Bullnose Forums

Ignition Troubleshooting

I replaced the front fuel bowl gasket tonight and took her for a spin. Sure enough, the rear bowl float level was the problem after all. There were a few hesitations as I got it up to 45mph+, but they didn't last and I assume it was her working out the cobwebs after sitting for over two months waiting on me to figure this out. All it took was for me to order a new carb in order to figure it out lol. So I'm quite happy, and a little embarrassed that it took 4 pages of me bothering yall for months, but thanks for all the help!

I'm glad you got it resolved! That's great.

One of the problems with the Holley carbs is that the secondary bowls are completely separate from the primaries. Most Holley's don't use the secondaries for idling, so unless you open them under power every once in a while the gas can get old. And ethanol-laced gas gets old FAST.

So I'd encourage "spirited driving" every once in a while. :nabble_smiley_evil:

One of the problems with the Holley carbs is that the secondary bowls are completely separate from the primaries. Most Holley's don't use the secondaries for idling, so unless you open them under power every once in a while the gas can get old. And ethanol-laced gas gets old FAST.

Gary, many Holleys, particularly the older designs, have secondary idle circuits, mostly fixed. This is why there is an adjustment on the throttle body to set a small gap. This also keeps the throttle plates from sticking shut. Some emission models had sealed adjustment screws in the throttle body to set the mixture.

Even the Chrysler versions had secondary idle circuits and the heat warping of the metering body opened them to the main part of the float bowl causing rich idle and horrible hot start issues. You could pull the air cleaner off and watch the gas running across the secondary throttle plates.

Gary, many Holleys, particularly the older designs, have secondary idle circuits, mostly fixed. This is why there is an adjustment on the throttle body to set a small gap. This also keeps the throttle plates from sticking shut. Some emission models had sealed adjustment screws in the throttle body to set the mixture.

Even the Chrysler versions had secondary idle circuits and the heat warping of the metering body opened them to the main part of the float bowl causing rich idle and horrible hot start issues. You could pull the air cleaner off and watch the gas running across the secondary throttle plates.

Bill - I wasn't aware that they actually had idle circuits. My bad.

But I was aware of the warping problem. Been there, had that done to me, big time.

Interesting you bring that up, Gary. I drove it again this morning and it still isn't running quite right. It is slightly struggling at the start of each gear, with a pronounced chugga-lugga sound, but gets better the more I gas it. It is also having some intermittent hesitation in 3rd and 4th gear. I assumed giving it more gas kicked in the rear bowl and other two barrels and that what's off must be something on the front end. I was thinking of replacing the fuel filter again. That's the thing that started all of my fuel system woes last year when it was choking at higher, prolonged speeds.

Interesting you bring that up, Gary. I drove it again this morning and it still isn't running quite right. It is slightly struggling at the start of each gear, with a pronounced chugga-lugga sound, but gets better the more I gas it. It is also having some intermittent hesitation in 3rd and 4th gear. I assumed giving it more gas kicked in the rear bowl and other two barrels and that what's off must be something on the front end. I was thinking of replacing the fuel filter again. That's the thing that started all of my fuel system woes last year when it was choking at higher, prolonged speeds.

Hopefully you've read that I was wrong about the secondaries. But the issue you describe could well be just with the primaries. Have you adjusted the idle air/fuel mix? It might be off.

Hopefully you've read that I was wrong about the secondaries. But the issue you describe could well be just with the primaries. Have you adjusted the idle air/fuel mix? It might be off.

I'm agreeing that the fuel is off somewhere. This is where the vacuum gauge helps. Doesn't cure it, but can help diagnose. Mine was like $14.99 at harbor freight and is paying for itself with the education it is providing about adjustments.

I'm agreeing that the fuel is off somewhere. This is where the vacuum gauge helps. Doesn't cure it, but can help diagnose. Mine was like $14.99 at harbor freight and is paying for itself with the education it is providing about adjustments.

Yeah, getting a vacuum gauge sounds worthwhile. Are there other applications for it besides the fuel system?

Thankfully, this latest hiccup was another easy fix. I went out and checked the front fuel bowl level again and somehow it was lower than it was yesterday when I checked it. Not sure how, maybe driving it around for the first time in a while got things moving again. It's running good now, so hopefully everything stays like it is for a while!

Yeah, getting a vacuum gauge sounds worthwhile. Are there other applications for it besides the fuel system?

Thankfully, this latest hiccup was another easy fix. I went out and checked the front fuel bowl level again and somehow it was lower than it was yesterday when I checked it. Not sure how, maybe driving it around for the first time in a while got things moving again. It's running good now, so hopefully everything stays like it is for a while!

Besides the carb tuning, there are numerous things on Google about setting ignition timing with the vacuum gauge. See this: https://www.motor.com/magazine-summary/mastering-the-basics-reading-a-vacuum-gauge/

Right now I have mine plugged in to a manifold source and run up to the windshield. I have it hooked under the passenger wiper blade and can read what the vacuum is doing while I'm driving it around testing. Will show you what throttle application is sucking the most gas and where it is at various RPM.

If I were into adding extra gauges, a vacuum gauge would be near the top. I think the instructions also say it can be used to read fuel pressure, which doesn't seem to be a problem on my stock engine with 2 barrel.