all my vehicles have names and gender:

69 Mustang Mach 1 - Female, name is "Queenie"

86 Ford F150 - Male, name is Blackie.....kids named it. Started out as "The Black", and later became "Blackie"

2014 Ford Focus ST - Male, name is "Lil Buddy", sometimes referred to as "Catfish".

This topic was brought up some time ago and I find it interesting. Kind'a crazy, I know, but all my vehicles have names and gender:

69 Mustang Mach 1 - Female, name is "Queenie"

86 Ford F150 - Male, name is Blackie.....kids named it. Started out as "The Black", and later became "Blackie"

2014 Ford Focus ST - Male, name is "Lil Buddy", sometimes referred to as "Catfish".

one of my trucks is definitely female. i decide to try my hand at fake patina. so i bought a 93 flareside wreck cheap. replaced all of the bad front end and a door with parts on hand, painted the truck and left all blemishes that were solid . not looking for a perfect prep just no real rust or loose paint. then painted my patina colors all over it . then i spent the next few days wet sanding it to wher i felt it was just right. then i clear coated the entire truck. some wood bedside rails and she looks weathered. years later since the roof and hood have faded it just looks better. anyway, while sanding myself silly i thought of a dolly parton interview where she claimed something like '' it takes a lot of effort to look this cheap ''. so there you have it . we now have ''dolly' in the family too.

one of my trucks is definitely female. i decide to try my hand at fake patina. so i bought a 93 flareside wreck cheap. replaced all of the bad front end and a door with parts on hand, painted the truck and left all blemishes that were solid . not looking for a perfect prep just no real rust or loose paint. then painted my patina colors all over it . then i spent the next few days wet sanding it to wher i felt it was just right. then i clear coated the entire truck. some wood bedside rails and she looks weathered. years later since the roof and hood have faded it just looks better. anyway, while sanding myself silly i thought of a dolly parton interview where she claimed something like '' it takes a lot of effort to look this cheap ''. so there you have it . we now have ''dolly' in the family too.

After all these efforts to make "her" look that way, you found the perfect name, for sure!

:nabble_anim_claps: