Bullnose Forums

oil pressure sender keeps failing

mat in tn

Corey - That's good to know. I'm sure that Ford intended the gauge to read right in the middle at 195F as that's the temp 'stat that all of the vehicles had. So that makes sense.

I find the Bullnose gauges work quite well when everything is operating as it should. My temp and oil pressure gauges would show fairly small fluctuations. People often say that they're just "dumb" gauges and not very accurate, but my opinion and experience is the opposite.

I don't think it hurts to go a bit overboard...even a bit OCD, when it comes to proper grounding in these trucks.

Oh, I forgot to comment on the grounds. And I agree - there's no such thing as too many grounds. And Ford apparently figured out during the 80's that they didn't have enough of them, so the Bricknose and later trucks have progressively more and more grounds.

Did you see the diagram of the grounds I installed on Big Blue?

Oh, I forgot to comment on the grounds. And I agree - there's no such thing as too many grounds. And Ford apparently figured out during the 80's that they didn't have enough of them, so the Bricknose and later trucks have progressively more and more grounds.

Did you see the diagram of the grounds I installed on Big Blue?

when in doubt add a ground. making sure that main grounds are proper and clean. i generally have one frame off job going at any given time. one thing to be ocd about is grounds especially on newly restored / painted parts. paint is a much better insulator than conductor. i paint everything. therefore i use thread cutting screws and paint cutting washers often .

my first thing checked was looking for grounds. thats why i added one directly from the icvr ground to the firewall. and it did change the temp sender .

it really seems as if the oil pressure senders are acting like fuses. im looking for what could cause such a thing. over current is where my mind is .

when in doubt add a ground. making sure that main grounds are proper and clean. i generally have one frame off job going at any given time. one thing to be ocd about is grounds especially on newly restored / painted parts. paint is a much better insulator than conductor. i paint everything. therefore i use thread cutting screws and paint cutting washers often .

my first thing checked was looking for grounds. thats why i added one directly from the icvr ground to the firewall. and it did change the temp sender .

it really seems as if the oil pressure senders are acting like fuses. im looking for what could cause such a thing. over current is where my mind is .

oh yeah one more thing. this is where i fall on my own sword. this is the very first time i have ever participated in anything like this. i am as lost as last years easter egg with a computer. i dont know where anything is. how to post photos. etc. there are NO photos on my laptop. im still looking for the damn exclamation point..... im a carburator man ...

Have you tested the senders after then quit? You can put air pressure to them and see if they are open at some point.

And I agree with you on grounds. I paint or powder coat everything, and that messes up the factory grounds in a big way. But the factory grounds weren't really enough, so I added my own. Serious overkill.

Have you tested the senders after then quit? You can put air pressure to them and see if they are open at some point.

And I agree with you on grounds. I paint or powder coat everything, and that messes up the factory grounds in a big way. But the factory grounds weren't really enough, so I added my own. Serious overkill.

yes after each fail i verified by connecting ohm meter and applying air pressure. i even did that with new before installing the last one to prove the test viable. that sender lasted one ''warm up ''of the engine at best as it did not work after that. im convinced that something is taking it out but im running out of theories. i do have a 93 alt and alt harness conversion if that gives any light.

yes after each fail i verified by connecting ohm meter and applying air pressure. i even did that with new before installing the last one to prove the test viable. that sender lasted one ''warm up ''of the engine at best as it did not work after that. im convinced that something is taking it out but im running out of theories. i do have a 93 alt and alt harness conversion if that gives any light.

Does the gauge work properly and show the right pressure for the time the sender works? If so, then you aren't pulling too much current as the gauge is in series with the sender - the same current goes through each.

And, the same resistance wire serves the oil pressure, water temp, and fuel level, so if the latter are working correctly then the resistance wire is probably in the circuit.

Are you buying the same brand sender from the same place? Maybe they got a batch of bad ones?

Does the gauge work properly and show the right pressure for the time the sender works? If so, then you aren't pulling too much current as the gauge is in series with the sender - the same current goes through each.

And, the same resistance wire serves the oil pressure, water temp, and fuel level, so if the latter are working correctly then the resistance wire is probably in the circuit.

Are you buying the same brand sender from the same place? Maybe they got a batch of bad ones?

well the oil gauge showed about 1/3 of the gauge reading. this is tested against the mech gauge that i ran under the hood for break in period showing 55psi. the temp showed 3/4 gauge while ir gun showed 185+_ at the intake side of thermostat. fuel gauges still read under empty even though i added five gal to check this. i realize that i may be chasing multiple issues or i may be dealing with a common one. im trying to go from common to specific . when ops is jumped the sender goes full gauge so that makes sense about it not being overcurrent by only showing part gauge.

• 1 month later...

well the oil gauge showed about 1/3 of the gauge reading. this is tested against the mech gauge that i ran under the hood for break in period showing 55psi. the temp showed 3/4 gauge while ir gun showed 185+_ at the intake side of thermostat. fuel gauges still read under empty even though i added five gal to check this. i realize that i may be chasing multiple issues or i may be dealing with a common one. im trying to go from common to specific . when ops is jumped the sender goes full gauge so that makes sense about it not being overcurrent by only showing part gauge.

glad to say the oil pressure issue "seems" to be resolved. not much time lately for the truck but i am back to it. i discussed the senders with the mgr at the parts store and we ordered a motorcraft and it has been in and working for three weeks at least now. this is a great example of not all are equal. i know to use motorcraft on my fords but its an oil pressure sender for gods sake. thats on me. now to find a coil worth using

glad to say the oil pressure issue "seems" to be resolved. not much time lately for the truck but i am back to it. i discussed the senders with the mgr at the parts store and we ordered a motorcraft and it has been in and working for three weeks at least now. this is a great example of not all are equal. i know to use motorcraft on my fords but its an oil pressure sender for gods sake. thats on me. now to find a coil worth using

Glad you got it fixed!

Glad you got it fixed!

Remember about grounds, though. I installed over 10 new grounds in my '73 Bronco, Motor to frame, Body panels to frame, Tailgate to frame, (license plate light), Floor pans to frame, Dash to kick panel, Kick panel to frame. Frame to Battery, Tank skin to the body, Core support to frame. . I have very bright stock headlights and side markers.:nabble_smiley_happy: