Bullnose Forums

Big Blue's Next Outing - Ouachita Mountains

But the bottom line is do what you enjoy and don't get too bent out of shape over what it's called.

Amen!

To me, overlanding includes going somewhere and camping while doing it. Taking the Jeep roads around Ouray is 'wheeling. But taking a trail, like the Ouachita trail, and spending the night on the trail is overlanding. Doesn't have to be for very many days or nights.

That's my daffynition and I'm sticking to it. That's 'cause if I ever get my son to go "overlanding" with me it'll only be for a few days before he has to get back to his work. And I want to "overland". :nabble_smiley_wink:

But I don't know what taking a trail and stopping at a motel or B&B is. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

But the bottom line is do what you enjoy and don't get too bent out of shape over what it's called.

Amen!

To me, overlanding includes going somewhere and camping while doing it. Taking the Jeep roads around Ouray is 'wheeling. But taking a trail, like the Ouachita trail, and spending the night on the trail is overlanding. Doesn't have to be for very many days or nights.

That's my daffynition and I'm sticking to it. That's 'cause if I ever get my son to go "overlanding" with me it'll only be for a few days before he has to get back to his work. And I want to "overland". :nabble_smiley_wink:

But I don't know what taking a trail and stopping at a motel or B&B is. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

What kind of fuel mileage did Big Blue get on your last venture? Seems I recall you saying 3-4 mpg's. You take fuel cans with you? On that bumper you're building, might consider adding a spot for a metal fuel can??? Ohhhhh no, a redesign in plans........:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

What kind of fuel mileage did Big Blue get on your last venture? Seems I recall you saying 3-4 mpg's. You take fuel cans with you? On that bumper you're building, might consider adding a spot for a metal fuel can??? Ohhhhh no, a redesign in plans........:nabble_head-rotfl-57x22_orig:

We got ~4 MPG on the trail and 11 on the highway.

Part of the 4 was due to airing down as that causes a LOT of friction. In fact, the truck doesn't really want to roll at 15 psi in the tires. And part of it was due to the serious climbing we were doing in low range and low gears. Plus, there was the altitude of from 7,000 to 13,000 feet that enriched the mix and reduced power.

We might not air down to 15 psi in Arkansas. We will have to see how rough the trail is to determine that. And if we don't that'll help the MPG some. Plus, I'm thinking we can do most of the trip in 4Hi, which will keep the R's down, and that'll help as well. And, the altitude will be a max of 3,000'.

So, let's assume 6 MPG. At 38 gallons that would be 228 miles. But even if we only got 4 MPG we could make 152 miles, so that would be enough for the big day. However, I may well take a 5 gallon gas can along just for insurance.

But that can will fit very nicely in the bed with the cover closed, so no need for redesigning the bumper that is, yet again, well and truly stalled. :nabble_anim_blbl:

We got ~4 MPG on the trail and 11 on the highway.

Part of the 4 was due to airing down as that causes a LOT of friction. In fact, the truck doesn't really want to roll at 15 psi in the tires. And part of it was due to the serious climbing we were doing in low range and low gears. Plus, there was the altitude of from 7,000 to 13,000 feet that enriched the mix and reduced power.

We might not air down to 15 psi in Arkansas. We will have to see how rough the trail is to determine that. And if we don't that'll help the MPG some. Plus, I'm thinking we can do most of the trip in 4Hi, which will keep the R's down, and that'll help as well. And, the altitude will be a max of 3,000'.

So, let's assume 6 MPG. At 38 gallons that would be 228 miles. But even if we only got 4 MPG we could make 152 miles, so that would be enough for the big day. However, I may well take a 5 gallon gas can along just for insurance.

But that can will fit very nicely in the bed with the cover closed, so no need for redesigning the bumper that is, yet again, well and truly stalled. :nabble_anim_blbl:

Ohhhhh come on Gary, I can see one of those military style fuel tanks on the back of your truck....that would look sooooo cool and you'd possibly be the starter for generations of Bullnose Trucks. People would love it and you could sell it here. That and my behind the seat organizer....LOL! Besides, you need another project to keep you from working on Dad's Truck, the Super Bee, and the........... :nabble_smiley_grin:

Ohhhhh come on Gary, I can see one of those military style fuel tanks on the back of your truck....that would look sooooo cool and you'd possibly be the starter for generations of Bullnose Trucks. People would love it and you could sell it here. That and my behind the seat organizer....LOL! Besides, you need another project to keep you from working on Dad's Truck, the Super Bee, and the........... :nabble_smiley_grin:

You've done quite preaching and started meddling! :nabble_smiley_evil:

Speaking of which, it is time to get ready for church. Later, gator.

