Bullnose Forums

1986 F150 Ball Joint Replacement Question

I went and took a pic of my old 2WD stuff (I'm converting it to 4WD). Here is where the pickle forks would go.

Seems like plenty of room to get the point of a fork in there. Is yours different than that?

So when you took them out you left the knuckle on? I took the knuckle off since you have to to fit the way the press on. But the press isn't moving it. Just burned through the rest of this propane bottle trying to heat it up, all the grease melted out of the old one. It might have moved a millimeter but it's hard to tell.

So when you took them out you left the knuckle on? I took the knuckle off since you have to to fit the way the press on. But the press isn't moving it. Just burned through the rest of this propane bottle trying to heat it up, all the grease melted out of the old one. It might have moved a millimeter but it's hard to tell.

Not sure which part you are referring to as the "knuckle". If you use the double pickle fork thing, the entire hub assembly, disk brake and all, should drop off the suspension arm. Basically everything on the right side of my picture... but I see the concern. On the 4x4 stuff, the ball joint is in the hub assembly, on the 2x4 stuff, the ball joints are pressed into the suspension arm it looks like.

With the 4x4 stuff, you take off the hub assembly and then you can take it over to the shop press and press the ball joints out.

Looks like with the 2x4 stuff, you would need to take the suspension arm out to get it on a shop press. I had not noticed that difference before. You might have to take the suspension arm off... it's only a couple bolts from where you're at. You're sure there's no circlips/snap rings you're fighting against?

Not sure which part you are referring to as the "knuckle". If you use the double pickle fork thing, the entire hub assembly, disk brake and all, should drop off the suspension arm. Basically everything on the right side of my picture... but I see the concern. On the 4x4 stuff, the ball joint is in the hub assembly, on the 2x4 stuff, the ball joints are pressed into the suspension arm it looks like.

With the 4x4 stuff, you take off the hub assembly and then you can take it over to the shop press and press the ball joints out.

Looks like with the 2x4 stuff, you would need to take the suspension arm out to get it on a shop press. I had not noticed that difference before. You might have to take the suspension arm off... it's only a couple bolts from where you're at. You're sure there's no circlips/snap rings you're fighting against?

Unfortunately the snap rings are definitely off. Big progress for me was that the top BJs on both arms have depressed enough so you can no longer see the indention where the snap ring fits. It's gnarly and frustrating.

Wish I had an oxy/acetylene torch handy. Propane isn't getting it hot enough.

Pete, I appreciate your thoughts. I might go crack a beer now. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Unfortunately the snap rings are definitely off. Big progress for me was that the top BJs on both arms have depressed enough so you can no longer see the indention where the snap ring fits. It's gnarly and frustrating.

Try MAPP gas. It gets a bit hotter than propane. And hit the side of the knuckle nearest the ball joint's stem while you have the press on and TIGHT. I had to install the press, heat the knuckle, bang the knuckle, tighten the press, heat, bang, tighten, etc.

Here's where I left it for the night. Ended up getting some help from the neighbors but all we did was successfully break a ball joint press and put a hole through the middle of one. Tomorrow we're going to try to borrow an oxy/acetylene torch to remove them.

Yar,

BJs.jpg.b61d0f5bdb27a2a136a75e12602c7190.jpg

Here's where I left it for the night. Ended up getting some help from the neighbors but all we did was successfully break a ball joint press and put a hole through the middle of one. Tomorrow we're going to try to borrow an oxy/acetylene torch to remove them.

Yar,

Bummer! Hope the oxy works.

Yar,

If something really bad happens (hope it doesn't) and the suspension arm gets damaged, you are welcome to my take-offs. It probably won't come to that, and shipping might be killer anyway. Hopefully O/A will persuade it. Can't be tight if it's a liquid, right? :nabble_smiley_happy:

If something really bad happens (hope it doesn't) and the suspension arm gets damaged, you are welcome to my take-offs. It probably won't come to that, and shipping might be killer anyway. Hopefully O/A will persuade it. Can't be tight if it's a liquid, right? :nabble_smiley_happy:

Thank you, Pete. That's a very kind offer. If the truck wasn't my "daily" driver at the moment I would love to be doing a 4wd conversion like yourself. I'll keep your offer in mind. I looked you up on the map, if shipping is nuts it's a great reason to visit Texas. I have a buddy in Abilene I'm overdue to visit.

Currently waiting to here about the O/A.

TS

Happy to report that the ball joints were all removed and replaced. The trick to get them out was taking a flap disc to the top of the ball joints that were protruding above the i-beams. I had chiseled around the edges and even clipped them with a cutting wheel to try and ensure nothing was catching, but working it a bit with a flap disc did it. Hammered right out.

Next up, a brake rotor and replacing some of the steering linkages.

Thanks Pete & Gary!

TC