Bullnose Forums

83 distributor in later model roller block

I have a F1SE block made in 1993 with a Crane hyd roller cam using the OE roller parts. The cam is a machined steel cam and I plan on running this Cardone distributor offered new for the 1985 mustang GT with a 302. This was the 4V mustang that still used the DSII ignition system and has the steel gear on the distributor that will work with a non billet roller cam.

Part # 842831

Out of stock at summit till Jan 2021

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-84-2831

I bought mine from Rockauto and its out of stock there as well.

Photo of my engine build as of now with the Cardone distributor temporarily installed to show its a DSII distributor as many online sources cite this is for computer controlled and its not it has the DSII ignition module plug.

306_Short_Block_150.jpg.7813197e9d9b662e0519f130441a5555.jpg

306_Short_Block_149.jpg.675f4415411fbbf77bb884fca2d46664.jpg

I have a F1SE block made in 1993 with a Crane hyd roller cam using the OE roller parts. The cam is a machined steel cam and I plan on running this Cardone distributor offered new for the 1985 mustang GT with a 302. This was the 4V mustang that still used the DSII ignition system and has the steel gear on the distributor that will work with a non billet roller cam.

Part # 842831

Out of stock at summit till Jan 2021

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aaz-84-2831

I bought mine from Rockauto and its out of stock there as well.

Photo of my engine build as of now with the Cardone distributor temporarily installed to show its a DSII distributor as many online sources cite this is for computer controlled and its not it has the DSII ignition module plug.

Excellent! Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

I used a steel gear from Summit - it was less than $10. You just need to measure the diameter of your distributor shaft, Ford used two different sizes.

Yep you can buy a steel gear and change it out. I just went the distributor route as I wanted all new for a new engine build.

I used a steel gear from Summit - it was less than $10. You just need to measure the diameter of your distributor shaft, Ford used two different sizes.

Yep you can buy a steel gear and change it out. I just went the distributor route as I wanted all new for a new engine build.

That seems like an even easier choice! Excellent!