.... But I don't know what taking a trail and stopping at a motel or B&B is. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Trail riding? Exploring? Or you can still call it 'wheeling.

Early on I did 3 'wheeling/trail riding/exploring trips where we carried everything with us all the time and stayed where we were at the end of the day. The first two were great, but the third, with a wife and a 2 year old, not quite so much (although the one night we stayed at a nice resort, last minute, saved that trip, which isn't a bad story either). The next trip we took we tent-camped at a campground and just went out 'wheeling/trail riding/exploring from there. Trip after that was a camper in the back of the pickup at a campground as base camp, and a few years back we moved up to a motorhome. But our constant for over 25 years has been a campground base and day trips out from there.

So you won't get any complaints from me if you stay at nice places between days exploring a different kind of nice places.

.... But I don't know what taking a trail and stopping at a motel or B&B is. :nabble_thinking-26_orig:

Trail riding? Exploring? Or you can still call it 'wheeling.

Early on I did 3 'wheeling/trail riding/exploring trips where we carried everything with us all the time and stayed where we were at the end of the day. The first two were great, but the third, with a wife and a 2 year old, not quite so much (although the one night we stayed at a nice resort, last minute, saved that trip, which isn't a bad story either). The next trip we took we tent-camped at a campground and just went out 'wheeling/trail riding/exploring from there. Trip after that was a camper in the back of the pickup at a campground as base camp, and a few years back we moved up to a motorhome. But our constant for over 25 years has been a campground base and day trips out from there.

So you won't get any complaints from me if you stay at nice places between days exploring a different kind of nice places.

My Facebook friend and author, Susan Dragoo, recommended a B&B in Mena, so we'll stay there if it is available. And Hot Springs Village appears to have some nice places. So I can't say we'll even be "glamping", much less camping.

But, we've done some of that. Camped out of our boat on Lake Powell with the kids. Had a slide-in camper on our '72 F250 and made it to California, Wyoming, and lots of places in between. And on several of those trips we pulled a trailer with our bikes on it. One time we had the 750 K2 and rode all over Arizona. Another time we had my XL350 and her Trail 90 and rode all over CO around Buena Vista.

However we've not done tent camping. The closest we came was on Powell when we set up a tent on shore. But we slept on the boat and really just used the tent to house the stuff we didn't want to take with us each day as we explored. And, to mark out campsite.

But we called all of that "camping", probably because there was meal planning, food cooking, and dish washing involved. But what we are doing today only has us planning meals to the extent that we might have to pack a lunch. :nabble_smiley_wink:

My Facebook friend and author, Susan Dragoo, recommended a B&B in Mena, so we'll stay there if it is available. And Hot Springs Village appears to have some nice places. So I can't say we'll even be "glamping", much less camping.

But, we've done some of that. Camped out of our boat on Lake Powell with the kids. Had a slide-in camper on our '72 F250 and made it to California, Wyoming, and lots of places in between. And on several of those trips we pulled a trailer with our bikes on it. One time we had the 750 K2 and rode all over Arizona. Another time we had my XL350 and her Trail 90 and rode all over CO around Buena Vista.

However we've not done tent camping. The closest we came was on Powell when we set up a tent on shore. But we slept on the boat and really just used the tent to house the stuff we didn't want to take with us each day as we explored. And, to mark out campsite.

But we called all of that "camping", probably because there was meal planning, food cooking, and dish washing involved. But what we are doing today only has us planning meals to the extent that we might have to pack a lunch. :nabble_smiley_wink:

I reject the term "glamping" for what we do. Yes, we're in a motorhome and have a nice bed, our own bathroom, a furnace and AC. But we don't live in the motorhome, we live out of it. Contrast that with some friends that have a fifth wheel with a gas fireplace, a TV bigger than the one in out house and a couple of big squashy recliners. They go somewhere and really never plan to get out of the camper. They call that "glamping" which seems fitting. But that's not us.

I reject the term "glamping" for what we do. Yes, we're in a motorhome and have a nice bed, our own bathroom, a furnace and AC. But we don't live in the motorhome, we live out of it. Contrast that with some friends that have a fifth wheel with a gas fireplace, a TV bigger than the one in out house and a couple of big squashy recliners. They go somewhere and really never plan to get out of the camper. They call that "glamping" which seems fitting. But that's not us.

Why go if you don't get out? You might as well just watch it on TV.

Our slide-in was 9 1/2' long and had a toilet, shower, hot water, and furnace. No A/C but we rarely went anywhere in the summer, instead waiting until after school started and it cooled off. But the plan wasn't to sit in the camper and read books. It was to experience wherever we were.