Bullnose Forums

V8 swap from 300 i6

Gary the plan for the truck is to have a good reliable cruiser that may carry a load in the back occasionally. I just want the truck to have a nice note (small cam) and be reliable. I'm just starting to put a list together of what I will need to chase up for the conversion.

My question is, is that small silver box that runs to the distributor the same for 6 and 8 cylinder engines or will that need to be changed as well? As for the 302 or the 351, I'm still in two minds which way to go. The 302 in a runner but out of one of my old Mustangs and the 351 I bought it to rebuild.

Parts that I need to chase up:

1. oil pan/pick up and dip stick

2. v8 Radiator

3. v8 truck engine mounts

All you need is a shifter made to move where you grip it, more forward. They are available. No big deal.

All you need is a shifter made to move where you grip it, more forward. They are available. No big deal.

Thanks guys so it sounds like all I need is an oil pan and pickup as well as a dip stick for the 302 V8 engine mounts/V8 radiator and to check out that Mal Wood rear extension housing to move the stick a bit forward. Cheers Darin

Thanks guys so it sounds like all I need is an oil pan and pickup as well as a dip stick for the 302 V8 engine mounts/V8 radiator and to check out that Mal Wood rear extension housing to move the stick a bit forward. Cheers Darin

You may also want the correct engine wiring harness. Assuming that you have a DS-II ignition system on the truck, the various wires to the distributor, temp sender, and oil pressure sender will be the wrong length to get to the appropriate places on a 302. You could shorten/lengthen them to fit, but if you have a stock tach you'll also want to add the ground to the black/light green wire shown here that tells the tach to work in 8 cyl mode as opposed to 6 cyl mode.

You may also want the correct engine wiring harness. Assuming that you have a DS-II ignition system on the truck, the various wires to the distributor, temp sender, and oil pressure sender will be the wrong length to get to the appropriate places on a 302. You could shorten/lengthen them to fit, but if you have a stock tach you'll also want to add the ground to the black/light green wire shown here that tells the tach to work in 8 cyl mode as opposed to 6 cyl mode.

Thanks Gary! I don't have a tach - just a standard dash with idiot lights.