Bullnose Forums

1986 F150 Ball Joint Replacement Question

Rembrant, that was exactly it. I was able to pull the knuckle, throw on the press, and push everything up back into place in just a few minutes. It was incredibly exciting. I also got the new inner tie rods on - so I have all new steering linkages to the power steering pump, new ball joints, and new rotors. The thing is driving like a new truck. Very exciting and feeling good about it. On to the next thing.

Thanks everyone for your help and tips on this, it was life improving. :nabble_smiley_beam:

TS

Cool! So you tightened the lower joint in first, and then the upper joint?

That upper joint is a bit wonky due to the alignment bushing(s). It can be tightened in the wrong position, which sits too low, as you found out. If you tighten the lower joint first, then it more or less dictates the position of the upper joint.

Glad you got it sorted. Well done man!

For clarity, I misspoke (mis-typed?). I actually left the knuckle in place. I put the press on and was able to scoot the entire assembly back into place by tightening the lower BJ. The camber bushing slid right up along with it, and I was able to torque the lower BJ nut correctly and then finished off with the top.

On the other side I used the nut from the old BJ instead of the new nut, as the problems I had were incurred from the thread lock/indention on the nut that was employed on the new BJ.