Bullnose Forums

Fuel pump relay

old55pete

Yipes! The pump works, but is pulling way too much current? That sounds like a serious problem.

Have you checked to make sure that no one has bypassed the resistance in the pump circuit? I don't think that, by itself, would account for the hot wire. But it wouldn't help. (Sure seems strange that the Bronco has the resistor but the F-Series doesn't. Wonder why?)

The original pumps Ford used for the high pressure 1985-89 are Bosch ones, probably the same ones Mercedes used on their EFI vehicles in the 70s. My son had a 1986 F150 302 EFI truck, it had an aftermarket high pressure pump that worked but sounded like it was going to pieces. He scored a used one from a neighbor's totaled 1986 F150. When he sold the truck it was still going.

I would bite the bullet and try to find a Bosch pump.

The original pumps Ford used for the high pressure 1985-89 are Bosch ones, probably the same ones Mercedes used on their EFI vehicles in the 70s. My son had a 1986 F150 302 EFI truck, it had an aftermarket high pressure pump that worked but sounded like it was going to pieces. He scored a used one from a neighbor's totaled 1986 F150. When he sold the truck it was still going.

I would bite the bullet and try to find a Bosch pump.

as the orignal pump was a Bosh and NAPA offered a Bosh, that was what I replaced it with. The one I am putting on today is a Bosh. After I got it out, I shook it and it sounded like a trash can full of rocks. I hooked it up streight to the battrie and it made a loud hum and if I hit it with plyers it would come on for a second or so, it got so hot that I couldent hold onto it. All of the gas that drained out of it is clear.