Bullnose Forums

Ignition Troubleshooting

Hijack away, maybe I'll learn something. Also, I'd like to learn how to use one of those testing meters you tested your repaired coil with. That seems like it would be a worthwhile test to run on mine once i pull it out.

Here’s a how to I googled and found, many more out there.

A multimeter is a very good tool to have. The one in the post is fairly inexpensive from Harbor Freight. I recently fixed up an old favorite Craftsman that I’ve had for years. I also keep a cheap analog (needle that swings) around. Sometimes when I’m just looking for voltage or continuity and all I need to see is movement, I like them.

https://learn.sparkfun.com/tutorials/how-to-use-a-multimeter/all

A multimeter is a very good tool to have. The one in the post is fairly inexpensive from Harbor Freight. I recently fixed up an old favorite Craftsman that I’ve had for years. I also keep a cheap analog (needle that swings) around. Sometimes when I’m just looking for voltage or continuity and all I need to see is movement, I like them.

Great, I'll be picking one up thanks. Another question, how do I remove the black ninja star looking thing from the distributor shaft?

Sparkfun is a great outfit, so I'm sure their how-to is a good one.

And I agree that a cheap DVM is plenty. But a meter with a needle sure would be handy!

Great, I'll be picking one up thanks. Another question, how do I remove the black ninja star looking thing from the distributor shaft?

You pry up on it gently. It is held with a roll pin in a slot that provides pressure, and sometimes the shaft can get rusty, so a bit of oil can help. But only a bit. And did I say GENTLY?

You pry up on it gently. It is held with a roll pin in a slot that provides pressure, and sometimes the shaft can get rusty, so a bit of oil can help. But only a bit. And did I say GENTLY?

I'm not sure that I can get anything down in there to apply leverage to pry. How would you go at it?

I'm not sure that I can get anything down in there to apply leverage to pry. How would you go at it?

I've done it with small screwdrivers, just prying in one place a bit then in another place and walking it up, slowly.

But the best thing I've used is a small 2-jaw gear puller. Put a piece of metal across the top of the shaft to press against and bring it up slowly. And if you don't have one you may be able to "rent" one from your local parts store. They usually charge you the price of the tool and then give it back when you return it.

I've done it with small screwdrivers, just prying in one place a bit then in another place and walking it up, slowly.

But the best thing I've used is a small 2-jaw gear puller. Put a piece of metal across the top of the shaft to press against and bring it up slowly. And if you don't have one you may be able to "rent" one from your local parts store. They usually charge you the price of the tool and then give it back when you return it.

That sounds perfect. Heading to harbor freight. Tonight's grocery list: 1) multimeter 2) 2 jaw puller. Let me know if I'm forgetting eggs & milk or anything else.

That sounds perfect. Heading to harbor freight. Tonight's grocery list: 1) multimeter 2) 2 jaw puller. Let me know if I'm forgetting eggs & milk or anything else.

LOL! Looks like my kind of shopping.

You could consider a 3-jaw puller, but they are usually larger and you want something pretty small. Most pullers allow you to turn the jaws around for inside or outside work, and some of them have two or more slots on the arm to install the jaw, allowing you to make it larger or smaller.

LOL! Looks like my kind of shopping.

You could consider a 3-jaw puller, but they are usually larger and you want something pretty small. Most pullers allow you to turn the jaws around for inside or outside work, and some of them have two or more slots on the arm to install the jaw, allowing you to make it larger or smaller.

I used a 3 jaw puller. Sometimes though I could get it off by hand.